IGNORED

Atari 8-bit S-Video

Tempest

Does someone make S-Video cables for the Atari 800? I've been using a standard Chroma/Luma/Audio cable with it, but now I have a Sony PVM monitor I want to use instead of my 1084 and that only has S-Video input (along with composite and RGB). I don't suppose there's any way the 800 can use the RGB inputs is there?

You can see the ports here:

m_44855_5.jpg

You can also just get one of these: RCA to S-Video Looks like pretty good quality. I have a similar one to go from my S-Video cable to RCA for my 1702.

There might be cheaper ones out there too. This is just the first one I pulled up.

Edited by MrFish

If you have chroma/luma out now it should work.

Here's a US offer for a complete cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-800-65XE-130XE-Deluxe-Color-S-Video-2-Channel-Audio-7-1-2-Cable-Tested-/231170331088?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d2d351d0

As for RGB there was an offer for boards in Marketplace a couple of months ago.

Edited by slx

I meant that the adapter you linked to should fit your current chroma/luma cable and allow you to connect to the mini-DIN on your Sony.

Ah ok. I think that may be the way to go then. Might get two and use my C64 with it as well.

I have several RCA-to-S-Video cables made by Hosa, available from several online stores, including this one. I'm quite happy with them. I did notice on my Commodore 64 that it is best if I run the luma through a mixer first, because the signal is quite "bright" compared to other systems. For my Atari 130XE the signals look good when fed straight to the TV. I don't have an 800 so I can't say what adjustments would be best, if any.

The S-video-to-3-tail RCA cable should work just as well. The only conceivable difference is the 3-tail cable breaks out all three signal lines possible with the S-video mini-DIN port. Actual S-video uses only two of those lines, which the Hosa cables provide for.

I can't see from the photo whether the audio input on the monitor is cinch or pin. Depending on your current monitor cable you might need an adapter cable for audio as well.

You know, that's a good question. I think it's a phono jack. I was going to use a pair of external speakers anyway though.

Does someone make S-Video cables for the Atari 800? I've been using a standard Chroma/Luma/Audio cable with it, but now I have a Sony PVM monitor I want to use instead of my 1084 and that only has S-Video input (along with composite and RGB). I don't suppose there's any way the 800 can use the RGB inputs is there?

You can see the ports here:

m_44855_5.jpg

Cory at 8-bit Classics has an awesome Atari monitor cable that allows Svideo, composite and dual audio. Great cable!

http://www.8bitclassics.com/av-cables/Atari-800-XL-XE-5-Pin-DIN-S-Video-Cable.html

I'm curious why there are 3 plugs as S-video only carries 2 signals. Hopefully it doesn't contain S-video to Composite mixing components that might degrade a pure s-video signal (in other words, a simple mixing circuit to make Composite from S-Video would cause leakage between the original signals).

I'm curious why there are 3 plugs as S-video only carries 2 signals. Hopefully it doesn't contain S-video to Composite mixing components that might degrade a pure s-video signal (in other words, a simple mixing circuit to make Composite from S-Video would cause leakage between the original signals).

The 4-pin mini-DIN plug used by S-video is actually capable of carrying three discrete signals, if they all share a common ground pin. I assume this cable adapts all three signals each to its own cable, in case there is an application other than S-video that uses this port and all three lines.

Edit: Actually, that raises a question: If the above is correct, which pin does this cable treat as the ground pin? There would be trouble if it uses one of the two pins S-video treats as live.

The Hosa 2-tail cables, or an Atari-specific video cable may be a safer bet.

The 4-pin mini-DIN plug used by S-video is actually capable of carrying three discrete signals, if they all share a common ground pin. I assume this cable adapts all three signals each to its own cable, in case there is an application other than S-video that uses this port and all three lines.

But the S-video standard is 2 signals and 2 grounds (so chroma and luma each have a return signal). Anything else would be a non-standard pinout.

But the S-video standard is 2 signals and 2 grounds (so chroma and luma each have a return signal). Anything else would be a non-standard pinout.

Would it be a problem to share a common ground pin between the two signals? Other video connections that rely on multiple signals, including the cables specifically designed for Atari computers, use a common ground.

As I mentioned in my edit, the only problem I can really see is if this generic cable uses as ground one of the pins S-video treats as live.

It wouldn't be a problem for short runs, but the reason for separate grounds is to make sure the signals have very low noise and crosstalk under a variety of different connection conditions. I'm not saying you couldn't put more signals in a 4-pin DIN, I'm just saying the S-video standard doesn't so I'm suspicious about the suitability of that adapter.

So long as 2 cables carry Y and C in the middle pin and GND on the outer it should be OK.

If there is some applications where reassignment takes place then logically it would use one GND for "other" and the other GND as normal.

Atari has the shared GND anyway so quality shouldn't be affected.

Of course if the cable has some totally different assignment for the inputs then it's not of much use.