IGNORED

My latest revision of the MegaCart+

CPUWIZ

The board is a beauty! CPUWIZ ROX! I just wish it had a POKEY slot on it so I don't have to carry my XM around with me. In fact, make it a dual POKEY with dual bankswitch and NVRAM. That should keep the 7800 busy & warm, but not hot. Code Blue

The idea of the megacart+ with pokey would make the XM unit next to redundant and I can see the megacart+ getting pokey added a lot quicker than the xm getting released.

Plus such a PCB would work with all 7800's so there would be no need to have a 32x...I mean XM to run a handful of games.

The idea of the megacart+ with pokey would make the XM unit next to redundant

I disagree, there is not enough room inside a cart to do all the cool things the XM can do. I hope Curt gets better soon.

I can see the megacart+ getting pokey added a lot quicker than the xm getting released.

I am not going to argue with that. :ponder:

MCPOK.JPG

• Like 3

How about a quadcopter attachment for the expansion port, so it can hover around the room, while you play? :P

Just paid for the MegaCart+ board run, ETA Dec.24th (yeah right!). LOL

Sweet. Bluetooth included in that cart to control that quadcopter? :)

Pokey, Dual Pokeys… shame there wasn't a large stock of Quad Pokey chips out there. But I guess that's why someone created the Quad Pokey Elimination Board for the arcade machines with faulty chips.

Edited by Lynxpro

...there would be no need to have a 32x...I mean XM...

:roll:

The Sega 32X adds two 32-bit RISC processors and an additional Graphics Processing Unit to the 16-bit Sega Genesis.

The XM unit adds no such things to the Atari 7800. The 6502[C] CPU and Maria graphics of the Atari 7800 are still the same.

The additional memory, sound chips (One of the two already included in two of the original library's games), and high score saving that a developer may decide to utilize which the XM adds in a central unit for the Atari 7800, is nothing different than what both Sega and Nintendo performed with their respective Sega Master System and Nintendo Entertainment System mostly on a cart-by-cart basis.

Sega Master System 'XM': http://www.smspower.org/Development/SMSPagingChips & http://etim.net.au/smsfm/smsfm.html

Nintendo Entertainment System 'XM': http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/nes_cart/rom.txt & http://classicalgaming.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/fidelity-concerns-the-lost-sound-expansion-chips-of-the-nes/

From the responses that are less than positive in various threads, the issue, as mentioned previously, seems to be more of "required hardware needs to be inside each individual cart" rather than "it can't utilize that particular feature/hardware" [to still be considered a 7800 (game)].

It's understandable if the concept of having some of the hardware centralized is not liked by all, but the negativity and jabbing of the XM unit along with false claims does no good, it only harms to the community.

Nonetheless, a PCB (modification) which supports the MegaCart+ and has a POKEY chip onboard becomes massed produced - Fantastic! Looking forward to it; as more options and choices are provided to homebrew developers for their games – that is a very good thing. CPUWIZ is demonstrating nothing shy of genius with the work he has accomplished here. It is very much appreciated.

• Like 3

Hmm, POKEY was not that big of a challenge, the challenge is going to be making as many features as possible available on one board. ;)

Actually, the challenge will be figuring out how to cram all that stuff into a shell that isn't larger than a Xonox double ender!!! :lol:

Hmm, POKEY was not that big of a challenge, the challenge is going to be making as many features as possible available on one board. ;)

Awesome! But if that wasn't a big enough challenge for you, CPUWIZ, try it with a QUADPOKEY out of an old Atari arcade machine… :)

…or a YM2151. :)

Edited by Lynxpro