IGNORED

Cheap Space Harrier Effect II

Gemintronic

This is a sort-of continuation of an earlier concept:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207649-cheap-space-harrier-effect-demo/

I'm trying to get a Space Harrier effect going. The multi-sprite kernel seems to give you effectively 40x32 playfields. I'm just dumb enough not to be able to hand-draw the playfield. Any idea on how to make a 3D scrolling Space Harrier background?

Here is a pic of my latest effort. Doesn't have the 3D angle :(

post-13304-0-35083800-1381589243_thumb.png

lbharrier2.bas

lbharrier2.bin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't found a way to come up with my own 3D animation for the Space Harrier background. I did play with an earlier attempt and got a little better result.

What do people think?

post-13304-0-79648700-1382615833_thumb.png

shair3.basshair3.bin

UPDATE: For some reason it doesn't smoothly scroll. The score doesn't bounce but the playfield seems to jerk up 'n down. I tried to hide that by scrolling twice as fast. If anyone has a clue how to deal with that I'm all ears :)

• Like 1

Still haven't found a way to come up with my own 3D animation for the Space Harrier background. I did play with an earlier attempt and got a little better result.

What do people think?

Interesting effect but its a bit too chunky looking vertically and the way the squares move "towards you" isn't very convincing in my opinion. Have you tried computing the chequerboard pattern's positions using real 3D arithmetic and using tables instead?

Interesting effect but its a bit too chunky looking vertically and the way the squares move "towards you" isn't very convincing in my opinion. Have you tried computing the chequerboard pattern's positions using real 3D arithmetic and using tables instead?

Don't have the skills or inclination to use math. Ballblazer required an assembly guru and even he had trouble sorting things out per frame.

If I knew how maybe I'd use math to "render" the playfield and use the result as a static animation.

The vertical chunkiness is in part because I had to use double speed scrolling to mitigate the weird shaking in the pfscroll command. I thought that was a fixed issue in bB. Maybe it was just the score shaking that was fixed.

P.S. Thanks for the honest feedback. I really do appreciate it!

Don't have the skills or inclination to use math. Ballblazer required an assembly guru and even he had trouble sorting things out per frame.

If you have 4 player controlled directions (with acceleration and velocity) to contend with as you move over the chequerboard pattern its going to be tricky. However, forward motion at a fixed speed is just going to be a pre-computed table.

If I knew how maybe I'd use math to "render" the playfield and use the result as a static animation.

Probably the best approach.

P.S. Thanks for the honest feedback. I really do appreciate it!

No worries. Its good to see people experimenting.

• Like 1