IGNORED

Kung-Fu Master - why with the one-buttonness?

reverendshoebox

Just played the Atari 7800 version of Kung-Fu Master for the first time in years on my newly-composite-video-modded Atari 7800 that my wife wishes I would shut up about, and realized I'd completely forgotten how much it aggravates me.

WHY would this be done as a one-button game, when the arcade version has two buttons and the 7800 HAS two friggin' buttons available?

WHY, I ASK YOU??

Graphics are pretty nice, though.

-=ShoEboX=-

Hmmm. It's a toss up between whether the 7800 version or the NES version is the best 8-bit version. The NES has better character graphics and animations but the 7800 version moves fast like the arcade and has a lot of background detail missing from the NES but the colors looked too washed out.

If the source is available, that wouldn't be too hard to revise. Making it two buttoned would be even better.

Atarimania has an A8 version, maybe POKEY audio would also be an improvement.

Wow, the MSX version is terrible...

Hmmm. It's a toss up between whether the 7800 version or the NES version is the best 8-bit version. The NES has better character graphics and animations but the 7800 version moves fast like the arcade and has a lot of background detail missing from the NES but the colors looked too washed out.

If the source is available, that wouldn't be too hard to revise. Making it two buttoned would be even better.

Atarimania has an A8 version, maybe POKEY audio would also be an improvement.

Wow, the MSX version is terrible...

Okay, but what about enabling the second fire button?

POKEY or YM audio is necessary, and the defeated characters need to be flung off the screen instead of disappearing. That was lazy work on the part of the conversion since the MARIA chip handles sprites so well...

Shame about the 1-button-controls, especially since Kung Fu Master is a game that looks pretty good on the 7800. I would also believe that the game is based on the 2600 version, seeing the 1-button-support and hearing that the sound is identical. I know the 7800 uses the same chip for music, but that it sounds exactly the same shows that they did not put much extra work into the 7800 version and reused stuff without even trying.

That said, the 2600-version is pretty amazing considering the hardware, and the sound is a pretty good rendition too, so it's not as bad as it could have been to have the 7800 version based on the 2600 one so heavily.

• Like 1