IGNORED

Curious about the Atari 5200

55five66six

Yesterday in the chatroom, a few people peaked my interest in the Atari 5200. I always heard bad things about it (IE: controller easily broken, unit was HUGE, and it didn't really offer much).

Needless to say, I wasn't interested in the unit I read how closely related it is to the Atari 800 computer. This made me ponder a few questions to ask..

1.) Is there a way to expand the memory from 16KB to say.. 128KB or more.

2.) Would it be capable of the performance that an A800 would have? IE: Project-M, a Wolfenstien 3D remake, looks really impressive. So does the Space Harrier remake for the A800. Would the 5200, given it had enough memory, be capable of producing that kind of animation?

3.) Was there ever a gamepad made for the 5200? Or are the only options that one has is using a joystick?

Well, you can use gamepads on the Atari 5200, but it's a complicated process. Generally speaking, you'll have to wire up some sort of adapter that will let your 5200 use controllers for another system. Genesis adapters are pretty popular among 5200 fans, but they're typically the hardest to make. A gameport adapter is (mostly) straight wire connections and will let you fish all those old pre-USB computer joysticks out of the basement. I don't know of any other adapters, but I'm reasonably confident they could be made.

What would be nice (and I'm shooting at the moon here) is to make a Playstation adapter that connects to two 5200 joystick ports, with each of the thumbsticks replacing a 5200 joystick, the Lucky Charms buttons (X, O, Square, Triangle? I STILL think that's dumb) working as fire buttons, and the start, select, and shoulder buttons serving as function keys.

It sounds to me like you just want an A8, assuming you don't already have one. The 5200 does have some cool exclusives though, so I personally have them both (but then again, I have them all!)

There's many options for controllers, but most are getting expensive and hard to find. Fortunately, 5200 systems and most games are not very expensive, but it is true that the controllers are an issue.

Atari 5200 is my all-time favorite console. Been a fan since the 80's when I was little.

I say it's very worth looking into. Some people criticize the stock controllers but actually if you know how to fix 'em(and actually they're not that hard to repair)and/or manage to score a controller that is in good shape then you're good to go.

I don't get all the hate towards the 5200. Very awesome games on that one. I actually like it better than the NES by a slight margin...and don't argue with me on that,that's just personal preference.

• Like 4

It sounds to me like you just want an A8, assuming you don't already have one. The 5200 does have some cool exclusives though, so I personally have them both (but then again, I have them all!)
There's many options for controllers, but most are getting expensive and hard to find. Fortunately, 5200 systems and most games are not very expensive, but it is true that the controllers are an issue.

Well, I just got an Atari 800. I was just surprised that the architectures was so similar. The A800 seems like a very capable unit. I'm just surprised that more wasn't done by Atari with the 5200 considering it's based on the Atari 800. I've thought about buying one since reading about this.

Well, you can use gamepads on the Atari 5200, but it's a complicated process. Generally speaking, you'll have to wire up some sort of adapter that will let your 5200 use controllers for another system. Genesis adapters are pretty popular among 5200 fans, but they're typically the hardest to make. A gameport adapter is (mostly) straight wire connections and will let you fish all those old pre-USB computer joysticks out of the basement. I don't know of any other adapters, but I'm reasonably confident they could be made.

What would be nice (and I'm shooting at the moon here) is to make a Playstation adapter that connects to two 5200 joystick ports, with each of the thumbsticks replacing a 5200 joystick, the Lucky Charms buttons (X, O, Square, Triangle? I STILL think that's dumb) working as fire buttons, and the start, select, and shoulder buttons serving as function keys.

I guess I was more curious whether someone created a compatible gamepad for it. I've seen people hack already existing controllers. I'm just from the generation that prefers gamepads vs joysticks. :-)

Atari 5200 is my all-time favorite console. Been a fan since the 80's when I was little.

I say it's very worth looking into. Some people criticize the stock controllers but actually if you know how to fix 'em(and actually they're not that hard to repair)and/or manage to score a controller that is in good shape then you're good to go.

I don't get all the hate towards the 5200. Very awesome games on that one. I actually like it better than the NES by a slight margin...and don't argue with me on that,that's just personal preference.

Don't worry. I won't argue. I'm looking at a few auctions now to see about getting one.

The analog controls are nice for a few games, when they are working. But despite the look and mystique surrounding the 5200 - I always did my 8-bit gaming on the 400 & 800.

That seems to be the consensus from many that I've heard from. I guess my questions are based around the idea that if the 5200 was based on the 800/400, why wasn't more done with it? Being that the 7800 came out in response to the NES, I'm surprised that the 5200 wasn't just upgraded to more memory and more games. It was already superior to the 7800 in terms of sound. Also, many of the games when compared look very similar to the 7800. Probably a little less graphic quality, but I hope you see my point.

I think Atari was trying to capitalize on the backward compatibility with 2600 games that is present in the 7800.

