IGNORED

Atari 5200 digital controller / adapter similar to the Vectrex?

grips03

Has anyone made an Atari 5200 controller similar to the Vectrex one below?

Vectrex Schematic:

Joystick Direction Control:

+5V (Pin 7)

^

.__|__/\/\/\/\___.

| |

Joystick RIGHT -| 3.3K |

(+socket) | ._____/\/\/\/\___|

|

|

|-------- X Direction

3.3K | (Pin 5)

._____/\/\/\/\___|

| |

Joystick LEFT -| |

|

-5V (Pin 9)

+5V (Pin 7)

^

.__|__/\/\/\/\___.

| |

Joystick UP -| 3.3K |

|

|

|-------- Y Direction

3.3K | (Pin 6)

._____/\/\/\/\___|

| |

Joystick DOWN -| |

|

-5V (Pin 9)

here is the schematic that looks like it will work with Atari 5200. I'm going to build on some proto board and test out.

Please note this does require microswitches that are both normally open and normally closed.

Values on the right are from stick Atari 5200 and so vary, example sometimes I would get

3.7 to 4.0v

1.5 to 1.8v (center)

.9v to 1.1v

post-27883-0-00167100-1382898788_thumb.jpg

there is a sneakier way to fool a 5200 without having to use nc buttons if you ground the x y directions using the fire button ground it's charge time goes infinite (use a resistor just for safety)

so you use that idea for right and down

can you diagram up that method for me? using all NO microswitches would be nicer

I put the above diagram on protoboard and it works fine

all resistors are 240kohm

push_zpsea17314e.gif

why 240k ohm?

When I measured the center of the controllers here I got 280k.

Perhaps both are not right and it should really be 250K as they are 500k pots and that should be center?

I see R132 pot in console to adjust center (using Pete's cart), but I think Atari must have adjusted this pot before shipping, i.e. out of the factory they all might be a little bit diferent. Perhaps their is a service manual that explains how to adjust using a mulimeter?

the low-budget design is good for adapters, but is not needed for a controller pcb, as only resistors are needed.

I've been using my 6 resistor design for the past serveral weeks and it works great, but does require 2 normally closed microswitches.

I've not tried bohoki's design but I suspect it will work well too.

Has anyone made an Atari 5200 controller similar to the Vectrex one below?Vectrex Schematic:Joystick Direction Control:                     +5V (Pin 7)                      ^                      |     10K                   .__|__/\/\/\/\___.                 |                  |Joystick RIGHT  -|         3.3K     |(+socket)        | ._____/\/\/\/\___|                                    |                                    |                                    |-------- X Direction                           3.3K     |          (Pin 5)                   ._____/\/\/\/\___|                 |                  |Joystick LEFT   -|                  |(+socket)        | ._____/\/\/\/\___|                      |    10K                      |                    -5V (Pin 9)                     +5V (Pin 7)                      ^                      |    10K                   .__|__/\/\/\/\___.                 |                  |Joystick UP     -|         3.3K     |(+socket)        | ._____/\/\/\/\___|                                    |                                    |                                    |-------- Y Direction                           3.3K     |        (Pin 6)                   ._____/\/\/\/\___|                 |                  |Joystick DOWN   -|                  |(+socket)        | ._____/\/\/\/\___|                      |    10K                      |                    -5V (Pin 9)

no one as far as i know has made one yet, but hopefully recycledgamer.com will make one :)

the one I drew works by using two 560k in parallel, so equivalent resistance is 280k = this is the center - or can be made to be the center by adjusting the pot on the 5200

if you press right to open the circuit it removes the second 560k resistor, so resistance is now 560k - this is the normally closed path

if press left it closes the circuit with the 15k resistor and puts it in parallel with the 280k resistor, so equivalent resistance is about 15k - this is the normally open path

these match the resistance measured on my Best gold dot controller

I'm adding rapid fire, then going to hack into NeoGeoX controller with a matrix keypad. It will plug directly into Atari 5200 via db15 cable

Edited by grips03