IGNORED

How do you mount arc files in Altirra..Please.

Mclaneinc

It says about mounting them as SpartadosX but today my head is working on quarter speed.

Could someone please explain the procedure, its just I have shed loads of .arc files and it would be nice to be able to play with them without extracting all of them.

Cheers

Paul.

Edited by Mclaneinc

It was probably you more than anyone that got the public awareness going - at first I was sceptical that anything would ever come along better than what we had at the time.

OK... SDX image. I don't know why that'd be a requirement, emulators usually don't care what filing system or content a disk image has.

Edited by Rybags

I didn't know they were supported either. When I want to un-arc something and I don't have Stuffit on the machine, I copy the ARC to a folder, mount the folder in Altirra, start SDX, and un-arc it from the emulated machine.

Wow... just looking in the "Help/About" option, I'm on the thanks list.

Nice! Just looked an I'm there too. Not sure what I did, but you're welcome Avery. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

I have to confess I used the Atari generally for gaming and Modem stuff, never got into mounting stuff (fnarr) so help this old cretin about how to mount stuff?

Do you mean using the H: and pointing to a folder?

Is there a special way to run SpartadosX?

Sorry, having a 'dim' day.....I blame the age :)

Cheers guys..

Do you mean using the H: and pointing to a folder?

SDX uses kernel device names so you can't get at "H:" from the command line. Avery implemented SIO-level folder imaging, though, and you get at this in the Disk Drives dialog, via the right-pointing wedge next to the drive entry. You can then refer to the imaged folder as - say - "B:" at the command prompt.

Aha, thank you for that..I have learnt a new thing about Altirra..

Yes now have a folder full of arcs etc but no idea what to do to them :)

I presumed you could just type the name of the arc and it would burst in to life but error 152 :)

Oh well, I'll just expand them manually until I know the secret :)

Thank you Ry and John.

NP! :) Type ARC X [filename] [dest-path] at the SDX prompt and they'll be unpacked to the desired location.

SIO-level folder imaging is one of the many super-cool features Avery implemented (as I hoped he would), and it made development so much easier. I'm really grateful for that. This kind of attention to detail is what makes Altirra the best A8 emulator, IMO.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi John,

Was just playing with that as it happens but I found if I tried to extract to the same mounted folder I got a disk full error, I extracted it to a fresh virtual DD disk and it was all ok, came out as a ctb file which I know is a Turbo basic file. I presume these only load from a Turbo Basic disk...(seems sensible)

At least I've learnt a few new things thanks to you guys.

In versions 2.00 through 2.40, .ARC files are only supported in Disk Explorer. You can mount them there and then drag the files out to a host folder. After that, format a disk in emulation and then Explore it directly from the Disk Drives dialog to copy the files back in. Mounting the folder via H: is hard to use with SpartaDOS X; you would need to use PCLink in that case.

In the latest 2.50 test releases, it is no longer necessary to manually extract and copy -- you can simply select the ARC file like any other disk image. Altirra will automatically create a new SpartaDOS disk and extract the archive into it, then mount the virtual disk read-only. This won't work if you are using another DOS that doesn't understand the SpartaDOS disk format, though. It uses SDFS because .ARC files are usually used with SDX and because SDFS is more flexible than the DOS 2 file system.

Thanks for the final bit of the puzzle Avery, very much appreciated and works a treat.

Ultimate1mb with Spartadosx and arc mounted on d2: worked perfectly, one little thing tho, it does not see arc files as known files, you have to select show all files to see them.

Deliberate or a to do?

But thanks all for the help...And hopefully bringing this feature out in the open will help others too.