IGNORED

Veccy Bird

mikiex

Awesome!!

Have to try this.

Quick question:

-Added Support for Vectrex standard high score

What is "Vectrex standard high score"?

As far as I know, the Vec doesn't have any internal backup up memory for high scores?

Just played it.. Great Game!!

Wow.. I got up to 2!! Woo Hoo.. (OK, I haven't played the original, but this is making me feel even older than usual :-)

desiv

(On a side note, I used WINE for menumaker for my VecMulti and it appears to have worked fine. Burned down my XP machine, installed MINT and seeing what works.)

Edited by desiv

Awesome!!

Have to try this.

Quick question:

What is "Vectrex standard high score"?

As far as I know, the Vec doesn't have any internal backup up memory for high scores?

Just played it.. Great Game!!

Wow.. I got up to 2!! Woo Hoo.. (OK, I haven't played the original, but this is making me feel even older than usual :-)

desiv

(On a side note, I used WINE for menumaker for my VecMulti and it appears to have worked fine. Burned down my XP machine, installed MINT and seeing what works.)

The Vectrex memory normally survives pressing the reset button, when warm booting it displays the title of the rom and what was previously stored as ascii in the memory location used for highscore. So yes it doesn't have memory backup but it does have a standard ram location for the scores/highscore.

I wasn't using the standard ram locations for scoring at all as I rolled my own scoring system. But I now copy the highscores into the standard location to conform more, if say an emulator could backup scores then it would just work now.

Thanks for giving it a go :)

But in this one the bird isn't angry, she's flappy. ;)

Great game Mikiex! It's addictive, and better than the ios version. My current high score is 12.

I love the physics of this game. It would be fun to play a Veccy Bird sequel in a different environment.

Thanks xefned, I look forward to you making some Vectrex games :)

• Like 1

Thanks xefned, I look forward to you making some Vectrex games :)

Thanks! I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me. But I"m prepared for the challenge.

I may hit you up for the info on how to save the high score in the proper Vectrex register if I can't figure it out :)

I have played a few Flappy clones and this one to me is in the middle of difficulty. The original was awful by the way, I have no idea why people like it.

There is an easier version (to me anyway) on Android where the bird flies in a more controlled arc. That leaves you at the mercy of luck sometimes as the bird doesn't always fall fast enough to clear a pipe.

This game works well on my Vec Multi. I rarely put new games on there but this was worth breaking the cart open again.

I have played a few Flappy clones and this one to me is in the middle of difficulty. The original was awful by the way, I have no idea why people like it.

The other differences are that with Veccy the pipes are always in the same position, it's also possible to complete! (version 1.5)

So far only one person I know of has managed it - Wazzal on the Vector gaming forums.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

Amazing work!

I love retro ports of modern games:D

one thing I was wondering though, did you realise you went over the 32k mark with 1.5?

I made an eprom cart a while back thinking the vectrex only used 2732 eproms, so I havent got the pins for a 2764:(

veccy bird 1.5 sure gives strange results when you only burn the first 32k haha.

I've seen a couple of bank-switch style eprom cart projects which only support 32k roms too, so if high compatibility is something youre aiming for it's a good thing to keep in mind:)

Have you made any other games? I'd be keen to check them out.. if theyre under 32k:P

James

Hey,

Amazing work!

I love retro ports of modern games:D

one thing I was wondering though, did you realise you went over the 32k mark with 1.5?

I made an eprom cart a while back thinking the vectrex only used 2732 eproms, so I havent got the pins for a 2764:(

veccy bird 1.5 sure gives strange results when you only burn the first 32k haha.

I've seen a couple of bank-switch style eprom cart projects which only support 32k roms too, so if high compatibility is something youre aiming for it's a good thing to keep in mind:)

Have you made any other games? I'd be keen to check them out.. if theyre under 32k:P

James

Hi James,

Thanks for you comments!

Thats wierd, the first release was under 4k, v1.5 is under 6k. So I really don't know why its not working correctly for you. Might be worth asking someone who knows more about carts on the Vector gaming forums.

I've not made any other games, I did start writing a tutorial which will result in a finished game but I've not had time to progress this (maybe when winter comes!)

Its worth checking out the Vector gaming forum and looking out for new releases as its got a lot more active recently with developers old and new working on stuff.

Vectrex can run a 32kByte game, it has address lines from A0 to A14 with eight bits on each... that's 32kBytes.

So if you have a 2732 eprom, that is 32 kbits, which is 4kBytes... to hook up a 2764 you just need to add another addressline.

2732 and 2764:

2732.png2764.png

Cartridge pinout of Vectrex:

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Vectrex_Cartridge

If you want to make sure you can use larger roms up to 32kByte perhaps a 27C256 is a good choice:

27256.png

If you use even larger eprom you can add switches for the extra address lines so you can have several games on the same cartridge (multicart).

Edited by e5frog