IGNORED

CO61636 Power Supply

Paul Westphal

So far I see it will power a 1027 and 1090xl. Is it save for a 400/800/1050? Are there any other uses for this PS?

It is only 5.56% higher voltage(9.5V instead of 9V) than the standard 400/800/1200XL/810/850/1050/XF551 power supply so it should work with them. The thing to be aware of is that the linear regulators in these devices will dissipate the extra voltage as heat, this could shorten the life of the regulators and other system components in the long term.

It is only 5.56% higher voltage(9.5V instead of 9V) than the standard 400/800/1200XL/810/850/1050/XF551 power supply so it should work with them. The thing to be aware of is that the linear regulators in these devices will dissipate the extra voltage as heat, this could shorten the life of the regulators and other system components in the long term.

Those systems/peripherals have fairly beefy heat sinks so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Those systems/peripherals have fairly beefy heat sinks so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm not talking about just the regulator, 1050 drives are known for getting fairly hot with the stock power supply. While the voltage is only 5.55% higher it is a higher percentage of the excess voltage(>5V/12V) that must be dissipated by the regulator/heat sink. Over time the extra heat will cause capacitors and other components to degrade/fail sooner.

There is even a possibility the extra heat could cause a device to become unstable.

• 8 years later...

Don't mix Atari power supplies!!! Unless you like replacing fuses. All Atari power supplies use quick blow fuses but can be replaced with slow blow fuses. The CO 61636 power supply is only meant for the Atari Writer 1027 Printer. Stick a CO17945i Atari power supply in its place will result in a blown fuse and possibly a dead printer.    

Replacing fuses involves pulling the 4 little rubber feet from the power supply, removing the 4 Philip's screws, opening up the inline supply, and unsoldering the burned out fuse before soldering a new fuse in its place.  

On 6/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, Brian Raney said:

Replacing fuses involves pulling the 4 little rubber feet from the power supply, removing the 4 Philip's screws, opening up the inline supply, and unsoldering the burned out fuse before soldering a new fuse in its place.  

That only applies to power supplies secured with screws, many versions are glued together which can be difficult to open.