IGNORED

Atari 800XL, no color from composite output

cyco130

Hi everyone,

I've got a PAL 800XL with the (AFAIK) newer XLF board. I can't get any color from the composite output with an LG flat screen. The cable itself that I made seems to work. I tried adjusting the color trim pot but it didn't help (except changing the pattern of the vertical lines I'm seeing).

I can't try the RF output because I don't have a cable for it.

I would appreciate any ideas on where I should start looking.

Thanks everyone!

I don't know what the problem was but resetting the TV settings to factory defaults brought the color back. (Yes, the TV is from PAL land and I was using the composite output, not separate luma and chroma).

By the way the XLF boards do have the chroma output connected (at least the one that I own does). That brings me to my second question:

I made a cable that connects the Atari's monitor outputs to audio, composite and s-video (luma + chroma) inputs of my TV. The composite output is fine, it's a bit blurry but I think that's to be expected and I'm not too picky. S-video output seems to be sharper but I'm seeing these jiggly vertical lines with all my Ataris (including the ones with no chroma) as you can see in the attached photo.

I've completely disconnected the RF box and later removed the C56 cap hoping for a quick and dirty fix but I didn't notice any improvement. Any ideas?

ivlp50.jpg

Edited by cyco130

I used to spend a lot of time fiddling with these kinds of "vertical banding" issues before I stuck VBXEs in all my frequently used machines and stopped worrying about it... but way back when I first dug my 65XE out of storage, a reasonable solution was a (then) readily available s-video cable on eBay which had (IIRC) a diode in-line on the chroma pin. For reasons unknown, this really reduced the banding effect and (without much electrical know-how), I ended up experimenting with diodes and caps inside the machine. Unfortunately I can offer little insight on the whys and the hows, but I can say that the effect can be reduced or eliminated if you're prepared to mess with the video circuit.

Quite a good thread on it here, and there are many others if you do a search for "s-video" or "vertical banding".