IGNORED

How can I tell what type of USB ports are on my PC?...

ataridave

I would guess they'd be 2.0

That would have been the standard in 2004 (came out in 2000 IIRC)

should have been, I have a HP laptop thats ~2005 vintage with USB1.0 ports, once its in your hands its pretty easy to tell, you plug something in, windows will fuss that "this device would work faster on a 2.0 port, click here to see available 2.0 ports" down by the clock, and the resulting list will be empty.

course if you have the exact model number it should be trival to look up (its on the bottom of the computer)

honestly though I was quite surprised, as I have had many machines down to pentium III's with usb 2.0 onboard.

now usb 1,2 and 3 are all backwards compatible, and it may not make that much of a difference, slower transfers from flash drives and a HD webcam that would not work in 720 are the only two things that pop in mind. option B is they made USB 2.0 cardbus cards, and I have one which works really good.

Edited by Osgeld

should have been, I have a HP laptop thats ~2005 vintage with USB1.0 ports, once its in your hands its pretty easy to tell, you plug something in, windows will fuss that "this device would work faster on a 2.0 port, click here to see available 2.0 ports" down by the clock, and the resulting list will be empty.

course if you have the exact model number it should be trival to look up (its on the bottom of the computer)

honestly though I was quite surprised, as I have had many machines down to pentium III's with usb 2.0 onboard.

now usb 1,2 and 3 are all backwards compatible, and it may not make that much of a difference, slower transfers from flash drives and a HD webcam that would not work in 720 are the only two things that pop in mind. option B is they made USB 2.0 cardbus cards, and I have one which works really good.

I didn't know about USB 2.0 cardbus cards; thanks for the info! I wouldn't be using this for anything like a webcam, so a slower speed wouldn't bother me.

Edited by ataridave

I cant find mine off hand, but its a HP model card, I gave a song and a dance for it when comp-usa shut down. Its pretty nice 2 usb 2.0 ports and it came with a 2 amp wall wart you can plug in if you need to drive a hard drive from it. Usually use it with my 150Mhz pentium MMX dos game laptop to transfer files (though 98)

quick scan on ebay pulled up a no name chi-co 4 port for like less than 10 bucks shipped

Edited by Osgeld

I had a Toshiba laptop that I bought in around 2003 that had USB 1.1. I bought a Cardbus USB 2.0 adaptor, and while it was am improvement, it was *definitely* slower than a laptop with built-in USB 2.0. I was still glad to have it, and it served me well. But large disc-copies were noticeably faster with the next machine I bought that had 2.0 built-in.