There was a 2600 adapter (model CX-55) made by Atari for the 5200, but it didn't work with older four controller port models. The later generation 5200 with only two controller ports could use it with no problems.

One other 5200 issue that has been discussed before is the special switch box used by the older four port models and eliminated in the later two port version. A two port is easier to get up and running if you find a loose console by itself because it has a standard power hook-up unlike the older models that draw power down the RF cable through that infernal switch box!

All that said, there are many hardware modifications possible to get the most out of either model. :)

I think Atari was trying to capitalize on the backward compatibility with 2600 games that is present in the 7800.

There was a 2600 adapter (model CX-55) made by Atari for the 5200, but it didn't work with older four controller port models. The later generation 5200 with only two controller ports could use it with no problems.

One other 5200 issue that has been discussed before is the special switch box used by the older four port models and eliminated in the later two port version. A two port is easier to get up and running if you find a loose console by itself because it has a standard power hook-up unlike the older models that draw power down the RF cable through that infernal switch box!

All that said, there are many hardware modifications possible to get the most out of either model. :)

It was actually our conversation on the 5200 in the chat that got me looking into it. My wife thanks you for adding yet another unit to my obsession. :-)

So, in that case, I'd be better off with the two port model vs the 4 port model or are there modifications to change the 4 port model to the convenience of omitting the special switchbox?

It's really valuable as an owner of the 5200 to learn how to repair your own controllers.

I repaired one myself about a year ago and it still works! The start/pause/reset buttons work flawless. :D All you need is a screwdriver to open it up and an eraser to clean the contacts inside. And if it's really damaged you can just find the replacement parts really cheap on eBay.

I even scored a boxed controller recently for only $25. I only use that for when I'm playing 2 players against someone.

Oh and checkout that game Gremlins! lolz that game rules.

• Like 2

(X, O, Square, Triangle? I STILL think that's dumb)

Sony did that for colorblind people I suspect, telling them to press the yellow or red button just like the SNES pad is an insult, SEGA used ABC (and DEF too for SF2 pad) but typographically it is easier to not get printing errors if you use symbols and assign each one a colour. Dyslexic and colour blind people can then read the instructions on screen without any additional problems :)

It was actually our conversation on the 5200 in the chat that got me looking into it. My wife thanks you for adding yet another unit to my obsession. :-)

So, in that case, I'd be better off with the two port model vs the 4 port model or are there modifications to change the 4 port model to the convenience of omitting the special switchbox?

LOL, About adding more Ataris, you're welcome. My girlfriend used to think I had a case of arrested development until I got her hooked on Centipede. ;)

Four port 5200s can be modded to have a power jack. You can also add s-video or composite a/v to either model. Basic soldering skills are required. Check out the 5200 FAQ:

http://atariage.com/5200/faq.html?SystemID=5200

Yes, the two port model is probably less headache to own and operate due to that switch box. I play a stock unmodified 5200 4 switch mainly because it was the one I found in a thrift shop years ago. There are quite a few Atari 5200 videos on Youtube also worth checking out.

• Like 1

LOL, About adding more Ataris, you're welcome. My girlfriend used to think I had a case of arrested development until I got her hooked on Centipede. ;)

Four port 5200s can be modded to have a power jack. You can also add s-video or composite a/v to either model. Basic soldering skills are required. Check out the 5200 FAQ:

http://atariage.com/5200/faq.html?SystemID=5200

Yes, the two port model is probably less headache to own and operate due to that switch box. I play a stock unmodified 5200 4 switch mainly because it was the one I found in a thrift shop years ago. There are quite a few Atari 5200 videos on Youtube also worth checking out.

Well, I think I want to get the 4 port model and then mod the heck out of it. Just seems more fun!

Thanks for the link to the WIKI. It will be on my list of reading tonight!

It's really valuable as an owner of the 5200 to learn how to repair your own controllers.

I repaired one myself about a year ago and it still works! The start/pause/reset buttons work flawless. :D All you need is a screwdriver to open it up and an eraser to clean the contacts inside. And if it's really damaged you can just find the replacement parts really cheap on eBay.

I even scored a boxed controller recently for only $25. I only use that for when I'm playing 2 players against someone.

Oh and checkout that game Gremlins! lolz that game rules.

Groovy! I looked up Gremilns (and the story.. very interesting). It is a pretty good looking game. I think the game I would look forward to playing most is Adventure II. Looks really good!

As long as you have the switchbox for a four-port, and it works, there's no problems with having a four-port 5200 instead of a two-port, IMO.

The box will not electrocute you or burn your house down. It's totally safe. People like to exaggerate for humor, I guess.

As for the controllers, I tried to fix them and found I could never get them back together properly. A professionally rebuilt controller quickly stopped working. So I got my Wicos and forgot all about them.

As long as you have the switchbox for a four-port, and it works, there's no problems with having a four-port 5200 instead of a two-port, IMO.

