IGNORED

What hardware can you play SG-1000 games on?...

ataridave

I can't confirm this, but, I seem to remember people saying Dina consoles can do it.

They can, and in fact the DINA works better as an SG-1000 clone than it does as a ColecoVision clone.

I have been told both that you can and can't play SG-1000 games on a Mark III console, so I'm pretty confused.

The Mark III and Japanese SMS are backwards compatible with the SG-1000, but the color palette that is used for SG-1000 games isn't too great and actually makes some games harder to play than they already are. If you're serious about getting into SG-1000 games, I would recommend playing them an actual SG-1000 or even a DINA rather than a Mark III.

The Mark II, I don't know about.

It's actually called the SG-1000 II, I really don't understand why people feel the need to add the "Mark" to the name considering it was never sold or named as such. It's essentially the same console as the original SG-1000, except it has a sleeker case, a controller port in place of the hardwired first controller and the expansion port was moved to the front. It's a much better choice than the original system, and some models can even be modded for RGB. Some SG-1000 IIs, such as the one I have, use a TMS9918 like the original SG-1000 and hence can only be modded for composite.

They can, and in fact the DINA works better as an SG-1000 clone than it does as a ColecoVision clone.

The Mark III and Japanese SMS are backwards compatible with the SG-1000, but the color palette that is used for SG-1000 games isn't too great and actually makes some games harder to play than they already are. If you're serious about getting into SG-1000 games, I would recommend playing them an actual SG-1000 or even a DINA rather than a Mark III.

It's actually called the SG-1000 II, I really don't understand why people feel the need to add the "Mark" to the name considering it was never sold or named as such. It's essentially the same console as the original SG-1000, except it has a sleeker case, a controller port in place of the hardwired first controller and the expansion port was moved to the front. It's a much better choice than the original system, and some models can even be modded for RGB. Some SG-1000 IIs, such as the one I have, use a TMS9918 like the original SG-1000 and hence can only be modded for composite.

What the heck is the DINA? I've never heard of it before. So, the SG-1000 II will play SG-1000 games perfectly?

the dina is garbage though, I had one and it produced so much heat it burned its voltage regulator out, which exposed everything in the box to more voltage than was safe, bout 3 rounds of that, a year later got mad and dropped it in the trash.

never even tried sg1000 games, just coleco, but it was pretty much worthless overall as when it did work it was prone to crashing cause the regulator would hit thermals and oscillate

ps I bought mine out of an in store radio shack catalog in 1999, what makes them rare is they are china crap that is improperly designed

Edited by Osgeld

the dina is garbage though, I had one and it produced so much heat it burned its voltage regulator out, which exposed everything in the box to more voltage than was safe, bout 3 rounds of that, a year later got mad and dropped it in the trash.

never even tried sg1000 games, just coleco, but it was pretty much worthless overall as when it did work it was prone to crashing cause the regulator would hit thermals and oscillate

ps I bought mine out of an in store radio shack catalog in 1999, what makes them rare is they are china crap that is improperly designed

That's not good! :-o OK, on Ebay there are two SG-1000 IIs complete in the box, and the seller is asking $250.00 for each of them. Is that a fair price? I have no idea as to where else I could find one, but I DON'T want to pay that much for an SG-1000 II. I'm not a collector, so I don't care about having the original box.

Edited by ataridave

That's not good! :-o OK, on Ebay there are two SG-1000 IIs complete in the box, and the seller is asking $250.00 for each of them. Is that a fair price? I have no idea as to where else I could find one, but I DON'T want to pay that much for an SG-1000 II. I'm not a collector, so I don't care about having the original box.

That's rather overpriced, if you look on Yahoo Auctions Japan or Rakuten you can find them cheaper. I got mine off Rakuten for about $75 shipped.

That's rather overpriced, if you look on Yahoo Auctions Japan or Rakuten you can find them cheaper. I got mine off Rakuten for about $75 shipped.

Cool! I see a lot of SG-1000 games, hardware, and even a keyboard on Yahoo Auctions Japan. BUT, how do I purchase something without knowing any Japanese???