IGNORED

Factory Sealed Activision Games

A while back I decided to pursue the factory sealed Activision games as a fun collecting subset. So far I have identified 5 of the 7 as originally available factory sealed. I have yet to see a sealed Beamrider or Pitfall. If anyone can verity the existence of these, feel free to let me know.

I recently picked up one of the rarer and more difficult to find sealed Activision games:

River Raid (sealed) 1

River Raid (sealed) 2

River Raid (sealed) 3

I'm still missing a sealed Worm Whomper, but if the two unsealed games mentioned above don't exist, it would be the last one I need to complete this sub-collection. Of course I'm broke now, but I can be patient on the Worm Whomper ;-) They are out there and I'll eventually grab one.

Here is a pic of the ones I have so far. Again, the Dreadnaught Factor, Happy Trails, River Raid, and Stampede are all factory sealed. The others are not. Enjoy!

Intellivision Activision Collection

• Like 2

Huh, my Dreadnaught Factor has the same sticker on the top, maybe we bought them from the same seller?

For some reason the Happy Trails and Stampede seams are on the sides of the boxes instead of the top/bottom...

As long as we're posting pics here's one of a sealed Pitfall! I was lucky enough to come across, it's seams are on the top/bottom like Dreadnaught and Beamrider...

DSC04529.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

...And it looks like someone here has just outbid me on the sealed Beamrider on ebay right now...

Edited by Certifiable
  • Like 1

Huh, my Dreadnaught Factor has the same sticker on the top, maybe we bought them from the same seller?

For some reason the Happy Trails and Stampede seams are on the sides of the boxes instead of the top/bottom...

As long as we're posting pics here's one of a sealed Pitfall! I was lucky enough to come across, it's seams are on the top/bottom like Dreadnaught and Beamrider...

DSC04529.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

...And it looks like someone here has just outbid me on the sealed Beamrider on ebay right now...

;-)

• 5 months later...

Well I finally acquired a sealed copy of Worm Whomper. I'm assuming it's genuine. I didn't pay much more than the going rate for an opened one, so still a great deal. Here she is!

Worm Whomper (Sealed)

Addressing some earlier posts in this thread (*scroll to bottom for a very short summary*)....
I've done some investigating and I'm pretty sure that my sealed copies of Stampede and Happy Trails are reseals. I'm kinda bummed, but the evidence is there. I didn't pay too much for either, but it just proves that the sealed market is tricky and you should definitely do your research and buy responsibly. Here's the original pic from earlier:

Intellivision Activision Collection

Evidence & Identifying Characteristics:
There are at least 2 major things to check for. First, the seams on the plastic should be on the top and bottom, not on the sides (display spines) of the game. The copies of the Dreadnaught Factor that came from Venezuela were all this way. In contrast, the copies of Pitfall and Beamrider that came from Venezuela weren't sealed, so they probably weren't resealing games. If they were, they probably would have done Pitfall and Beamrider as well. Most of the sealed games that people are posting (and a majority of the sealed Activision games that I have seen) have the top and bottom seams. My copies of Stampede and Happy Trails are in the minority. Also, I inspected them closer and they look to have some wear on the box under certain parts of the undamaged seam. :( The second major identifier is the overlap of the plastic on the back of the box (pointed out by boxpressed).

Don't Activision factory seals have a one-inch vertical band on the reverse?

So here are some updated pics for reference (notice the seams on the bottoms of the boxes):

Activision Sealed Games_edges

Activision Sealed Games_fronts

Here's a shot of the backs showing the overlap band that boxpressed pointed out:

Activision Sealed games (back seam overlap)

My Happy Trails and Stampede don't have this band on the back.

* Sorry this turned out to be so long. I tend to get long winded :P Here's the 'too long, didn't read' summary:

Finally got a sealed Worm Whomper.

