IGNORED

Improving SIO Speed for SIO2SD

bbking67

One of the web sites for the SIO2Sd has some instructions to remove a resitor and add two capacitors to improve SIO speed and reliability.

Is this a reliable mod? Seems easy to do and claims to increase speeds tremendously (I'm assuming using the right drivers).

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/HighSpeed_en

"In most cases SIO2SD can work with speed up to 127kb/s (hsindex = 0) without major hardware modifications. The only important thing is to add 4k7 ohm resistor (if you do not have one already) between SIO DATAOUT and +5V (pin 1 and 5 of SIO connector).

It should be enough, but more advanced users should remove also at least two capacitors from Atari. Capacitors to be removed connect DATAOUT and DATAIN with ground. Those are small, 100nF capacitors (looks like resistors). In 800XL, 65XE and 130XE computers they have numbers C77 and C78. To show the difference please look below at oscillograms - with and without those capacitors."

I missed that the first time. You REMOVE the two capacitors, do NOT ADD any.

Can't say for sure about the resistor.

Oops I reversed that... add the resistor remove the caps i meant.

What is the purpose of adding the 4K7 resistor between data and gnd?

Edited by bbking67

Resistor between DATAOUT / +5V - I would think that should be to help improve rise time, ie slope of SIO output when going from 0 to 1.

I did some stuff with PIA outputs that relied on precise high-speed switching when testing video output (used PIA as trigger).

Early on I realised it was pointless relying on the 0 -> 1 transition as it just took so long and was inconsistent.

High-speed SIO it's probably the same case. 1->0 transitions tend to be very fast but not necessarily the case the other way around.

Resistor between DATAOUT / +5V - I would think that should be to help improve rise time, ie slope of SIO output when going from 0 to 1.

I did some stuff with PIA outputs that relied on precise high-speed switching when testing video output (used PIA as trigger).

Early on I realised it was pointless relying on the 0 -> 1 transition as it just took so long and was inconsistent.

High-speed SIO it's probably the same case. 1->0 transitions tend to be very fast but not necessarily the case the other way around.

Correct the resistor is known as a pull up resistor and is used to improve the rise time

Removal of the caps (or resizing) remove the rounding effect on the edges of the square wave data pulse train, thus faster switching can occur without crosstalk

All my Ataris have caps intact and I have no issues with high-speed SIO with an SIO2PC, I can run divisor 0 no problem with Hias's patch and the U1MB or IDE+2 high-speed OSes (which I believe are basically the same thing as the Hias patched Atari OS). I wonder if removing the caps will actually make any difference in real throughput on a given baudrate!?

Edited by atari8warez

Just listening to the IO noise will usually indicate how healthy it is, if it's having high success rate it'll be a smooth, consistent train of beeps.

Wonder if anyone has done an in-depth SIO health benchmark - ie something that lists how many command retries, how many data frames retries etc.

One of the web sites for the SIO2Sd has some instructions to remove a resitor and add two capacitors to improve SIO speed and reliability.

Is this a reliable mod? Seems easy to do and claims to increase speeds tremendously (I'm assuming using the right drivers).

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/HighSpeed_en

"In most cases SIO2SD can work with speed up to 127kb/s (hsindex = 0) without major hardware modifications. The only important thing is to add 4k7 ohm resistor (if you do not have one already) between SIO DATAOUT and +5V (pin 1 and 5 of SIO connector).

It should be enough, but more advanced users should remove also at least two capacitors from Atari. Capacitors to be removed connect DATAOUT and DATAIN with ground. Those are small, 100nF capacitors (looks like resistors). In 800XL, 65XE and 130XE computers they have numbers C77 and C78. To show the difference please look below at oscillograms - with and without those capacitors."

If it is +5V and SIO DATAOUT then the website should read (pin 10 and 5 of SIO connector. I took my Atari apart last night and put a resistor between pin 1 and pin 5 and I got no response at all from the SIO2PC and AspeQT. I had to take the resistor out and re read my book and realized that pin 1 is not the +5 V pin.

reliable who knows. Someone just wrote above to use data and gnd.

Edited by rdea6

• 2 weeks later...

It was already known back in the 80's that SIO speed could be made more reliable if you removed the pulldown caps from the SIO datalines. Compyshop advised Speedy 1050 users strongly to remove 2 caps from the 1050 PCB, these serve the same purpose as the ones you refer to. This mod was essential in order to make use of the highest SIO speed supported by the Speedy.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari