IGNORED

SIO2Bluetooth possible?

Awch

How could you play .wav files into your 810 disk drive? There are adapters that allow non-Atari cassette drives to be used. I can see you playing a wav file through that and doing LOAD"C:, or booting with START.

I moded my 810 for audio in check this thread if your interested http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210630-atari-cassette/?hl=%2Batari+%2B810+%2Bdripfree&do=findComment&comment=2764242. It works awesome but the cassette load time got kind of cumbersome so I soon built an sio2pc device. It would be cool to be able to use a smart phone or ipod along with sio2pc but no software exists for that kind of device as far as I know.

I had been wondering if something like this were possible for some time now. Although for now the bluetooth option seems to be a dead end has anyone ever considered a wired connection to phones or ipods? I use my ipod to play .wav files into my 810. It would be really sweet to have a Aspqt ipod app even if I did have too plug in a usb cable. I figure its just a matter of someone with programming knowledge to have proper inspiration and motivation to code the software. This is an idea thats far beyond my expertise, but If someone with proper knowledge was looking for a hobby project I think that app would be a very useful little tool for the Atari community. Just thought Id float that idea out there and see what people think.

I have been thinking about a wired connection for Android based devices, haven't had time to delve into droid world yet though, need to learn, learn and learn more before I can even consider playing with the idea :). For now all I know is that OTG makes it possible to interface android to external devices via USB.

In OTG mode the Android is the host, normally it appears as the peripheral, e.g. storage drive if hooked to a PC.

But yes, the ability to use a real cheap Android phone as an emulator for Atari peripherals would be a great idea.

Add to that the fact that they do WiFi networking out of the box, it opens up all sorts of possibilities.

In OTG mode the Android is the host, normally it appears as the peripheral, e.g. storage drive if hooked to a PC.

But yes, the ability to use a real cheap Android phone as an emulator for Atari peripherals would be a great idea.

Add to that the fact that they do WiFi networking out of the box, it opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Yes with OTG you can apparently use an FTDI based USB to Serial Cable and run an APE just like you do on a Windows machine, but there are plenty of new things I would have to learn before attempting to even think about playing with this idea, tonight I started my learning process by figuring out how to build an OTG Cable, then I found out ready made cables are just $3.50 for 3 at eBay (lol), I have a ways to go before I can even start absorbing all the android related mambo jumbo... :)

Edited by atari8warez

I moded my 810 for audio in check this thread if your interested http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210630-atari-cassette/?hl=%2Batari+%2B810+%2Bdripfree&do=findComment&comment=2764242. It works awesome but the cassette load time got kind of cumbersome so I soon built an sio2pc device. It would be cool to be able to use a smart phone or ipod along with sio2pc but no software exists for that kind of device as far as I know.

No, you DID NOT mod your 810. An 810 is a Disk Drive. The 410 is a cassette drive.

Just a quick summary with the most important things:

A 100ms delay will kill you (well, not you, but reliable SIO transmission), T2 is specced at 16ms max (T2 is the time between the trailing edge of /COMMAND and the peripheral / SIO-emulator transmitting the ACK byte).

The biggest problem with this BT module is actually the length of assertion time it needs for the DSR pin. 16ms duration is just not enough time to assert it to its active state, so the peripheral emulators (AspeQt or APE) never see any activity on the command line and thus do not respond, no ACK or NAK ever goes back to the Atari.

I did an experiment, I put a SPDT switch between the DSR pin on the BT module and SIO7, one terminal of the switch is connected to SIO7 and the other to the GND, All other SIO lines were directly connected to the BT module's appropriate pins. I turned the Atari ON with AspeQt ready, as soon as I started flipping the switch back and forth AspeQt started to respond and sent data to the Atari. If I simply connect SIO7 to the DSR AspeQt just sits there as if there is nothing happening.

Edited by atari8warez

Hopefully, a BT adapter will show up that doesn't have those delays on the DSR (Command) line.

I've followed the link on TheMontezuma's earlier message on this thread and translated the page to English where people talk about these BT modules. If I understood the conversation correctly in one of the messages someone suggests using two BT modules instead of one because of the lack of flow control signal transmission on those (on BT modules other than Adafruit EZ-Link). One BT module for data signals, another one for SIO7 (command). One would connect the SIO7 to the data-in pin of the second BT module and have AspeQt monitor Rxd on the second COM port created by the second BT module. Of course this is rather an extreme way of getting around the flow control problem but i think it can work. In fact I will try it when I have some time to waste as I have a few more Bluetooth sampler units here. :)

Edited by atari8warez

• 3 weeks later...

To clarify, do you mean OS tweaks on the Atari? Is that what the Poke 52805 is for? Also do you have an estimate of the speed difference compared to a stock 1050? I'd still like convenience of this if there's any chance it could be workable. Thanks for your help!

To clarify, do you mean OS tweaks on the Atari? Is that what the Poke 52805 is for? Also do you have an estimate of the speed difference compared to a stock 1050? I'd still like convenience of this if there's any chance it could be workable. Thanks for your help!

Yes that poke is to change the SIO timing from 2 jiffies to 6 jiffies. You need to use HIAS's high-speed OS patch to experiment with different timing values. I found that 6 jiffies is about right for 19200 bps. I wasn't able to get AspeQt (or any other serial software) on PC to recognize DSR line being asserted, Adafruit's claim of 100ms (which corresponds to about to 6-7 jiffies) for that pin seems inaccurate, I tried values lees than and higher than 100ms with no success, so as a last resort I totally ignored handshaking by setting AspeQt to handshake NONE (that's not an official setting for AspeQt, it is my hack to experiment).It is only then I was able to get it working. Will experiment more my time permitting, this was just a quick and dirty OS and AspeQt hack.

And oh as far as the speed goes, RWTEST shows 777 KBs read speed average, which is slower than a stock 1050

Edited by atari8warez

• 1 month later...