IGNORED

What do I need to do for the extra sounds in Mr. Gimmick?

Deemar

I've got the full sound game from www.timewalkgames.com and I have an unmodified top loader. All the tutorials I find online use the expansion pack on the bottom of the front loader which the top loader doesn't have. Is there a way to play this game on this system with full sound?

Another question for bonus points, I also have a PowerPak which I would like to put the Mr. Gimmick ROM on. Do I need to do anything extra to go this route?

Thanks.

To play with the full sound, you need the two audio pins on the famicom cartridge wired to the sound outpit.. it's an MMC with a built-in AY. The pins were re-worked to route to the lockout chip on the mainboard for the Western releases of the NES, but on the famicom those would connect to the sound output lines. I have heard success stories of hacking an NES to support these channels without having a degree in electronics, but for the most part, it requires some extra wires, solder and time to do this.

There may be an adaptor now to solve this problem, but I haven't checked the interwebs for such a device. The ones I've seen that have Famicom capabilities are DIY-hacks at retro computing meets, and I never asked how they accomplished it. Perhaps if that guy brings it next month, I'll ask him.

Edit: just now realized you ARE talking about the Top-loader. I think the top-loader lost those routes on the motherboard entirely. I'm not 100% sure on that, though.

Edited by Csonicgo