IGNORED

SIO2SD Help! I think It's DOA... Dang!

bbking67

Lotharek, no worries, I know how busy you are. Yes, I did open it after the unit on a different Atari (the first unit was a stock 130XE and now I have tried it on a stock 800XL). Once thing I didn't consider is that I used the same power supply. I have two more, so I can try one of those. I'll be hacking the connector off one soon to use with a modern power supply.

I won't play with the fuse bits. I have worked with various jtag and ISP devices and I am reasonably experienced, so I won't do anything dumb.

Sorry for opening it up... I just assumed that was cool because programming the flash is something people would want to do. Well if I screw it up it's on me.

Is there a way to test my Ataris to verify the voltage/current on the SIO port?

Lotharek, I was successful with the reflash and the unit is now working with my 800XL (and I am very excited to play around with it!!!). I have not yet tried it on the 130XE, so if the theory that the Atari was not supplying enough current/voltage holds water, my 130XE could be the culprit. It's a near-mint 130XE that has been working perfectly. The 130XE that used to be a daily driver for me has now got bad RAM...

I do remember that back in the day some 130XE machines had issues with bus-powered devices (I've never experienced problems myself, but the only bus-powered devices I ever used were the XM301 modem and the ICD P:R: Connection).

I am going to cannibalize an ingot power supply for the connector... maybe with a nice 2.0A power supply the 130XE will play nice.

Thanks again for your help Lotharek (and to all from AA who offered help!) If I have some time this week I'll make a demo video and post it to Youtube, G+ and AtariAge (I did a quick unboxing video the day I received the unit).

/bbking67

Edited by bbking67

The software I used to flash the Atmel is the Extreme Burner:

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/gui-software-for-usbasp-based-usb-avr-programmers/

I initially read the flash and captured the screen with the fuse bits (very important) before doing anything. I also triple checked the pinout. My the programmer I used I did not have to power the device using the Atari.

The programmer I borrowed is a fairly generic USB model bought at a hacker convention. Worked perfectly. Plugged in the pins I needed based on the schematic and held them in contact with the points on the board. This is a two man job folks--one guy to hold the pins in place and the other to flash.

The only issue I had was that the software was .bin and not recognized by the flashing software. Other software didn't like Windows 7 or the flashing device. In the end, Lotharek kindly supplied me with a HEX file, which if he permits me to I can post here for future use.

/bbking67

post-31489-0-97703300-1390251607_thumb.jpg