IGNORED

SIO2SD Help! I think It's DOA... Dang!

bbking67

Well my initial giddiness of receiving my SIO2SD has diminished a bit.

I plugged it in to my unmodified (and perfectly working) 130XE in place of my stack of 1050's. Initially the unit booted up and I was able to navigate the drive numbers. I was able to load a game using the SIO2SD as well (again using the buttons).

However, when trying to access the onscreen menu, I could not get anything to work. I cycled power 2-3 times, but pressing Start or Select did not work (yes I help down Option at boot).

Now things have gone from bad to worse... The bootup only makes the telltale crunching sound when no I/O device is found and the device shows solid squares (see photo). The buttons are unresponsive.

Any ideas?

I sure hope the device is not bricked.

post-31489-0-72018700-1389238022_thumb.jpg

Are you being serious?

I e-mailed Lotharek, and he seemed to think I tried to flash it (which I didn't unless I accidentally initiated some kind of sequence using the buttons).

If you plugged in the SIO2SD while your 130XE was powered up, that could have messed it up.

But it does look like it will need to be reflashed...

Okay, I have access to an Atmega flasher, so I'll try that.

The handler that loaded wasn't working right either (Select and Start did nothing). I was able to load a game using the panel of the unit.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised how little infoirmation there is with this thing (if I get it working again I may write a manual).

Where do I get the appropriate flash? Do I just flash one from here?

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SoftwareAVR_en

Do I need to uncase the device and flash the chip directly? Or is there a method that just requires placement of files on the SD card?

Edited by bbking67

If you plugged in the SIO2SD while your 130XE was powered up, that could have messed it up.

But it does look like it will need to be reflashed...

I never plugged it in with the power on. I plugged it in with the power off and then turned on the 130XE... just like every Atari peripheral I've ever used other the last 32 years :-)

I never plugged it in with the power on. I plugged it in with the power off and then turned on the 130XE... just like every Atari peripheral I've ever used other the last 32 years :-)

That's a good thing :)

Check out this thread on reflashing: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/168214-building-atmel-programmer/?do=findComment&comment=2080039

Edited by AtariGeezer

When I used to put these into 1064 and XM301 cases, I used to modify the pins on the SIO connector so that GND always made contact before +5v. Never had any issues hot-plugging those units in and out of powered up machines. Wouldn't try it without this modification, though.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hello guys

Make sure you set BODEN and BODLEVEL before flashing! Most modern devices don't have them set, which means hot plugging might brick the device. Setting both bits protects the device.

Sincerely

Mathy (who's just repeating what HARdwareDOC tells me. HARdwareDOCs hardware is foolproof)

Hello Jon

I don't know if Lotharek sets these bits, but a lot of developers don't seem to care enough to set them. HARdwareDOC did a lot of research to find why devices got bricked so often and found out that most of the times, these two bits aren't set. Set them and the bricking is history.

Sincerely

Mathy

I always used to set the fuse bits on my devices, but for some reason experience must have prompted me to shorten the 5v pin on the SIO connector as well. Better safe than sorry I suppose. But either way, brickng is now indeed history... and I hot plug these things 100 per cent of the time when I'm testing stuff.

Well I opened the unit up and it's not clear if there is a JTAG header, so I think I might be out of luck. The Atmega is SMD...

I did not hot plug the device. It only half worked for about 2 minutes...

There is an unpopulated header on the left hand side of the unit labeled J2, but everything is glued down with epoxy, so accessing the backside is not possible. On top of that the epoxy goes over one of the holes... So I'd have to solder wires on top. I think I made a major mistake buying the boxed unit.

I'm still tryiing to determine if I can flash the atmel chip without voiding the warranty. From what I can see I will have to solder wires to the top of the board seeing as its epoxied to the case. I wish the 10 pin header was installer from the get-go. If lotharek will let me do that without voiding any warranty, ill try it. Otherwise I'm shipping it back to poland.

I can read the Atmel chip with my friend's ISP... the software he has only accepts HEX files... the SIO2SD firmware is a .bin. I've tried some of the programming software found in other threads here on AA, but these programs don't see the ISP. Is this a simple task of conversion? Or do I need to find a compatible flashing program?

Geee.. i do try to be as friendly as possible to all buyers and customers, i reply to mails with some delay as i have them hundreds every week. so, do not judge me bad ;-)

i can only suggest SENSDING DEVICE BACK .

Fuse chips at my device are always set as they should be, do not play with it. It looks like Your atari doesn`t supply enough current !

so, first i would try with another power supply ( of course if flash is still ok...)

then, i would send it back to me - for repair or replacement.

i habe no idea WHY DID YOU OPEN IT ?