IGNORED

About the 80 Track Update for the TI FDC

Omega-TI

OK thanks, so that would also explain that I still could read another 5,25" TI disk written on another 40 track drive/system.

To clarify, the 80-track upgrades allow drive(s) up to 80 tracks per side via the DSR. If you put a 40-track drive at an 80-track position, but alway treat it as 40-track, it will work fine. I.e., as long as you put a 40-track disk written in a 40-track drive attached to an 80-track position, it will work.

If you put a 40-track drive at an 80-track position, as long as you always format at 40 tracks or less, it should work. If you format a 40-track drive drive to 80-track, the 40th track (track 39, count starts at 0) gets overwritten 40 times with tracks 40 through 79. What you are left with is a disk with tracks 0 to 38 and 79.

The 80-track upgrades to the TI controller behave differently to the 80-track Myarc controllers. The TI upgrades do not double step. The Myarc 80-track options double step to allow reading of 40-track disks in 80-track drives.

• Like 2

To clarify, the 80-track upgrades allow drive(s) up to 80 tracks per side via the DSR. If you put a 40-track drive at an 80-track position, but alway treat it as 40-track, it will work fine. I.e., as long as you put a 40-track disk written in a 40-track drive attached to an 80-track position, it will work.

If you put a 40-track drive at an 80-track position, as long as you always format at 40 tracks or less, it should work. If you format a 40-track drive drive to 80-track, the 40th track (track 39, count starts at 0) gets overwritten 40 times with tracks 40 through 79. What you are left with is a disk with tracks 0 to 38 and 79.

The 80-track upgrades to the TI controller behave differently to the 80-track Myarc controllers. The TI upgrades do not double step. The Myarc 80-track options double step to allow reading of 40-track disks in 80-track drives.

Thanks, that´s what I thought, so if I understood it correctly the best option would always be to order the upgrade ROM configuration for 80, 80, 80 track for all 3 drives then, if you still could use also your old drive.

..., if you still could use also your old drive.

IF, the magic word there. Do you also have an HDX? If so use DSK2PC to easily make DSK images of all your current 40 track disks. This will CYA if anything goes wonkers on you. If needed you'll be able to use Ti99Dir to copy the stuff over to your new 80 track DSK images.

I never want to miss my 40-80-80 with DSK1:origin-40-drive (TI-Ctrl) :)

Very interesting to hear about the DDCC-1´s doublestepping, now I understand why the TI-Ctrl has the "problems"...

xXx

The DDCC-1 clone is my new 'Holy Grail'. When that baby comes out I'm gonna be ecstatic. That will give a guy the potential of 2.88 megabytes accessible AT ONE TIME. Considering the size of the average TI program and even factoring in for possible, although improbable enhancements that seems like enough to me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think no as they are not interchangeable. If I recall correctly when I thought of the same issue because my programmer had issues with 2532 eproms i found that various pins are different according to the datasheet between the two eproms. I am sure you could use them but you would have to bend the pins out and connect them to the correct lines on the PCB.

Now remember. This is if my memory is serving me correctly.

I ended up ordering a set from ArcadeShopper so I could just drop them in.

post-35187-0-75406700-1474663018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shift838

someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think no as they are not interchangeable. If I recall correctly when I thought of the same issue because my programmer had issues with 2532 eproms i found that pins 18 and 21 appear to be reversed in the datasheet between the two eproms. I am sure you could use them but you would have to bend the pins out and connect them to the correct lines on the PCB.

Now remember. This is if my memory is serving me correctly.

I ended up ordering a set from ArcadeShopper so I could just drop them in.

Thanks, that explains why it's not working. :) So pin 18 and 21 should be exchanged? It's worth trying now that I have the chips. Otherwise I will also have to order some 2532s from arcadeshopper since my programmer doesn't seem to be able to program them.

• Like 1

Thanks, that explains why it's not working. :) So pin 18 and 21 should be exchanged? It's worth trying now that I have the chips. Otherwise I will also have to order some 2532s from arcadeshopper since my programmer doesn't seem to be able to program them.

which programmer do you have? Some EPROM programmers required an external power source to program certain chips. I know my GQ-4X does for 2532's!