IGNORED

Is it possible to make a converter to play Atari 8 bit titles on a 7800?

GoldenWheels

Forgive me if this is a stupid question....I don't program or know ANYTHING about hardware, I just play games. But I'd sure like to have one Atari that handled all my needs. I only play carts. I'd love to be able to play Atari 8 bit games (400/800/XL/XL etc) on my 7800. (I saw the 2600-to-5200 converter on ebay, I think that is what made me think of it).

Conversely, I'd also be fine playing 7800 games on my Atari XE. Either way, though honestly I'd prefer to use the 7800 (I just like the looks of the system better).

If it's possible, please delineate between the "sure with some minor work, hmmm" and "yeah with tons of hard work, money, time, and crazy parts, so no not really in reality because it would never be worth it" types of possible.

Just throwing it out there that if price was reasonable (sub 50$) and it was a nicely designed piece (not just a raw board or something but a finished product) I'd sure as hell buy one.

A 'converter' wouldn't really work because the graphics hardware is entirely different between the A8 (which essentially is in a line that included the 2600 and the Amiga) and the 7800, which was modeled after arcade machines of the day.

You'd probably have to build a hybrid system that included hardware from both the A8 and 7800.

I don't know if the 8bit computer line allowed the same A/V passthrough that the 5200 did, but if they do, then you could theoretically make a 7800 'adapter' (really just a shrunken 7800 that plugs into the 8bit's cart slot) similar to the VCS adapter for the 5200.

If they don't allow that sort of passthrough, then I'd say it's pretty much impossible without reprogramming the games anew.

But 8bit games on 7800? No way.

D'oh! Ok well thanks for the responses guys....and in some ways a concrete no is better than "well maybe". I can at least just put it out of my mind completely.

I have an XE system now ls650, it's just I'm building a mobile Atari stand (kinda like the NES stand I built, TV+system+games storage all in one) and due to my A8 library being tiny (4 games as of right now but I have some in the mail) and my 2600/7800 library at least being decent size and quality wise (60+) the 7800 got the nod to be the system I built it around. Size was key so I didn't want to build it around the two systems.

Plus all my parts are black, black cabinet, black TV, etc, so the 7800 won out there easily.I didn't want to make a gray cabinet with pastel hues! :D

EDIT: For example, when I build a Sega one, and I will when I find another black 20 inch tv, I can just buy one of those SMS converters at Stone Age Gamer...and voila it is now a Genesis/SMS stand without having to include the system and cords, etc.

Edited by GoldenWheels

EDIT: For example, when I build a Sega one, and I will when I find another black 20 inch tv, I can just buy one of those SMS converters at Stone Age Gamer...and voila it is now a Genesis/SMS stand without having to include the system and cords, etc.

The difference is really that the Genesis has a full SMS built-in. Those adapters are just passthroughs because the pins are laid out differently on SMS and Genny cartridges.

As the others pointed out, the 7800 is unrelated to the 400/800 etc technically. You'd basically have to put the entire 8-bit-computer-hardware into the adapter.

This does make me think though... the 5200 is a close relative of the computer line I believe. So it would likely be easier to get 400/800 games to play on a 5200. And since 2600 and 7800 have already been re-released as cheap one-chip-systems it may be viable to actually put those 2600- and 7800-clones on an adapter for the 5200. If computer compatibility could be easily added as well that would make the 5200 an allrounder. At least it seems like an easier solution than getting other stuff to play on the 7800.

All just theory though, and with the limited popularity of the 5200 not likely to happen.

The difference is really that the Genesis has a full SMS built-in. Those adapters are just passthroughs because the pins are laid out differently on SMS and Genny cartridges.

As the others pointed out, the 7800 is unrelated to the 400/800 etc technically. You'd basically have to put the entire 8-bit-computer-hardware into the adapter.

This does make me think though... the 5200 is a close relative of the computer line I believe. So it would likely be easier to get 400/800 games to play on a 5200. And since 2600 and 7800 have already been re-released as cheap one-chip-systems it may be viable to actually put those 2600- and 7800-clones on an adapter for the 5200. If computer compatibility could be easily added as well that would make the 5200 an allrounder. At least it seems like an easier solution than getting other stuff to play on the 7800.

All just theory though, and with the limited popularity of the 5200 not likely to happen.

Understood, was just an example of where I want to get with this Atari set up. The space logistics of putting two systems into one of my stands, while it might look cool, is not something I want to do.

And frankly I am not one who is going to add to the popularity of the 5200! I had a shot at one at the local trade in place and there was just NO reason for me to bother with it that I could see. Massive system with notoriously bad controllers and the same old atari games every atari system has (nope, I don't care if it's the "best" version of Dig Dug, etc, it's still Dig Dug!)

Let me ask you guys this though: How does the new Genesis retrobit adapter for the SNES work? I know there isn't Genesis built into the SNES, and I thought they were totally different hardware. Is it basically a mini Genesis just plugged into the top of the SNES? Seeing as how the AV outs come right off the cart I was kind of already wondering about that.

Let me ask you guys this though: How does the new Genesis retrobit adapter for the SNES work? I know there isn't Genesis built into the SNES, and I thought they were totally different hardware. Is it basically a mini Genesis just plugged into the top of the SNES? Seeing as how the AV outs come right off the cart I was kind of already wondering about that.

You guessed correctly. It's a genesis-on-a-chip, powered by the SNES' cart bus. That's it.

You guessed correctly. It's a genesis-on-a-chip, powered by the SNES' cart bus. That's it.

Huh. Still neat, but frankly the av outs coming off the cart kill it for me. All the ease of use and elegance of the thing (such as it might have been, the carts always look kinda funny sitting up high) for me is ruined by that. I mean, I'm the type of gamer who loves cool random gear but also the type who already has a Genesis set up. Unless it made my life easier no go for me.

I guess I either just build a 7800 stand only (not liek that doesn't give me an awesome library to work with) or I figure out a more elegant carpentry scenario so I can include two systems in the gaming stand. The frickin' gigantic XE power block is like half the problem. Plus I hate the gray in relation to all my other stuff being black. I've been tempted to paint it though.....

Edited by GoldenWheels

CPU and Pokey are about the only common elements of the 2 systems. Sally 6502 is actually identical and speed the same too.

That's about it though. Pokey maps to different location and the computer uses Dynamic Ram with Refresh cycle steals by Antic which makes doing a 7800 mode there near impossible. TIA mapping in low memory area on 7800 means A8 mode near impossible on 7800.

A hybrid system would probably be the cleanest way, essentially a new motherboard with extra logic to allow selecting which mem config to use and if Maria or Antic is active.

But big $$$ - probably $150+ and needing the main chips from donor machines.