IGNORED

5200 in FPGA?

foft

• 3 weeks later...

I wired up my 5200 controller over the weekend to the de1. Keypad, joystick and buttons are working well.

Now doing some adjustments to the menu to load 16k 1/2 chip and 32k rom images. Then I'll be ready to release de1 version. For other cartridge types I'm hoping we can use/modify the support that Hias is building for the Atari xl core.

It's also running on the mist. On that there will be the option of analog stick+ keyboard or a USB 5200 controller adaptor probably.

Curious... With a real 5200 on Pete's test what are the min/max values for horiz/vert? I'm using 5v for pot common and 66uF capacitance right now - a bit off to the left on the box test. Oh and 1.7k ohm for when/if the stick potentiometer has 0 resistance.

Main reason I ask. I tried missile command - crazy fast movements! Is this playable on a real 5200?

One other question: Most cartridge images are in .bin format, not .car format. Is there a list of which are 1 chip/2 chip etc?

• Like 1

Curious... With a real 5200 on Pete's test what are the min/max values for horiz/vert? I'm using 5v for pot common and 66uF capacitance right now - a bit off to the left on the box test. Oh and 1.7k ohm for when/if the stick potentiometer has 0 resistance.

Main reason I ask. I tried missile command - crazy fast movements! Is this playable on a real 5200?

I switched to 90nF (from 60nF - should be 80nF, but I don't have any here) and its near perfect now...

Missile command plays much better when its not in trackball mode - console bit 2 wasn't wired up, doh!

I received the 5200daptor USB adaptor for the 5200 stick, so I'll get that working on MIST.

So does anyone here have a MIST or DE1 and want to give this a try soon? Its very quiet here...

Edited by foft
  • Like 3

I don't remember what values the test cart showed or the actual resistance values when I was tinkering. But, in case it helps here's some pot resistance value estimates I came up with that should allow you to approximate what the real 5200 sees from the controllers:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/117809-homebrew-controllers-modernish-5200-and-vectrex-digital/?p=1431125

"Theoretically...

From what I've seen of the 5200 joystick mechanism, the pots look they probably rotate no more than 180 degrees. Pots typically rotate 330 degrees. They are 500K pots.

180=~55% of 330, so say they rotate about 55% of their total range
55% of 500K= ~273K total delta.

Assuming the wiper moves equally to both sides of center (250K):
Low end resistance would be 250K - (273K/2) = 250K-136K=114K (approx)
Hi end resistance would be 250K + (273K/2) = 250K + 136K = 386K (approx) "

These numbers were corroborated by another member who has built adapters.

Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

Hoping to start looking at the 5200daptor on mist this week. When that works I'll put out a build. I need to do some firmware changes to the mist to make it work. Till offered to help if I send him the 5200daptor + stick, but I'm having a try myself first.

• Like 1

@foft

Is it possible to port your 5200 core to the MCC-216?

The plan is to use the USB port for a 5200daptor. Also a keyboard + analog stick as another option.

The difficulty is the mcc216 and mcctv have he raw usb data pins. The core has to do all the USB work, which is not trivial.

That makes two of us. So, for someone who is new to this, what do I have to buy?

I'd love to put this in a miniature 5200 case :D

Do you want to use carts? Do you like soldering?

If not plug and play solution will be mist + 5200daptor + 5200 controller + sd card.

If so grab a DE1 and solder some adapters:)

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?No=83

There are newer terasic boards, but you'd need to port the core...

• Like 1

The cores are on my server (www.scrameta.net - follow auto build link) for DE1 and MIST. No controller support yet in MIST and needs soldering on DE1. Still if anyone wants to look at title screens.

BTW yeah I know its NTSC and I'm using the PAL palette...

@foft, to get the 5200 core up and running are there any other files needed besides the rbf? Also in your distro for the 5200 the rbf files are labeled atari800core.rbf.

When I load the 5200 rbf core I only see a blank screen then when I press a function key (F12) I get a weird screen.

post-22122-0-40928800-1412646697_thumb.jpg

Edited by NML32

I think your SD card needs the same structure as the 8-bit core; core.rbf in root with a 5200.rom inside Atari800/rom/ and carts inside Atari800/user.

I can get past the boot screen to the same menu screen as the Atari800 core, but neither of my joysticks are moving the menus.

I can get past the boot screen to the same menu screen as the Atari800 core, but neither of my joysticks are moving the menus.

Yeah. It's a bit dull without controllers:) I should add key control to the menu.

You can put a 32k rom as acid5200.rom in the atari800/rom dir to at least load something.

• Like 2

I already received a CX52 joystick. Now i am waiting for the 5200daptor to arrive. Once i have all that i'll asap make the firmware support all those many buttons on the device. The plan is to map all but the main fire buttons to keyboard events. This way the core will directly be able to support a combination of keyboard+4-button-pad as well as the cx52+5200daptor.

I'll also add support for the 2600daptor and a pair of paddles. This isn't useful for the 5200 but the mists 2600 core will have a need for this and the atari 800 as well.

• Like 2