IGNORED

tv or monitor

mark

Using a monitor tends to result in a much cleaner and more vibrant picture, especially if it connects through S-Video or RGB. You can get a good picture on a TV also, just as long as you're not having to connect through RF.

However since no "good" composite or seperated video (like the Commodore 1701) monitors have been released in years the chances of finding one with a picture tube in good condition is remote and infact even if you do it will not be as good as an off the shelf 14" TV these days...

Get a nice new flatscreen small TV - like a SONY, with Composite and/or Svideo input, your 8bit will look GREAT on it thru either connection, way better than the best of the so called monitors from the 80/90's...

sTeVE

Not to try disagreeing with you, Jetbook Jack, but you can still find older monitors with screens that are still in good condition. Granted, most new TVs like what you mentioned will look better, but you can find an older monitor for pretty cheap, depending on where you go. :D

I'm using a Commodore 1084s (the s is for stereo) at home. I think its a re-badged phillips CM8833 monitor. I didn't realise it came with an Amiga 500 and a ton of games when i bought it 2nd hand through a cix conference! :roll:

Qualities just fine and dandy.

My 130XE is wired up to it via a din to RCA audio cable i got from maplins. Oh and a little bit of cable alchemy with Y splitters so the sound comes from both speakers.

Other than that, I use an old (proberbly early to mid 80's) 2nd hand 12 inch colour TV which seems almost as good despite the signal being an ordinary TV output. I picked that Gem up from a charity shop for next to nothing, because the Atari's picture just didn't seem right on my 24 inch TV! (its just too big)

It seems that the Commodore Amiga scene MAY be the place to pick up such monitors these days. But as others have said, Scart/Peritel/S-Video will proberbly give you just as good. As the Atari's output is compisite Video, I'm not entierly sure as to how well that will work or how to wire it. I do know some Atari's lack either the Chroma or the Luma output. On my Commodore there is a push button switch that compensates for that. On other systems, i can't say. :sad:

best of luck either way you go.