IGNORED

Re-soldering the controller ports

RangerG

I keep getting glitches when playing on my 5200. It isn't the controllers and it happens with all the controllers and sometimes it is the firing, sometimes the keypad, etc. It is always with controller port one. Having read through several threads, I think I need to re-solder my controller port. This make sense. I use my 5200 more than any other system and I change from stock stick to trackball to 3rd party controllers. I want to make sure I do this correctly. I need to take the 5200 apart, flip it over, and then add solder to all the solder points on the back. I need to not let solder point touch each other. I know I sound really basic, but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Have any of you done this, did it work? I am fine with soldering and basic Atari repairs, but I make sure to know exactly what I need to do. Thanks for the advice.

That's helpful, thanks Ninja.

LOL, I know its not much. I hope you get your port fixed.

I'm having trouble with my "beater" 5200. When I 1st turn it on I can't move up and down the multicart list. Seems like the stick center is way wrong but then suddenly it works ok.

I think I've narrowed it down to a bad controller cable.

I keep getting glitches when playing on my 5200. It isn't the controllers and it happens with all the controllers and sometimes it is the firing, sometimes the keypad, etc. It is always with controller port one. Having read through several threads, I think I need to re-solder my controller port. This make sense. I use my 5200 more than any other system and I change from stock stick to trackball to 3rd party controllers. I want to make sure I do this correctly. I need to take the 5200 apart, flip it over, and then add solder to all the solder points on the back. I need to not let solder point touch each other. I know I sound really basic, but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Have any of you done this, did it work? I am fine with soldering and basic Atari repairs, but I make sure to know exactly what I need to do. Thanks for the advice.

Just to confirm, the same non working buttons function every time in port 2? Unlikely it would be the console controller port itself unless a pin got pushed in. 5200 controllers have the worst button pads, though I never had an issue with the Trakball.

All of the above can cause the same problem: cable, pins, port, etc. Tread lightly.

The last one of mine that did have intermittent firing was caused by a loose-fitting controller plug in the port. If I made sure it was firmly seated, it would work fine.

Hmmm, I'll double-check the controllers in port 2 when I have issues. Zylon, how did you fix the loose port?

I heated the top plastic edge a bit and bent it inwards a little while it was still soft. Works great now. :)

The port had "oval-ed" from use over time.