IGNORED

What's your favourite substitute controller?

liammw8

Wico Command Stick is my main Atari controller that lasted fro many years, used from 2600 to ST.

Other controlers were Sega Master System gamepad for 8 direction games (ie Yars) and 2600 TracBall for certain games that don't need exact precision.

• Like 1

The Suncom TAC-2.....

post-16281-0-82029300-1387793160_thumb.jpg

.....is probably my all-around favorite.

The Epyx 500XJ.....

post-16281-0-22390900-1387793177_thumb.jpg

......ranks right up there with it, for me.

The TAC-2 is good for lefties, but since I'm not one, the lefty fire button sometimes gets hit inadvertently; I need to disable it.

The 500XJ is really nice, but for real shoot-em-ups (Galaga-style shooting) the fire finger gets kind of tired. But for stuff like Pacman - or stuff with a moderate amount of firing - it's incredible and the best. As an aside, the 500XJ is also available for NES and Master System. On the Master System, it's more of a boon than it is on the Atari, because the Atari has so many other fine controllers and the Master System has so few, and the D-pad on the Master System controller sucks.

• Like 2

I used to favor the PS2 dual shock controller, for precise control without wearing out my hands..

gallery_34947_953_79064.jpg

Right now, I am mostly using a microswitch controller made in Greece by a company called CMS:

CIMG0454.jpg

I still prefer the CX-40 with a Stick Stand for Pac-Man games, and I use the Starplex controller for Asteroids-type games (like Star Castle).

• Like 1