IGNORED

Bentley Bear Crystal Quest Running Without XM!

CPUWIZ

I have a few loose edge connectors of the right size (36 contacts, 2.54mm pin pitch), but they're all vertical PCB solder tail types, like this:

pcb.JPG

The pins on these aren't nearly long enough to reach the top edge of a cartridge board. I just checked the 7800 cartridge slot, and the connectors that Atari used have much longer pins, like the HSC pass-through. The component vendors I checked don't seem to carry an exact match for Atari's connectors (they probably haven't been manufactured in years), but if you'd like, I could send you one of my spare 7800 motherboards so you can extract the connector from that.

I'll ask again, does anyone know where to get the connector?

Perhaps this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EBC12DCWN/S3304-ND/927256

Or this: https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~eu_en/elfa/init.do?item=43-121-15&toc=0&q=345-024-520-202

Discussion here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/122089-place-to-get-femal-atari-cartridge-edge-connectors/

'Possible' problem: "It's just a standard 24-pin 0.1" female edge connector. The only non-standard part is the widget that unlocks the door on older carts."

This may be "Best" :): http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm#based

Specifically these...

Atari 2600A 24 pin female Cartridge Connector, straight. This new replacement 24 pin 2600A Cartridge connector is a slightly different version (but is fully compatible with the stock Atari OEM 24 pin straight connector) compared to the Atari OEM 24 pin 2600A Cartridge connector. New 24 pin 2600A Cartridge connector is supplied with a quick reference Atari Tech install guide. CO15902 $4.95

Listed previously in other threads, but perhaps with the purchase of the above in bulk, the $10/ea POKEY may be brought down in price if bought in bulk as well (?):

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

CO12294 / 137430 (POKEY) $10.00

Heh, thanks, but the 7800 uses 32 pins in a span of a 36 pin connector (2 missing pin rows that make up the gap in the PCB).

Using a full 36 pin connector may be better anyway. You could use the extra 4 pins for cartridges designed specially for the expansion cart, perhaps as extra address lines from a mapper in the pass through cart. This would be sort of like the XM, but you wouldn't have to worry about compatibility with existing cartridges since they don't have any contact with the extra pins any way.

The problem I am seeing with a 5200 cart connector right now, is that you can insert the cart too far left or too far right and short out full rows. Fine for testing, it will be. yoda.gif

EDIT: Actually, it isn't as bad as I thought, there should be no cross-over. Which is good, those connectors should not be difficult to find.

• Like 1

The problem I am seeing with a 5200 cart connector right now, is that you can insert the cart too far left or too far right and short out full rows. Fine for testing, it will be. yoda.gif

EDIT: Actually, it isn't as bad as I thought, there should be no cross-over. Which is good, those connectors should not be difficult to find.

CO18081 Atari 2 and 4 port 36 pin Cartridge connector $5.95

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52_j.htm#5200Dia

Best Electronics having both the 2600 and 5200 cart connectors for $4.95 and $5.95 respectively, may likely mean they also have the 7800 ones in stock for around the same price. They have a huge catalog that unfortunately is not online (Only a fraction of their total inventory is online), but reaching out via email can confirm what they do or do not possess.

Last confirmation of them being in stock (that was found posted) is back in Feb 2011 here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176737-so-i-just-bought-a-7800-to-play-my-2600-games-and/?do=findComment&comment=2222151

"Best electronics said they would sell me...a 7800 female cart connector."

If you stick with the full 36 and go with Digikey, this may be an option: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EBC18DCWN-S371/S3310-ND/927262

Depending on how many purchased, pricing varies:

post-18-0-57387300-1388066554_thumb.png

I've just sent off the design to China, this will be my last contribution to the 7800, unless I can actually recoup some of the investment (highly doubtful). This board is gonna be 4 times as expensive as the one in my avatar.

Oh yeah, I also added support for 32K and 64K chips, since a lot of people have stock of them. I wrote some PLD code to do this, when I got Super Circus from Bob.

If it were see-through, this is what it's gonna look like...

lol

You'll probably recoup most of the investment from me alone! :lol:

• Like 6

None of those 36 pin connectors will work on the 7800, the legs aren't long enough for the height of the cartridge guide for the 7800 and your carts won't make proper contact. I've tried them already when I was designing the BOM for the XM's

I may have to make this...

"XM with a long term view in mind saves time, money, and other resources."

...as my signature. ;)

I think I've stated it or something extremely similar, often enough. :-D

Nonetheless, new developments are always welcomed, and having different alternatives and methods is usually a good thing. Love seeing all the new software and hardware being worked on for the 7800...Thank you all!

• Like 1

I may have to make this...

"XM with a long term view in mind saves time, money, and other resources."

...as my signature. ;)

I think I've stated it or something extremely similar, often enough. :-D

Nonetheless, new developments are always welcomed, and having different alternatives and methods is usually a good thing.  Love seeing all the new software and hardware being worked on for the 7800...Thank you all!

XM could become a "standard" of sorts in terms of support with XM POKEY, XM 128K, XM YM2151, and XM HSC designations.

You could then also list XBoard POKEY/Dual POKEY and XBoard 128K as other standards.

• Like 1

Made a little breakout board, a lot cleaner than the wire mess I had before. Works fine with a 36pin AMP connector, as for a cartridge guide, I don't think I'll need that. I may just put some extra legs on the board, so they go into the place where the case legs insert. :)

:D

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 3

Made a little breakout board, a lot cleaner than the wire mess I had before. Works fine with a 36pin AMP connector, as for a cartridge guide, I don't think I'll need that. I may just put some extra legs on the board, so they go into the place where the case legs insert. :)

:D

You've been very busy Mr. Wiz... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Heh, was a bit late last night, just realized that I already posted a pic. LOL

PTP = Pass Through POKEY

POC = Proof Of Concept

BBCC = Bentley Bear Crystal Quest (I always think Crystal Castles)

DKXM = Donkey Kong XM

P0400 = POKEY @ $0400

P0450 = POKEY @ $0450

Check! :D

Heh, was a bit late last night, just realized that I already posted a pic. LOL

PTP = Pass Through POKEY

POC = Proof Of Concept

BBCC = Bentley Bear Crystal Quest (I always think Crystal Castles)

DKXM = Donkey Kong XM

P0400 = POKEY @ $0400

P0450 = POKEY @ $0450

Check! :D

When are you gonna add the high score function? :grin: