IGNORED

Incognito board CPLD/BIOS update

candle

Off topic, but for some reason the date command seems to think today is Sunday even though I put in the correct date (18-11-2013). Any way to fix that?

There is no update for that yet, it may come but not sure what was said back then. The date is correct, just the day it self is off.

The excellent advice you got on the fundamentals of getting the flasher working surely helped. ;) Anyway - just flashed the CPLD update on my Incognito; all good. Thanks Candle.

EDIT: BIOS and Loader updated too, straight from the FAT32 partition using the loader. Smooth as silk.

Candle: can we sort out a utility to update the PBI ROM in the same way?

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have the same question. I might (yes might, still not sure) decide to install one of my incognito's to my Atari 800. Is the CPLD upgrade only needed if you want to upgrade BIOS using FAT32 partition, or do I also need this CPLD upgrade if I want to update bios using FJC's UFLASH.XEX tool? Or -if that UFLASH.XEX can't be used- Can I still upgrade BIOS if I use bootable ATR?

@candle there were plans you were going to create a JTAG cable for joystick port, so one could update CPLD using another Atari using joystick port. Is this still a future plan, or is it cancelled?

I have the same question. I might (yes might, still not sure) decide to install one of my incognito's to my Atari 800. Is the CPLD upgrade only needed if you want to upgrade BIOS using FAT32 partition, or do I also need this CPLD upgrade if I want to update bios using FJC's UFLASH.XEX tool? Or -if that UFLASH.XEX can't be used- Can I still upgrade BIOS if I use bootable ATR?

The CPLD update is apparently required if you want to run any flash tool from the built-in SIDE Loader. Not having the CPLD update won't prevent you from running UFLASH, my XEX PBI BIOS updates, or Candle's XEX Incognito BIOS update: it just means you won't be able to run them from the built-in SIDE loader. You could, for example, run them from an APT partition, or from a FAT16 partition using KMK's FATFS.SYS driver.

Running UFLASH from the built-in SIDE loader doesn't work yet anyway, however, since there's still a bug in the FAT DOS which prevents it from retrieving the last byte of any ROM file in the FAT partition.

• Like 1

The CPLD update is apparently required if you want to run any flash tool from the built-in SIDE Loader. Not having the CPLD update won't prevent you from running UFLASH, my XEX PBI BIOS updates, or Candle's XEX Incognito BIOS update: it just means you won't be able to run them from the built-in SIDE loader. You could, for example, run them from an APT partition, or from a FAT16 partition using KMK's FATFS.SYS driver.

Running UFLASH from the built-in SIDE loader doesn't work yet anyway, however, since there's still a bug in the FAT DOS which prevents it from retrieving the last byte of any ROM file in the FAT partition.

Hi Jon,

Well, that is excellent news for me. I have some extra time for a8 the following days (I pm'd you that already). Perhaps I'm going to upgrade an 800 with the Incognito board. I'm still hesitating, since I really appreciate them being original. But the extra features with the SIDE and all that are extremely cool too of course.

I will give it a few more thoughts.