My Happy Trails and Stampede are reseals

Sealed Activision games have seals on top/bottom as well as an overlapping band on the back of the box

• Like 2

OK, I'm taking a poll. I'm normally not a big fan of stickers on boxes and I'm considering taking these off. I love the $4.99 price (considering its current worth), but I really like the look of a nice stickerless front for sealed games. I'm pretty confident I can get them off without compromising the seal. Any thoughts or opinions?

Worm Whomper (Sealed)

I think you should leave the stickers on. Why? They are part of the "history" of that package. They have time-traveled along with the game and box to be in your hands today. Why would you remove them? They are part of the object that you purchased and own, presumably for its intrinsic historical interest. Why remove them? So that you can have a plain plastic wrapped box with no individuality or etc? As it is, no other WW box looks exactly like yours. Remove the stickers and you have made it look like every other WW box with plastic on it. If you're of the mind-set to remove the stickers, why not just remove all of the plastic and re-shrink wrap it yourself? Wouldn't that be just as satisfying? Is it the 30 year old plastic that prevents you from wanting to rip it open? Of course! If that's true, then respect the 30 year old stickers that are arguably the best and most interesting part of that particular collected piece. It's truly fantastic that the piece has a LOWERING set of prices on it. A visible, not authentically replaceable once destroyed, wonderful bit of consumer/social archaeology evidencing the video game crash of its era.

• Like 7

I think you should leave the stickers on. Why? They are part of the "history" of that package. They have time-traveled along with the game and box to be in your hands today. Why would you remove them? They are part of the object that you purchased and own, presumably for its intrinsic historical interest. Why remove them? So that you can have a plain plastic wrapped box with no individuality or etc? As it is, no other WW box looks exactly like yours. Remove the stickers and you have made it look like every other WW box with plastic on it. If you're of the mind-set to remove the stickers, why not just remove all of the plastic and re-shrink wrap it yourself? Wouldn't that be just as satisfying? Is it the 30 year old plastic that prevents you from wanting to rip it open? Of course! If that's true, then respect the 30 year old stickers that are arguably the best and most interesting part of that particular collected piece. It's truly fantastic that the piece has a LOWERING set of prices on it. A visible, not authentically replaceable once destroyed, wonderful bit of consumer/social archaeology evidencing the video game crash of its era.

Excellent analysis! As it sits, it tells a story...one of an orphan unwanted by all but those willing to pay but the mere cost of a footlong sub. Someone bought it in the 1980s. It then sat, or possibly was traded around, for 30 years until it ended up in my hands where it will be loved and displayed as one of the more prized pieces of my collection.

I think the answer is clear. Buy a second sealed Worm Whomper so I can have one with stickers and one without. Viva la variacion!

Excellent analysis! As it sits, it tells a story...one of an orphan unwanted by all but those willing to pay but the mere cost of a footlong sub. Someone bought it in the 1980s. It then sat, or possibly was traded around, for 30 years until it ended up in my hands where it will be loved and displayed as one of the more prized pieces of my collection.

I think the answer is clear. Buy a second sealed Worm Whomper so I can have one with stickers and one without. Viva la variacion!

:)

• Like 1

I've always wondered how the manual and overlays were originally packaged in Activision games. Does the manual sit between the two flaps on the black insert box? Where do the overlays go? Can anyone who has opened a sealed Activision game answer this? Or better yet, is there an "unboxing" video out there somewhere?

What I find even more amazing (and amusing) is that it looks like there are FOUR price stickers on that box, which means it got marked down three times! I can read two of the prices, but two bad we don't know the other ones. Wonder what it started at. $40?

This is not a sealed Activision game but does speak to the point of telling a story... This Burgertime once sold for $29.97 at Kmart and then it got marked down over and over again until it eventually found itself in the bargain bin at $3.00. Not sure if it sold higher at one point but there are 10 price stickers on that upper right side of the box.

post-31518-0-71677900-1406600690_thumb.jpg post-31518-0-98711500-1406600695_thumb.jpg

• Like 5