IGNORED

Atari 5200 4 Port to 2 Port Transitional System?

Tweedle Dum

Greetings everyone!

I am new to this forum and my understanding of Atari 5200 gaming systems is still quite basic, so please excuse my ignorance.

I frequent Estate Sales where I tend to pick up some unique items and sell them on eBay for a profit. Just this week I purchased an old Atari 5200 game system with the two original controllers and two of the Competition Pro joystick controllers. I plug everything in and get the coaxial 278-276 adapter so I could test it out. Naturally, however, each of the controllers has issues. The standard system controllers only have slight functionality and the joysticks are pretty much shot except for moving right and a couple buttons. The Competition Pro joysticks also have some trouble and it's quite a hassle daisy chaining them to the original controlers to access the start button and keypad. I am assuming these can be refurbished, or is it more hassle than it's worth?

The reason I post this though is because there is something very strange about this 2 Port system. I believe it may be a transitional model from the 4 Port to the 2 Port? The front of the system has four port openings, however the two in the middle are empty. The power supply is that of a 2 port system. I have included a picture of this for you to see. In my research I was unable to find any instances like this? This system was at a grandmother's home for the grandchildren to play when they visited, and has been in an attic for decades. I am pretty certain no one has modified it. Would this be more desireable due to this uncommon variant?

Thanks, and any suggestions on what I should do with the controllers? The Competition Pro joysticks sell for around $60 a piece in full functionality, however I have no idea where to start on trying to get them repaired, or if it is even worth the time. Or should I just bundle all the controllers with the console and sell it as is for someone more experienced to refurbish?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions,
Tweedle Dum

post-38145-0-79144000-1389648668_thumb.jpg

post-38145-0-40966100-1389648669_thumb.jpg

post-38145-0-03365900-1389648670_thumb.jpg

post-38145-0-77217400-1389648670_thumb.jpg

Ah, I see. Living up to my name today.

Anyways, should I even bother finding a replacement cover or just sell the whole lot as is? Can the controllers be refurbished?

Thanks,

Dum

Controls can be rebuilt, but console front covers are very difficult to find. 99% chance of having to get another console for that part.

Has anyone ever successfully added 2 more ports to a 2 port 5200? I know you'd have the change the BIOS chip, and places do sell an EPROM chip, but I'd imagine soldering would be in order... However, with the benefits of a 2 port system, it might be easier to do all of that than to mod the power supply and RF output on the original 4 port models...