IGNORED

eBay seller sends the wrong item- what next?

ianoid

I bought a Super Mario Bros Crystal Screen recently via eBay from Australia. It's the last G&W I need and I managed to get it on the low end of prices, although it's a little beat up.

Seller sends me the regular Super Mario Bros (non-crystal screen) unit boxed (in a bubble mailer of course- will folks ever learn to ship items from overseas in a box?), which is worth quite a bit less.

Seller insists I send the incorrect item back before he will send me the correct item- at my expense. Says he will refund, but hasn't made any move to send me my shipped expenses. At this point, I'm a little perturbed. I say he should send the correct item and the refund for the cost of shipping before I do anything.

What do you guys think?

Sure does seem as if boxes are extremely rare outside of the U.S.A. :ponder:

You sure the guy really has the crystal screen variation in the first place and isn't just jerking you around? Seems like a pretty big mixup. Wonder what he's trying to pull. I'd probably do as Hyperboy suggests and let eBay mediate this to be on the safe side.

• Like 2

I'm tempted just to proceed with a refund and keep the item he sent me, mostly because he's doing this totally wrong as far as I'm concerned. He's requiring me to send back the wrong item at my expense. What kills me is that I do really want the Crystal Screen for my collection, and I've been waiting a while to find one reasonably (that is, not listed as a sky high Buy It Now). I sense that once I send this back to him, he'll probably just refund my money, give me no cash for shipping and then cancel the transaction.

And yes, it is the correct game. It has a loose battery cover (usually connected by a fragile hinge) and a tattered box, but still, cib.

Open the case. If anyone tries to suggest that you pay out of your pocket to return the item, refuse. Photograph the item for documentation and have it ready to sent to eBay, then call eBay on the phone. Explain to the person in India that you did not receive what was purchased and that you will not pay another cent. The seller can pay to have the item returned, eBay can pay to have the item returned, but you will not pay.

Stand your ground.

• Like 1

Hilarious. I paid the guy weeks ago,

Item#310830790206

Nintendo SUPER MARIO BROS Crystal Screen Game and Watch - Boxed ym801

RARE

battery clip is loose.

relisted due to timewaster!

payment within 3days

Looking more closely at this guys feedback, he's a repeat offender.

• Like 1

"Well I relisted it because im just going to give u a refund when u send me back the other game. Because we cant comr to an agreement. On the price for the one u have now. And I know u want send that one back untill u have ur money. But I cant do that untill u send me back that game and watch or u put money into my paypal for the one u have. If u paid me $150 right now into paypal I can send u the crystal screen game today. And provide u with tracking number ect. Dont worry if it dosent turn up ur covered by PayPal"

Now that his paypal is frozen (which happened when I opened the case), he's being quite nice. Told me he shipped the game today and asked me to close the case. Apparently eBay won't let you reopen a case, so I'll wait until I get the game. I look forward to shipping back his other game when he pays me in advance for shipping. Rarely does a seller annoy me this much, but this guy's lack of comprehension about just how much eBay favors buyers has become obvious. Sucks when you sell, but as a buyer it's good protection from certain problems. And this guys trail of neutrals shows he's a bit of a problem.

As a seller, I just try to do everything I can to please buyers. And if I want to maintain access to my paypal funds, I try to refund first and not worry about losing shipping money now and again.

• Like 3

Wow that is beat up...more like 4.99 instead of 499

Such a pain to get for under $300. I'm wondering what the deal with the battery cover will be.

There's a thing about 'completing' collections. Since I don't collect only one or two systems, I just take what I can get as cheap as I can get.

@nofrills100 You can look up the auction if you want with the number above.

@boxpressed It came in a bubble mailer, but I just can't bear to send stuff like this in an envelope. It's against my religion. The one he send me is in good condition.