IGNORED

Sentinel PAL to NTSC conversion

rhcocker

I dunno. What other stuff you got? Is Klax as good as the NES Tengen version? I definitely still need to order the light gun through Best though.

I don't think it would be as good because the conversion doesn't support the POKEY audio present in the arcade original. 7800 Klax and any future port of Tengen Tetris should support the POKEY audio of the original arcade versions.

I've got Klax for NES. That bass-heavy soundtrack is so wicked! Yeah I agree it's a mixed bag playing arcade ports on 7800 since many of them have better conversions for NES/Famicom. Also many SMS and 7800 exclusive games were released for NES under the unlicensed Tengen label. Tengen MS Pacman NES throws the 7800 version under the bus, although the 7800 title is more comparable to the Namco NES version. The Tengen remake was also ported to Genesis.

I also enjoy playing arcade ports on the 2600 as well because of the primitive rawness of it. 7800 lies kind of in between 2600 and NES if that makes sense.

I've got Klax for NES. That bass-heavy soundtrack is so wicked! Yeah I agree it's a mixed bag playing arcade ports on 7800 since many of them have better conversions for NES/Famicom. Also many SMS and 7800 exclusive games were released for NES under the unlicensed Tengen label. Tengen MS Pacman NES throws the 7800 version under the bus, although the 7800 title is more comparable to the Namco NES version. The Tengen remake was also ported to Genesis.

I also enjoy playing arcade ports on the 2600 as well because of the primitive rawness of it. 7800 lies kind of in between 2600 and NES if that makes sense.

I wouldn't say that...most games that are available on the 7800 and the NES are better on the 7800 with the exception of audio... Galaga, Centipede, Double Dragon, Ikari Warriors, Commando, Ball Blazer, etc. Actually, with the POKEY chip included, I'd rank the audio on the 7800 versions better than the NES counterparts.

Tengen versions are special examples because Atari Games staff seemed far more skilled than most of their competitors and I'd definitely rank Tengen's programmers far above GCC's especially in terms of pride in the finished product [when comparing GCC's Ms Pac-Man on the 7800 vs Tengen Ms Pac-Man on the NES], although GCC seemed to definitely put the polish to their port of their own arcade game Food Fight.

I wouldn't say that...most games that are available on the 7800 and the NES are better on the 7800 with the exception of audio... Galaga, Centipede, Double Dragon, Ikari Warriors, Commando, Ball Blazer, etc. Actually, with the POKEY chip included, I'd rank the audio on the 7800 versions better than the NES counterparts.

Tengen versions are special examples because Atari Games staff seemed far more skilled than most of their competitors and I'd definitely rank Tengen's programmers far above GCC's especially in terms of pride in the finished product [when comparing GCC's Ms Pac-Man on the 7800 vs Tengen Ms Pac-Man on the NES], although GCC seemed to definitely put the polish to their port of their own arcade game Food Fight.

Food fight is awesome. I picked that little game off Ebay with free shipping and am loving it. It's a hilarity fun game. For the record, I've only had the opportunity to play MS Pacman and Donkey Kong so far as I'm waiting for a huge order to ship from Atari 2600 dotcom. They appear to be backordered due to the Florida game haul as my June 14th order just recently shipped yesterday.

Food fight is awesome. I picked that little game off Ebay with free shipping and am loving it. It's a hilarity fun game. For the record, I've only had the opportunity to play MS Pacman and Donkey Kong so far as I'm waiting for a huge order to ship from Atari 2600 dotcom. They appear to be backordered due to the Florida game haul as my June 14th order just recently shipped yesterday.

The way GCC made the sprites move in Food Fight in 1984 is proof enough that Absolute Entertainment half-assed their port of Kung Fu Master to the 7800. The defeated enemies should easily be flung off the screen on the 7800 - like the arcade and NES versions - but no, Absolute just made them disappear. Aside from audio - unless a POKEY could've been used - there's no valid reason why the 7800 version of Kung Fu Master isn't better than the NES version [Kung Fu] based upon system abilities.

Just wanted to add my two cents about 7800 arcade ports. There were several games 7800 got that NES didn't; as well I was playing Galaga and Centipede on my 7800 (my big haul from 2600 dotcom came in) and the gameplay is excellent. I wanted to love but never could get into the NES Millipede port that much but the 7800 Centipede is so awesome.

Sorry for the triple post as I can't edit my replies with 3DS. Got sore thumbs playing Pacman Plus Collection (Ms Pacman, random mazes) on my modded NES-to-Atari gamepad. Definitely time to build another Arcade joystick.

I pulled out Dig Dug 7800 for the first time earlier and man it's hard. Dunno about the arcade title but the Famicom and 2600 versions seem a bit more fair although I like the "continue" feature the 7800 version provides. Joust and Asteroids are definitely on my "get" list though.

I pulled out Dig Dug 7800 for the first time earlier and man it's hard.

Have you tried playing it with a joystick instead of the gamepad? You may just need to gain more experience with the mechanics. Relative to the original Arcade game, the difficulty and challenge is taken down a few notches for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCDU4LRtPk

Give it more time and practice. Try the "Teddy Bear" mode too in order to practice more with less challenge.

• Like 1

Yeah I was comparing period released arcade ports (NES vs 7800) not homebrew. Of course modern homebrew efforts will trump them.

Even better when you add POKEY support and high score saving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWug9ZW854

:)

I read the thread about 320px Pacman & Ms Pacman. While I do understand the technical reasons for the lack of colors and transparency, it kind of kills it a little. The low resolution Pacman collection is awesome however. I would love to get the recent "Pokey" version of the Pacman Collection to supplement my PMP 30th anniversary cart, if Bob approves it.

Hopefully the "Hokey" chip will allow more enhanced homebrews in the future. I'd rather have a Hokey/Pokey cart than an XM release that won't work without the XM module.

NES lies kind of in between 2600 and 7800, that makes sense! :P

Seriously, both NES and 7800 are third generation systems. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28third_generation%29

More like the NES lies somewhere between the 7800 and SMS... :ponder:

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but...

Can the 7800 do this?

Or this?

Compare the above to this:

That said, 7800 is still fast becoming my goto arcade machine! :D

More like the NES lies somewhere between the 7800 and SMS... :ponder:

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but...

Can the 7800 do this?

SMS base hardware overall blows both NES and 7800 base hardware out of the water.

As for Castlevania III, a base NES/Famicom cannot handle that game.

The following additional cartridge hardware updates were utilized and are required for the game to run:

-Extra RAM.

-Extra sound channels (2 square waves).

-Vertical split screen scrolling.

-Improved graphics capabilities - Makes 16,384 different tiles available per screen rather than only 256.

-Improved graphics capabilities (again) - Allows each individual 8x8-pixel background tile to have its own color assignment instead of being restricted to one color set per 2x2 tile group.

-Highly configurable program ROM and character ROM bank switching.

-A scanline-based IRQ counter.

The NES needed a heck of a lot of help to pull off Castlevania III (In fact, ~90% of the NES' entire library requires additional hardware support above the base console to run). The above additions are way beyond anything an XM module provides to the 7800.

Regardless, as a "wild guess" - the 7800 having the same hardware and software development support - yes, it can handle it. ;)

• Like 2

I am in the middle of debugging RLW stuff and waiting for another link, but I'll just say this real quick: "Dude, I bet we could slap an ARM into a cart that directly accesses on-cart RAM and create basic commands to trigger flat or Gouraud shaded 3D rendering into said RAM.".

I ain't going there, but I bet it can be done. ;)

• Like 4