IGNORED

How Much Power Do Systems Draw When Turned Off?

Tempest

I wanted to necro bump this topic again, but take it in a slightly different direction.

I have about 15 or so consoles plugged into a power strip that I only turn on when I'm using.  So far it's been fine but my main concern is that I don't want to overload my breaker.  Since I only turn on one console at a time it hasn't been a problem (I've actually had two or three on at once when checking things with no problems).  However I wonder how much power the various power supplies are pulling even though the consoles are off (NES, SNES, Genesis with all add ons, CV, etc.).  I got to wondering if it would be better to get a power bar with individual power switches for each outlet and only turn on the specific one I'm using by plugging them into something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Tecmojo-9-Outlet-Overloading-Protection-Individual/dp/B0CJDLPQ8R/).  Or am I just overthinking things and something like this isn't necessary? 

I do have a lot of other things plugged into the outlets in my game room but since I never turn them all on at the same time I've never had a problem.  Most are plugged into power strips that are always off unless being used, but some things like my personal computer and my modern game consoles do stay on all the time.  I've never tripped the breaker, but I have seen some of my larger CRT monitors kind of flicker before if too much is plugged into the power bar they're using (I've spread things out more since then) so I wonder if I'm close to doing so sometimes (or perhaps the monitors are old and have dying caps?).

Many old consoles pull like 6-12 volts at around half an amp, (2600 was 9v at 300 mah iirc) so I doubt classic consoles draw enough to worry about drawing to much, even if you had all of them on at once.

To find out for sure, you'd need to check system by system to find what the total draw is. That or you could get a "kill a watt" power bar which can actually tell you how much power is being drawn.

Remember, most home AC is rated at 110v x 15a, though it can be wired up to handle 20a, or as low as 10 if somebody got cheap on wiring. The power bar is usually rated lower than house current unless you get commercial or shop power bars. Think the one I have is rated at 7a, so consievably if I overloaded it, it should fail before home wiring. Still bad if that happens, but at least it wouldn't start a fire in the wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Video said:

Many old consoles pull like 6-12 volts at around half an amp, (2600 was 9v at 300 mah iirc) so I doubt classic consoles draw enough to worry about drawing to much, even if you had all of them on at once.

Well you're talking 15 consoles plus speakers, 20" CRT, and a sync strippper so that could add up.  Also my computer (work and personal) always being on has to add to the draw.

I use power strips with individual switches for each port primarily just to protect all the old kit and make it last longer, no point it (psu) being on if I don't intend to use the console, plus there will be a tiny cost saving. The only ones I tend to leave the ports switched on are the CRT and a couple of consoles which I use regularly.

That's cool, haven't seen a power bar with switches for individual outlets, I'll have to look that up.

Yeah,I've gotten smart strips before, where one outlet is a master, usually the tv, and turning that off kills the other outlets automatically.

Modern consoles can use a lot more, and computers, especially towers can be in the 500-700 watt range, so could be using several amps per device, yikes, maybe extra power bars to break up the load.

I think I posted the samething like last year

My brother who I semi live with very strict with me about plugging stuff in

Like my CRT, My Consoles, up to the Switch

I know with Power Strips, They protect it...My brother thinks I will start a fire

Because of my Handicapp I can't really explain it to him, I need someone that has like 17 Retro Consoles hooked up to tell him

8 hours ago, NinjaWarrior said:

I think I posted the samething like last year

My brother who I semi live with very strict with me about plugging stuff in

Like my CRT, My Consoles, up to the Switch

I know with Power Strips, They protect it...My brother thinks I will start a fire

Because of my Handicapp I can't really explain it to him, I need someone that has like 17 Retro Consoles hooked up to tell him

Unless you're plugging full power strips into full power strips, there's really no danger.  An overloaded outlet will trip the breaker anyway unless it's a very old house built before updated safety regulations. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2014 at 2:09 PM, Gemintronic said:

This would be handy to have about now

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

I know this post is ancient but I wanted to point out that I own something similar. It's a shutoff that goes between the power cord and the outlet. There is a remote that can wirelessly connects to the shutoff and so I can shut down a power strip with the click of a button. it's one remote for 5 of these devices connected to different outlets I have around my place. Best money I ever spent.

On 5/22/2024 at 3:29 PM, Tempest said:

I wanted to necro bump this topic again, but take it in a slightly different direction.

I have about 15 or so consoles plugged into a power strip that I only turn on when I'm using.  So far it's been fine but my main concern is that I don't want to overload my breaker.  Since I only turn on one console at a time it hasn't been a problem (I've actually had two or three on at once when checking things with no problems).  However I wonder how much power the various power supplies are pulling even though the consoles are off (NES, SNES, Genesis with all add ons, CV, etc.).  I got to wondering if it would be better to get a power bar with individual power switches for each outlet and only turn on the specific one I'm using by plugging them into something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Tecmojo-9-Outlet-Overloading-Protection-Individual/dp/B0CJDLPQ8R/).  Or am I just overthinking things and something like this isn't necessary? 

I do have a lot of other things plugged into the outlets in my game room but since I never turn them all on at the same time I've never had a problem.  Most are plugged into power strips that are always off unless being used, but some things like my personal computer and my modern game consoles do stay on all the time.  I've never tripped the breaker, but I have seen some of my larger CRT monitors kind of flicker before if too much is plugged into the power bar they're using (I've spread things out more since then) so I wonder if I'm close to doing so sometimes (or perhaps the monitors are old and have dying caps?).

This question got me thinking- is it putting any stress on your electronics by constantly plugging and unplugging them/on-off-on-off? I am thinking like the Auto Start Stop feature that most new vehicles have that turn the engine off when you are idling. There are competing theories as to whether the A.S.S. is well... ass, or not. Some think it's too much wear and tear on your engine. Just seeing if theres anything to that, with regards to electronics as well

Maybe not the engine itself, but the starter will get extra wear and tear from constantly having to restart the engine.

Don't think its the same for consoles though, since you wouldn't actually be turning the system on/off any more than you already are. As far as plugging/unplugging, maybe? Some psu have a rather thin cable, so I could see physically plugging/unplugging it adding stress to the cord. Tbh, while I've come across damaged psu, I can't say I've ever had one I'm the original owner of die on me though.

2 hours ago, Video said:

Maybe not the engine itself, but the starter will get extra wear and tear from constantly having to restart the engine.

Don't think its the same for consoles though, since you wouldn't actually be turning the system on/off any more than you already are. As far as plugging/unplugging, maybe? Some psu have a rather thin cable, so I could see physically plugging/unplugging it adding stress to the cord. Tbh, while I've come across damaged psu, I can't say I've ever had one I'm the original owner of die on me though.

the technology is smart enough to prevent too many start-stops. it keeps track of how frequently you're doing it