IGNORED

Anything new on the horizon?

Coleco

Topic says it all: We had Gauntlet and Tempest in the past year, bringing some great additions to the library. Does anyone have anything else 5200-related afoot for the year ahead? Seems like tons of action in the INTV, CV, 2600 and 7800 worlds without much news on the 5200 front in recent months.

It would be cool to see the CV line of official releases that the 5200 didn't get make it to the 5200. I can't say I'm doing anything as I am learning Assembly but my focus is developing for the 5200. It needs more games.

5200BAS would be a good way to ease into assembly. It provides a basic (ha!) structure while not obfuscating the assembly side too much. You can use inline assembly as well.

5200 needs racers. Pole Position is the sole racer at present. I thing Enduro, Turbo and even a game like R.C. Pro Am could be done well on the good ol' 5200.

Also, somebody needs to do a home port of Make Trax, an awesome game that never got a home port. 5200 would do it justice.

Finally, why not try some arcade faves like Mappy, Elevator Action, or even Gaplus?

• Like 3

Unless the name of the game is changed, copyright issues doing Mappy and Gaplus (Namco titles), and Elevator Action (Taito) may happen. Great ideas, though. I'm not sure who would own the rights to the line of games that Universal made that seems to make up a majority of the Colecovision's game library. Make Trax, I agree, would make a great port. Since Atari originally designed the 5200 as being an "arcade machine" it would only seem fit to find arcade games that the 5200 didn't get that it could perform would add to the value of its game library. But that's just me. Maybe I need to revisit my MAME setup, go through the list, and try to find a game that didn't make it along with Make Trax.

5200 needs racers. Pole Position is the sole racer at present. I thing Enduro, Turbo and even a game like R.C. Pro Am could be done well on the good ol' 5200.

Agreed. Racers are one thing the 5200 controller is excellent for.

Enduro should be a relatively easy one to do... The Great American Cross Country Road Race for the 8-bits is based on the Enduro code. If memory limitations prohibit an all-out port of this great game, a slightly stripped "GACCRR Lite" should definitely be possible.

• Like 1

Hmmm...I'm trying to learn 6502 Assembly for the 8-bits...maybe I need to learn the 5200 specifically. Sounds like it needs more developers. Learning Assembly hasn't been too much of an issue...it's learning Antic and Display Lists that are giving me a hard time. I'll get it eventually I just need to find some routines to play around with so I can learn the code better.

Simply from a generating interest aspect I think that dealing with a few of the prototypes that are almost finished (or finished but underwhelming) would be a good idea. Stuff like adding trak-ball support to Crystal Castles or fixing the colors in Xevious. And maybe even adding the missing elements to a finished game like Zaxxon that for whatever space or time reason was sold incomplete or truncated.

I'm all for new homebrews based on new ideas as well but I have to assume those take a lot longer to finish than mods to (nearly) complete games. I think the keypad lends itself well to strategy games. Star Raiders is still my favorite 5200 game, I'd love to see other games that have lots of controller options like that one, space-themed or not. Maybe a land war game with buttons for element type (artillery, infantry, armor) or a shooter game with buttons for infrared or night vision, reload, etc.

Since Tempest is now completed, I was debating working on a new game. Since there is no hockey game for the 5200, I thought of starting one.

RealSports Hockey: USA vs. USSR.

Please consider air hockey as an alternative. I really think the joysticks would do a great job of representing paddle movement!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/186957-atari-5200-air-hockey/

• Like 1

To me what would pique my interest is arcade games that the Colecovision had. I mean.. for those of us who were a part of the 5200 vs. Colecovision wars, who didn't look with envy at what the other console had sometimes. :lol: For example I wouldn't mind seeing a version of Carnival, Cosmic Avenger, Venture, Frenzy, Time Pilot, or Pepper II. For all I know these may have been done already, but I'm not aware of them.

After that I think I would love to see a port of Scramble. It's always funny to me how we have so many ports of Super Cobra, but Scramble is a no show much of the time. :)

Edited by NE146