IGNORED

Will a Genesis mutli tap work on a SMS?

GoldenWheels

So far as a port re-locator?

I realize there's no four player SMS games...the goal here would be to relocate where I can plug the controllers in. I am building kind of a "portable" (or at least mobile) CRT gaming station. Hidden wires being a big part of it.

System sits right above my TV, that's where I want it for display and my design leaves no room anywhere else anyway....so each time I play the cords need to be routed to the side (where they are visible and it would need to be done each time, don't like that) and they still kind of hang or swing in the way.

Using the multitap, either the Sega one or the Electronic Arts one, would allow me to hide all the multitap cords in the guts of the cabinet and plug in under the TV, which I would much prefer (I am setting up a nes in this thing too using a four score this way). I see no reason this would not work since it is of course the same pin pattern and the whole deal. Chances are I'd be using a Genesis pad actually, since I like them better than the SMS one.

If not I have simple extension cables with ports so big on the end they'd look ok mounted and recessed. But a Four Score on one side for the NES and an EA Genesis tap for the SMS (I like the design better than the sega one) on the other would have a very nice symmetry and therefore a much better look overall.

Loon, the Genesis pads definitely work on the SMS. Though I read there ARE a handful of games which don't work, maybe 6 or 7. The extension cables definitely work to extend Genesis controllers off of a SMS (I do it now so I can sit further away on my old setup)--but they won't look as nice mounted (even if 2 of the 4 ports would be superfluous anyway!).

The Sega tap in particular worries me...it has a switch for differing modes (maybe like the Four Score has a switch for 2 or 4 player mode?) and I guess I could see that somehow causing an issue. The EA tap has no switches AND design wise fits my application WAY better (would be easier for me to mount forward facing mostly).

Looks like I can get one you know where for only like 8$....I may just bite the bullet. If it doesn't work...well now I have one for my collection, which is good. I guess. Ha.

I must have been thinking about SMS -> 2600. Still, why not go for an extension cable instead of a 4 player adapter that may or may not be wired for what you need? I'm probably not understanding your vision properly, so forgive me if I sound off-putting :)

NP man! I admit the idea of two of the ports just being "there" but totally pointless kind of bugs me! I just think the finished product would look better. Not sure!