IGNORED

Anything new on the horizon?

Coleco

• 4 weeks later...

Topic says it all: We had Gauntlet and Tempest in the past year, bringing some great additions to the library. Does anyone have anything else 5200-related afoot for the year ahead? Seems like tons of action in the INTV, CV, 2600 and 7800 worlds without much news on the 5200 front in recent months.

Can you download or order Gauntlet?

5200 needs racers. Pole Position is the sole racer at present. I thing Enduro, Turbo and even a game like R.C. Pro Am could be done well on the good ol' 5200.

I'm not working on this now, but in the past I did play around with the idea. This would not be too difficult from somebody's first try, budding 5200 homebrewers.

post-37-0-20383800-1381145644_thumb.png

Edited by Cafeman

Can you download or order Gauntlet?

I don't know if any more will be sold or made. Mean Hamster (Ziggystar) sold out of its initial run of 50 carts, I believe, and has dropped off the AtariAge radar since that time. He generally does not release completed ROMs for his usually excellent games.

Gauntlet used a special bank-switching cart. More detail here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199703-gauntlet-pre-order-and-playable-demo/

Anyone ever find any Gauntlet Easter Eggs, BTW?

Was MULE ever ported to the 5200?

Yes it was. You can play the rom I think on the AtariMax flash carts.

So, it could/should be ported to the 800XL/XE and possibly the 7800XM then, eh? :)

I would expect the XL/XE machines to run it better, but the 7800 is a completely different platform that would have to be written from the ground up. Not to mention that the NES port is pretty close to the arcade.

How would you describe the difference between the two versions? I've played the demo of the recent 5200 MH version,but never that A8 one.

A8 Gauntlet is a port of the C64 version. The C64 version is fun to play. It is fast and responsive.

The A8 version is slow and everything has a delay to it. It is still better than the MH version though..

We need Dark Chambers ported over to the 5200. :lust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_x4hS0RKgk

Edited by Official Ninja

A8 Gauntlet is a port of the C64 version. The C64 version is fun to play. It is fast and responsive.

The A8 version is slow and everything has a delay to it. It is still better than the MH version though..

We need Dark Chambers ported over to the 5200. :lust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_x4hS0RKgk

If I recall, Mindscape did the 8-bit ports of Atari Games' Gauntlet, Paperboy, 720, Marble Madness, and Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom.

Why would the C64 version be smoother? Is it because programmers for the C64 versions had a set amount of RAM they could program for versus for the Atari 8-bit it ranged from 16K to 64K? Or was it just sloppy porting?

If I recall, Mindscape did the 8-bit ports of Atari Games' Gauntlet, Paperboy, 720, Marble Madness, and Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom.

Why would the C64 version be smoother? Is it because programmers for the C64 versions had a set amount of RAM they could program for versus for the Atari 8-bit it ranged from 16K to 64K? Or was it just sloppy porting?

No Idea, but there is no comparison between the two versions as far as gameplay is concerned. The A8 version is pretty bad. Everything happens a health second after you move the controller. reminds me of early online gaming and lag. :) I still want to get a boxed copy though. I love Gauntlet art work.

I think Mindscape did both versions, A8 and C64.

No Idea, but there is no comparison between the two versions as far as gameplay is concerned. The A8 version is pretty bad. Everything happens a health second after you move the controller. reminds me of early online gaming and lag. :) I still want to get a boxed copy though. I love Gauntlet art work.

I think Mindscape did both versions, A8 and C64.

You're right; the A8 version is terrible. Granted, from the videos I watched on YouTube, it seems like the A8 version loads faster from tape that the C64 version does loading from that cursed 1541 disk drive! The music on the A8 version is netter than the C64 version but the A8 version's SFX sounds more like TIA sounds than Pokey sounds. There were comments made on YouTube theorizing the A8 version was ported off the Amstrad version based upon how krappy the graphics were.

Maybe the solution would be to take the source code from the A8 Dark Chambers and convert it into Gauntlet. It's at least fast and the Sculptured Software programmer even uploaded some of the vids to YouTube himself. He commented that Atari Corp themselves limited him on the number of enemies that could be displayed onscreen at once so maybe more can be done now with modern programming techniques... It's actually a toss up to me which version of Dark Chambers looks the best, A8 or 7800...

You're right; the A8 version is terrible. Granted, from the videos I watched on YouTube, it seems like the A8 version loads faster from tape that the C64 version does loading from that cursed 1541 disk drive! The music on the A8 version is netter than the C64 version but the A8 version's SFX sounds more like TIA sounds than Pokey sounds. There were comments made on YouTube theorizing the A8 version was ported off the Amstrad version based upon how krappy the graphics were.

Maybe the solution would be to take the source code from the A8 Dark Chambers and convert it into Gauntlet. It's at least fast and the Sculptured Software programmer even uploaded some of the vids to YouTube himself. He commented that Atari Corp themselves limited him on the number of enemies that could be displayed onscreen at once so maybe more can be done now with modern programming techniques... It's actually a toss up to me which version of Dark Chambers looks the best, A8 or 7800...

Hi Lynxpro. I think they look just about the same graphically... Sound is terrible on both :) The C64 version is fun to play because it moves very smooth and is fluid.

As for Dark Chambers... I'd love that on the 5200. I prefer the 7800 version over the A8 version, because it looks a bit better with more colors. They both play about the same so both are excellent.