IGNORED

How do I transfer my game progress?

Nebulon

G'day.

I have two XBOX 360-S machines and I'd like to continue playing some of the games that I started on the downstairs machine on the upstairs machine.

I don't do any on-line gaming. It's campaign only.

Is there an easy way to carry my save data over to the other machine?

So far, what I've seen looks pretty complex due to the unique ID for each XBOX 360 unit.

Either one of these suggestions will work.

To copy to a USB flash drive, stick one in the 360 and format it. First you want to log in with your Gamertag so you can move your files.

Go to the "blades" menu (push the big chrome X button) Go all the way to the right and choose "system settings" then choose storage.

You should be able to find the new USB flash drive, they usually show up as "memory unit" and format it, you'll also have the opportunity to rename it. After that's done you can move files between the HDD and the new drive. Do into Hard Drive and find your game save under "games and apps" choose the game save you want and click on it. it'll pull up a menu where you can copy, move or delete the save. Simply copy it and then choose the new location. You could also do what Bilnick suggested and save it to the cloud, that will only work if both units are online.

Hope that helps.

One of the units is slated for on-line and the other will never be connected or updated. So that cancels out the cloud option (thanks though).

As for copying across -- I tried that. Unfortunately, the 360 is pretty smart and knows that it's a copy across to a different profile. Turns out that each profile you make on a machine has a unique number generated for it. I'm guessing it's a number that is created in conjunction with the MAC (or whatever unique hardware ID) the particular XBOX 360 has. There's a utility for the PC that allows you to view these numbers. Even when the same profile name is used on two 360 machines, the profile numbers that the console sees are different.

At the end of the day, it just returns an error to the effect that there's a profile mismatch.

Nope. They're both mint and unmodded. In fact, one of them has never been on Live, so it can't have been banned.

And the account for the machine that has been on Live is still good.

I'd like to avoid having to move my profile over from one machine to the other. All I want are the save game locations for the campaigns so that I don't have to start over from the beginning again when I change locations from one floor to another.

The profile that the games are saved under has never been connected to XB Live (and it never will).

Edited by Nebulon

Unfortunately, the 360 is pretty smart and knows that it's a copy across to a different profile. Turns out that each profile you make on a machine has a unique number generated for it.

Nah, I have currently 5 Xbox 360s, and over the years have about 3 or 4 other units, as long as you log into the console with a valid profile, and the same profile that made the game save you should be able to move your gamesaves.

I've literally done this hundreds of times. Just last month I moved a Crackdown game save from 2009 off my old Fat Call of Duty 360 to my newest Halo Slim 360 and was able to jump right back in the game fine.

Granted you wouldn't be able to move anyone elses saves, but what I'm describing to you should work for your saves. The only cases I can think of where it doesn't work, is there are a very few, mostly early games that wouldn't let you copy a file, but would let you move it. Dead or Alive Xtream 2 was on, I'm sure there were others. You could try to move instead of copy and see if that's the issue. Ather than that, not sure what you are doing wrong, I suggest deleting your gamertag profile, going online and re-downloading it and trying again.

As far as moving your profile to another machine, why bother? Just copy your profile to the same USB stick. You can then take that USB stick and use it on any 360 you want. Before the cloud, that's how I would jump around from 360 to 360, this was back when you could only have your profile downloaded to one place at a time. I chose the memory card because that made it easy to go from unit to unit. Now it's a moot point, you can have your profile sitting on as many units as you want. I have a copy on all 5 of mine.

EDIT : I just thought of something, do you have a unique custom gamertag, like "Nebulon" that you use to log into Live or are you using some sort of Player1 default profile?

Thanks! I'll have to give this another shot.

I did run into the file copy restriction that you mentioned. I was only given the option to move the save file and was not allowed to copy it to the USB stick.

It's been awhile, but I'm guessing that I took that as meaning that NO files could be copied -- only moved.

So I then proceeded to create a new profile under the same name on the second 360. And therein lies the problem since the new profile under a different name is still viewed by the XBOX 360 as a totally unique profile.

In your case, you copied the profile and carried it to the other XB.

Stay tuned...