IGNORED

Atari 7800 issue - LED comes on, no video or audio

reverendshoebox

Hi, all.

Got a problem with a recently-acquired Atari 7800 - when I plug it in and power it up, the LED comes on but there's no video or audio.

Power supply is known working, TV and RCA cable / coaxial adapter are known working, cartridges tested are known working, and I've cleaned the heck out of the cartridge slot. I visually inspected the board for blown capacitors and don't see any.

Not sure what to do from here. If it's just the RF modulator, I'm fine with that, because I'd love an excuse to try the composite video/audio mode. But how can I tell if that's the issue before I start down that road? Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks much,

-=ShoEboX=-

I wanted a spare 7800 and believe it or not i purchased three.........yes three separate systems all in good boxed condition and they are all like this, I tested them on the same tv my current 7800 is tuned to but there is no picture and when i recycle on the tune it will never find a setting so it must be RF, Have you tried re-tuning, If it doesn't find it i would say you have the same issue, One seller wanted the console back the other two said throw them away i obviously wasn't going to do that but i think i now have two mod candidates, The only issue i have is being in the u.k i dont use s-video i want an RGB scart mod but im not sure one exists.

Q: for those that know (which is NOT me)..

Could he tap a few wires somewhere and hook them to an A/V input and see if he gets anything?

I know the basic composite video MODs require an AMP (and some resistors, etc) for the video, but would he be able to see or hear ANYTHING just as a test with just some wires connected to some pins?

That would at least tell him if the system/game is working??

desiv

• Like 1

Alright...no dice on the audio. I hooked up the POKEY and the audio out as described and get no sound. Tried both an Atari 7800 cartridge and a 2600 cartridge. Nothing but a click when the power comes on.

Apolloboy, what do I need to check on the aforementioned 14-pin IC?

Anything else I should look at?

Thanks,

-=ShoEboX=-

This isnt related or anything that can help you but something very odd happened with my 7800 last night, Now nearly all my pal consoles tune in on the same channel and that channel has been set since about 89-90' when i got my NES, last night i was playing some NES then switched over to 7800 all on same tv same channel no issues, I then dug out my Super NES as i picked up a new game last night, plugged it in with same rf on same channel it came straight on no problems, I thought i would have a few games on pav-man collection before wrapping it up for the night but when i switched back over to my 7800 it had lost its tuning, re-tuned to the same channel and all was well again.

Hi, all.

Got a problem with a recently-acquired Atari 7800 - when I plug it in and power it up, the LED comes on but there's no video or audio.

Power supply is known working, TV and RCA cable / coaxial adapter are known working, cartridges tested are known working, and I've cleaned the heck out of the cartridge slot. I visually inspected the board for blown capacitors and don't see any.

Not sure what to do from here. If it's just the RF modulator, I'm fine with that, because I'd love an excuse to try the composite video/audio mode. But how can I tell if that's the issue before I start down that road? Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks much,

-=ShoEboX=-

Just to check - is the power supply an original Atari or OEM equivalent?

ive seen units power up to at least a LED on etc, but fail to play due to being on the power threshold. Im assuming the psu and cartriges have been tested on a friends machine before you know they are ok?

• 4 weeks later...