The box will not electrocute you or burn your house down. It's totally safe. People like to exaggerate for humor, I guess.

I actually like the switch box with the 4 port. I have it directly connected to my TV. My 7800 feeds into the antenna part of the box and my Flashback 2 into the AV ports. Thus, I have three game systems plugged into one TV and never have to move wires around!

I never understood why all the hate for the 5200 either. It was a very able system for its time and more advanced than most other consoles on the market at that time. I never had an issue with the standard controller until a long time later (during the NES craze). I've had one since 1982 and it still works.

As far as "bad" things about the 5200, as long as the model you get works, and comes with at least two controllers, you will be in for a treat. The 5200 is a fun console to own even if the games are mostly identical to what the Atari 800 received. No, you can not expand the memory in the 5200 unit. It's a game machine and nothing more. Every bit of information you have received so far has been accurate. Get a four-port since it doesn't have any issues playing games like some two-ports are known for. If you can locate extra 5200 controllers grab them as they can be used for parts or be rebuilt. 5200 controllers are becoming more scarce than the console these days. Some will disagree with me but I have had good luck with Collector's Cards and Games. Prices are reasonable as well. Emulation does NOT do the 5200 any justice at all; the only way to experience a 5200 is through playing on a real 5200.

• Like 1

The 5200 is the only good thing they ever did with the A8 hardware.

Seriously though, the controllers are easy to fix and if not a few people here are normally willing to take a look at them.

I've seen some bad ones though... but you can find new flex circuits on ebay cheap enough.

And yes, Gremlins is fun! I happen to prefer using the stock controller with Gremlins.

The Atari 8-bit computers are great in their own rights. The 5200, however, I will defend until my last breath. It's not as bad as most have claimed. It's true that finding a system that hasn't been cared for and doesn't work as expected can cause some frustration.

Ebay is a good source for many things Atari related but I recommend Video 61 & Atari Sales, Best Electronics, or My Atari for a new flex circuit.

The 5200 is the only good thing they ever did with the A8 hardware.

What?!

I'd love to hear that statement explained and defended.

I have a 5200 (two actually); it was the last Atari game system I needed to find, it was my "holy grail." I love the system, its looks and size especially.

I just don't see enough difference in the user experience to see it as being all that different from the computers, when it comes to actually playing games.

I'm not going into whatever A8 vs 5200 debate there may be, but I think calling the 5200 the "only good thing they ever did with the A8 hardware" is a bit absurd. (That's not a personal attack, just an observation on the comment.)

...... The 5200, however, I will defend until my last breath. It's not as bad as most have claimed. .......

It is not bad at all.

Above I was kidding about the 5200 being the best use of A8 hardware (thus the next sentence starting in "Seriously though....").

However I will always stick to my opinion that I like and enjoy other 8-bit computers more than the A8 series.

While I hold no console before my favorite 5200.

I think when I sit at a computer I want to play a game like a RPG , Quest, Adventure type...

Games that are larger, load the next level from disk...

The quick, fast, arcade type games I like to kick back with a console to play.

I have a 65xe and a 130xe. I like them. I have all sorts of hardware, XF551, Indus GT, sio2sd, sio2pc...

I enjoy them now and then but they never hold me... I always find myself liking the same games on the C64 or Apple II better.

That is just how I feel about it, no matter how unpopular.

When I want the Atari classics I go for the 5200.

So yeah, to me, the 5200 is the best use of that hardware.

Edited by Official Ninja

The 5200 definitely fared better than the XEGS, both of which I have. I use the XEGS for BASIC programming and playing games not made for the 5200. I love the Atari 800 home computer (the original) and the 5200 is, I agree, the best use of the A8 technology. I don't think either the 5200 or the Atari 8-bits have ever been developed to their full potential yet. I believe that the 5200 could handle a small RPG style game if it were made.

The box will not electrocute you or burn your house down. It's totally safe. People like to exaggerate for humor, I guess...

The switch box should always be connected with power transformer LAST! If power arcs along the RF cable, the power brick can blow a fuse. If your supply is sealed, it must be cut open to change that fuse. The fuse on mine was blown when I first got it from a thrift, years ago. My solution was jamming a replacement in with tape.

RetroGam3Nerd on Youtube repaired one using a automotive blade type fuse. His method was a little better than mine, but I would like to see the fuse socket recessed in the casing.

The 5200 is a really cool system and was ahead of it's time. It has a nice collection of games, but yes... as you already know the controllers or "finicky". I don't want to say they suck... I used to think they sucked, but they really are great for some games. And there is no point in owning a 5200 without the Trak-Ball... it is a must have.

If your going to get into the 5200, be prepared to invest a little time and money into it. It's a high maintenance system, but worth it if you appreciate the system for what it is... a piece of VG history.

Also, if your not hell bent on collecting each and every game cartridge... you can get an SD Multicart from Atarimax... then load the roms onto it, then your in business. :)