IGNORED

Which modern storage solution?

I feel I must apologise for asking the question in the first place as it seems to have degenerated into an arguement (not what I intended)

From what I've been able to understand, My IDE looks like the best solution for a Atari newbie like me. My needs are simple, I just need fast and easy loading of the entire games catalogue.

Thanks.

I feel I must apologise for asking the question in the first place as it seems to have degenerated into an arguement (not what I intended)

From what I've been able to understand, My IDE looks like the best solution for a Atari newbie like me. My needs are simple, I just need fast and easy loading of the entire games catalogue.

Thanks.

get Myide2 , for gamers its the best option,by far

faster , and way more versatile

(if i need to develop i use cross compilers anyway)

Side2 on a stock machine is a no go

Well… although I agree with the statement that MyIDE is the best choice for a stock machine, I would not go so far that SIDE2 is a no go.

Side2 is very nice too, and I can appreciate the SDX switch and the reset button very much.

For games SIDE2 is still good choice, but not best.

So if you want to stick to stock atari, I think MyIDE 2 is best choice. If you have plans upgrading your atari, re-consider SIDE2.

Sio2SD is very cool too. Runs disk games that do not exist as file version.

It does, but to be blunt the version in a box supplied with a cable is overpriced when you compare it to the MyIDE. It's nearly a third more.

If he sold the bare board version complete with cable I'd be interested. But I don't want to have to solder my own cable.

My IDE is better value and should do everything a casual user like me will want by the looks of it.

Thanks.

Edited by chinnyhill10

It does, but to be blunt the version in a box supplied with a cable is overpriced when you compare it to the MyIDE. It's nearly a third more.

If he sold the bare board version complete with cable I'd be interested. But I don't want to have to solder my own cable.

My IDE is better value and should do everything a casual user like me will want by the looks of it.

Thanks.

Sio2SD in box is indeed rather expensive, but that is (probably) due to the cable. That SIO connector (although I have heard rumours about creating new batch of these connectors) is getting rare, so the price is high.

If you need any help with your MyIDE feel free to ask.

• 7 months later...

Just to revive this, I've been living with the MyIDE2 now since March.

It's quite superb. Really excellent value for money compared to storage solutions for other systems. My only complaint is getting the card initially setup was fiddly for someone with little experience of Atari's. I don't like executing commands and blindly following instructions if it's not clear what I am doing. If the card ever went wrong I have to rely on finding the instructions again as without them I would be lost. A far cry from my C64's 1541 Ultimate which just works with a straightforward FAT formatted card.

But once the card was setup it was dead easy to copy files across.

Just for loading up old games, it's the business. Really pleased with it. Highly recommended.

...Well, answering the questions two years ago would have been probably different than today...

...It would all depend (for the most part) on your intended USAGE and its possible evolution:

1. If all you want to do is fire up discrete / individual titles or games, here and there, I would consider "THE-Cart", as the solution that provides a better overall balance between convenience and capacity / storage.
  2. For the rest, I would go straight (and directly, non-stops) to [sIDE-II Cart + Utimate] (on XL-platform), or simply [incognito/SIDE] (which integrates it ALL, for the great-and-classic 800). These combos will not only allow you to fire up discrete titles, but will bring you:
    1. 1MB of RAM,
    2. 512K of flashable ROM (some of it also on SIDE cart),
    3. The killer SDX 4.4X DOS, fully flashable and customizable.
    4. External-button image-flip capabilities,
    5. LIVE .ATR-mount capabilities from SDX prompt,
    6. Live in-situ re-programming of SIDE/Ultimate/Incognito FLASH rom-slots and labels,
    7. SIDE-loader accessible directly from Ultimate or Incognito BIOS,
    8. Straight loading of Cart's ROM-dumps from SIDE-Loader (!),
    9. ...and all these while reading straight FAT / FAT32 card-format.

With all my due respect, I don't think (in TODAY's context), anything else would be worth of sideways attention or extra effort / pain, though.

My 0.02c.

Edited by Faicuai