IGNORED

Looking for a 800XL NTSC

Level42

Hey Space Invader,

I think I've got one I'm not using. Would love to trade it for a PAL machine so I can play Dropzone properly :)

I'll have a look over the weekend and confirm...

Sarge

Someone posted a patched version of DropZone to compensate for the speed difference on an NTSC machine. It's in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188807-dropzone-for-ntsc/

Bob

Someone posted a patched version of DropZone to compensate for the speed difference on an NTSC machine. It's in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188807-dropzone-for-ntsc/

Bob

Hey Bob,

Yeah, I know. It's a nice hack and makes the game playable but as a side effect the scrolling is jerky...

I'm from London so I'm used to smooth Dropzone goodness and miss it :)

Thanks,

Sarge

Hi Space Invader,

I DO have an 800XL. It's been in the garage, wrapped in cellophane in a plastic box for a while...

I got it out. It's in pretty good shape cosmetically - couple of minor dings and scratches - I can send a photo if you like. The badge is still there as is the protective cover for the expansion port.

Plugged it in - worked first time ;)

A clear and stable picture is displayed.

Audio works.

The self tests (ROM/RAM, Sound and Keyboard) all passed.

I tested each key on the keyboard manually. They all worked.

I plugged in a cartridge - it worked.

Both joystick ports work.

I attached a disk drive and booted DOS.

So far, so good!

I am going to leave the unit on overnight with the PastFinder attract mode playing to see if it can handle being switched on for longer periods...

Sarge

Soak test checked out... Game was still working and everything was fine this morning!

The only thing I haven't been able to run is the NTSC hack of Dropzone that runs at 50fps. I have the game on an AtariMAX flash cart and when it loads you see the loading screen but when the game itself is "rolling" and "small" on screen. It works fine on my 1200XL...

Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Yomp, Koronis Rift, etc, etc all work fine and all the test check out... Odd.

I wonder why this is?

Yeah, no PSU's !!! I'll use a Euro version anyway and I bet you'll use a US one :)

For me the external condition is no issue, I just want it to run games in NTSC speed :)

I found them ! Yes them but don't get too exited:

Turns out 1 is a 800XE. It works, runs DK fine, have to test further....

The other is a 130XE but the keyboard is missing altogether and it is totally dead (black screen).

The 800XE looks kinda OK, some yellowing of the keys and the lower edge of the keyboard area.

The protective plastic is still over the badge though :)

It's from China so it may have a bad GTIA, I'll have to check...

Edited by Level42

Sounds good!

Mmmm, I found this bit on this forum:

Defective layouts are those with a production date from 9040 to 9152 (the number placed on the right side of the symbol AMI).

This GTIA has a date code of 9119 so looks like it's a buggy one.... :(

I'm willing to send you both units if you want.

Other things that struck me:

-the processor is a UMC, this is a Soviet brand chip maker (I recently ordered a couple of UMC and other former eastern block processor just for fun and to see if they'd work. They work just fine actually.

- the 800XE mobo says "130XE (64x4) and it has just two 4464's (of different brands) for RAM and there are two open spots for two more RAM chips, but there also seems to be a chip missing at U34. (some 0 Ohm resisters there).

I'm afraid the 800XE has the infamous keyboard trouble, I'll have a look if it's an easy fix.

Edited by Level42

Mmmm, I found this bit on this forum:

Defective layouts are those with a production date from 9040 to 9152 (the number placed on the right side of the symbol AMI).

This GTIA has a date code of 9119 so looks like it's a buggy one.... :(

I'm willing to send you both units if you want.

Other things that struck me:

-the processor is a UMC, this is a Soviet brand chip maker (I recently ordered a couple of UMC and other former eastern block processor just for fun and to see if they'd work. They work just fine actually.

- the 800XE mobo says "130XE (64x4) and it has just two 4464's (of different brands) for RAM and there are two open spots for two more RAM chips, but there also seems to be a chip missing at U34. (some 0 Ohm resisters there).

I'm afraid the 800XE has the infamous keyboard trouble, I'll have a look if it's an easy fix.

The missing U34 is the MMU, not necessary with only 64K.

Hey Sargie,

That is a great offer there but I'd find it a waste to not fix this 800XE, I know they are pretty wanted in the US for their rarity and I have no use for it. I already own a PAL 800, a 600 XL, a 130XE, and a XEGS and I don't really collect them, just some ;)

I just checked the Mylar of the keyboard and it's gone, there have been attempts to fix it by taping some bare wire to some tracks but obviously it doesn't work and I don't want to fiddle with conductive glue or something like that, sooner or later it will fail again.

I could order a good GTIA and new mylar for the keyboard from Best electronics and replace both. However I don't know how handy you are. Replacing the Mylar is easy enough, just need to unscrew a lot of screws. Of course replacing the GTIA is a lot harder. Not sure if you could live with it or not ?

Or if you are handy enough to solder a new socket for the GTIA ?

what might be better though is this: I order the Mylar and PAL GTIA and have both delivered to you, you can replace the Mylar and I will remove the bad GTIA and install a socket for the GTIA so you only have to insert it in the socket the right way.

What do you think ? Shipping the parts to you saves shipping and import duties to here.

Another alternative is I sell the 800XE to Kyle and with that money (plus a bit) I could try to find another PAL machine here and then ship that to you. Not sure what Kyle would offer for it though ?