IGNORED

Anyone remember the rubbish 1010?

Foebane

That was the data cassette recorder styled after the XL line, and BOY was it a pile of crap!

I had two, one after the other, and they both failed because the fact the buttons snapped so easily due to the stupid way it was designed - if you've ever taken one apart, you'll know what I mean.

I just wish I'd gotten the later, flatter design that I'm sure lasted longer. :D

Yup. Pile-o-crap. Straight out of the box the first 1010 I bought wouldn't read any tape.

Conversely, I wore out a 410 that ran like the energizer bunny. Eventually, after YEARS of use the play button would not stay down and I had to use a vice grips to read/record tapes.

Yes,

bought my 1010 recorder in 1985 and it still WORKS ! But as said before, there are two versions, one made in Japan (orange sticker/button/plate inside) and one made in Hong Kong (silver sticker/button/plate inside). The one made in Japan is the one to go for, the Hong Kong version is pure crap !

On the other hand, I bought ten 1010 recorders very cheap at ebay, two of them (made in Japan, orange sticker inside) did work, the other eight (made in Hong Kong, silver sticker) did not work. But these thingy`s have two SIO ports and a nice case. Currently two 1010 recorders are working as SIO2SD for me (both SIO ports active/used) and two other recorders are used as housing for the IDE+ interface and a harddisk. So I still have some non-working 1010 recorders left for some more A8 hardware enhancements...

-Andreas Koch.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I had a Japanese one as I bought mine pretty early after the XL series release (together with a 600 XL). I never had any problems with it.

In fact, I was boasting against other computer users who had to use "any" tape drive and C64 tape driver owners because they so often had problems with theirs.

I never had to readjust the head or whatever. I did some head-cleaning every 6 months or so....but that is normal work on any tape drive.

I had two, one after the other, and they both failed because the fact the buttons snapped so easily due to the stupid way it was designed - if you've ever taken one apart, you'll know what I mean.

I started out with a 600XL / 1010 combo that served me relatively well for a few years, until I could upgrade to a 130XE and 1050. It was reliable in terms of reading tapes, but I did have the fingers-breaking-off-the-button problem. I took it apart and fixed them relatively easily by heating and inserting small nails into the buttons, where the 'fingers' used to be.

I don't know which particular type of 1010 I had.

When the buttons snapped, I ended up having to remove the brown plate at the front so I could access the levers that the plastic buttons pushed against, and I remember even making a replacement cardboard front, cutting holes, and using square Lego pieces as buttons!

During that time, at one point I had a tape playing and I pushed in the large push-spring lever on the circuit board that the Record button used to push against, and I realised I'd recorded over that part of the tape! Because the "write-protect" mechanism was bypassed, you see.

And lastly, one of my 1010's (actually, I think one of them was a friend's) died when I took it's power lead to plug it in and I inadvertantly stuck the plug into a couple of SIO pins and fried the circuit board. Oops!

What wonderful memories! ;)

Page 6 & Atari User (uk) magazines both had articles on how to DIY repair a broken 1010 button (Usually resulted in swapping it out for the pause button and then repairing the broken one and putting it back in as the pause button)

I never had a button break, nor did I have to replace belts until several years ago.This is on a combination of both the Hong Kong & the Japan models

I never had any problems with my initial 1010 which was bought back in 1985, I did purchase one about 2005 and it did suffer from a few problems.

I have also had 2 XC12's both of which failed.

The only tape decks I have had 100% reliability on were the XC11's-although that may just be luck of the draw.

I never had any problems with my initial 1010 which was bought back in 1985, I did purchase one about 2005 and it did suffer from a few problems.

I have also had 2 XC12's both of which failed.

The only tape decks I have had 100% reliability on were the XC11's-although that may just be luck of the draw.

Ah yes... the good XC11. I have a few of them too. I love the looks of those ... and the extra SIO connector on the back. Yes now you mention it... I think my XC11 is my most favorite tape deck, although my XC12 never failed, and my XC11 did eventually.

Yes,

bought my 1010 recorder in 1985 and it still WORKS ! But as said before, there are two versions, one made in Japan (orange sticker/button/plate inside) and one made in Hong Kong (silver sticker/button/plate inside). The one made in Japan is the one to go for, the Hong Kong version is pure crap !

On the other hand, I bought ten 1010 recorders very cheap at ebay, two of them (made in Japan, orange sticker inside) did work, the other eight (made in Hong Kong, silver sticker) did not work. But these thingy`s have two SIO ports and a nice case. Currently two 1010 recorders are working as SIO2SD for me (both SIO ports active/used) and two other recorders are used as housing for the IDE+ interface and a harddisk. So I still have some non-working 1010 recorders left for some more A8 hardware enhancements...

-Andreas Koch.

WOW,

Made'est' Thou Look!

Great little case! I Just gutted a 1027 Case for a 600XL specific "peripherals pack" that could hold a hard drive, P:R interface, 1020 printer. It shouldn't be a problem as I have already determined the 1020 will fit on one side but its control board would need to be on the opposite side. The SIO would need to be removed from the board to access them and be ported to the location on the back of thje 1027 case. If you place the 1020 control PCB directly in the same location( reversed power plug locale) the SIO ports fit well but the unity hogs up usable space.

Now the only thing is what to do with the remaining real estate on top of the case??

One of those rear view backup camera monitors that fit in the back of mini-van seats!!

The come with two composite video inputs, one for kids entertainment and the other for the dash cam. I bought one for 30$ on ebay and it works pretty well but this model has a wide screen so when you go SDTV you get insightly bars on the side.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SLDF7O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&tag=atariage&creativeASIN=B007SLDF7O&linkCode=as2

Just a test at the moment.. actually looking at an 11" that would work much better.