IGNORED

Are there any Component Video Mods?

Lynxpro

Just thought I'd ask the question since I've noticed several now for the NES courtesy of YouTube. Now Component never really caught on in comparison to S-Video and Composite but I'd imagine Component would be the best signal then to run through an HDMI up scaler. I did see an A8 video on YouTube that the user had S-Video output connected to an HDMI upscaler but I believe the user was either Polish or Russian so I wasn't able to understand what he was saying. Regardless, I thought it was cool!

So if anyone has added Component output to 7800s, 5200s, 2600s, A8s, STs or Jaguars, I wanna hear about it.

Speaking of cool, I saw a YouTube vid of a French user who added Bluetooth audio to his LynxII!

S-Video is a component signal... but no, the system doesn't output the individual Red/Green/Blue signals you'd need, as far as I know.

No, it isn't.

S-video is simply Chroma and Luma separated, but all colors are mashed together like Composite. Compositie is S-Video with the Chroma and Luma Combined.

Component is three separate color signals, Red Bias and luma, Blue Bias and luma, and Green/with luma and video sync.

Component is much cleaner than S-video, ans is capable of delivering up to 1080i resolution. S-Video maxes out at 480i.

Edited by ColecoGemini

Well, S-Video is a form of component video, because it has two components: Chroma and Luma. In common usage, though, component video usually refers to YPbPr.

Anyway, the Atari 2600's hardware is most suited to an S-Video output (as best quality). I'm guessing the same is true for the 5200 and 7800. For the Jaguar, I think it can output RGB, so I'm assuming that using that output would give you the best quality to convert from.

No, it isn't.

S-video is simply Chroma and Luma separated, but all colors are mashed together like Composite. Compositie is S-Video with the Chroma and Luma Combined.

Component is three separate color signals, Red Bias and luma, Blue Bias and luma, and Green/with luma and video sync.

Component is much cleaner than S-video, ans is capable of delivering up to 1080i resolution. S-Video maxes out at 480i.

S-Video is the chroma component and the luma component. Two components. Component signal. Mush them together into a composite of the two components, you get a composite signal.

Three separate color signals, assuming they're red green and blue, are called RGB or some variation. Also a component signal.

YPbPr Component can actually do 1080p, too. :) It's up to the signal source & receiver to support this, but my xbox 360 does it just fine.

The french atari 7800 supports rgb:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/165282-pal-rgb-7800-photographs/

I wonder how this exactly works.

If rgb is possible, component video should be possible too.

Edit: Looking at the 7800's schematic, it seems there is only a single color signal? (m0col): https://atariage.com/7800/archives/schematics_pal/Schematic_7800_PAL_Low.html

If so, I don't see any reason why component video / rgb should be better then s-video. Better stick whith s-video then and 'keep it simple'.

Edited by roland p

S-Video is the chroma component and the luma component. Two components. Component signal. Mush them together into a composite of the two components, you get a composite signal.

Three separate color signals, assuming they're red green and blue, are called RGB or some variation. Also a component signal.

YPbPr Component can actually do 1080p, too. :) It's up to the signal source & receiver to support this, but my xbox 360 does it just fine.

The semantic argument here doesn't change the fact that S-video and YPbPr are quite different, and we both know the OP was referring to YPbPr as "component" because that is the common usage.

And no, you can't get a raw "component" signal out of a 7800, unfortunately.

Just thought I'd ask the question since I've noticed several now for the NES courtesy of YouTube. Now Component never really caught on in comparison to S-Video and Composite but I'd imagine Component would be the best signal then to run through an HDMI up scaler. I did see an A8 video on YouTube that the user had S-Video output connected to an HDMI upscaler but I believe the user was either Polish or Russian so I wasn't able to understand what he was saying. Regardless, I thought it was cool!

So if anyone has added Component output to 7800s, 5200s, 2600s, A8s, STs or Jaguars, I wanna hear about it.

Speaking of cool, I saw a YouTube vid of a French user who added Bluetooth audio to his LynxII!

The NES mode requires stealing the PPU chip from the Playchoice boards (custom arcade game hardware that Nintendo made during that time..) This special PPU version had the seperate channels required for RGB. Broadly speaking you cant modify a PAL/NTSC NES from the base unit to obtain these channels with existing PPU chips. (Ebay but still scarce - somebody should make these - would make a small fortune)

The 7800 Maria Chip has the familiar 4 x lums (0-3) and the chroma channel (color signal) which require the lums to be combined at one stage and either mixed (with chroma) to make composite or not - S-video is produced. All the A8 chips for graphic have this native element and the 2600 TIA with one less lum channel IIRC. Any ecconomical produced post processing would be really the binary elements - Light level(s) and color and post - processed to create the seperation required - so like S-vid through the RBG channels instead.

A 7800 verson of the VBXE would be ideal - http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=82

but i think the user base is far lower than financially viable.

A custom Maria chip to allow this would be great but like above, i can t see it being done as i think the demand would be low where composite and S-video solutions are not costly and satifactory to most.

Edited by Magic Knight

You can have it converted to component video as well if you have one of those SCART to component converters. Your TV would have to handle 50 Hz video though.

Hmmm...none of those Jaguar SCART to HDMI vids ever mentioned anything about 50hz requirements for flat panel HDTVs... Of course there would be an unmentioned caveat!