IGNORED

800XL - keyboard issues

iast

Today I got in an 800XL, but after turning it on, I noticed the keyboard was unresponsive and, if left alone for a few moments, it'd just keep entering equal signs (=) repeatedly. I opened it up and noticed the cable:

http://imgur.com/a/12OGn

One side of plastic film had been peeled away and the traces on the cable look either burnt or oxidized. Unless cleaning a ribbon cable is viable, I'm gonna assume the cable itself is toast. Would a replacement make more sense/be easier?

That look normal to me all mine are darkened there also.. Occasionally I have to pull ribbon cable from the slot and GENTLY clean only the contact area of the plastic ribbon. Small pencil eraser --- nothing abrasive. alcohol and clean tissue or Q-tip. rubbed across the contacts.

Pencil erasers are abrasive. Magic Eraser (melamine foam) also works well to remove the oxidation. As the mylars age, the metal content in the paint oxidizes. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it, but often taking the keyboard apart, wiping everything down with something that won't leave a reside (rubbing alcohol would be ideal, but I don't know if it's safe...) and re-assembling it will take care of the problems. It's best to wear gloves for this to keep oils off the paint.

Putting it back in the connector takes patience and gentle rocking. I'd tape the cover sheet back down too if the tape has broken.

The best thing is to find an XL with a PCB-based keyboard and use it instead.

I see. I cleaned the connecting edge of the cable with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, and did manage to get it seated back in the connector, but it's still putting out equal symbols over and over.

That means it's shorted internally or the computer is having problems But if it stops when you unplug the keyboard, it's probably time to take all the screws out of the keyboard and clean the mylars. Leave the key assembly upside down, or little springs will fall out everywhere.

That means it's shorted internally or the computer is having problems But if it stops when you unplug the keyboard, it's probably time to take all the screws out of the keyboard and clean the mylars. Leave the key assembly upside down, or little springs will fall out everywhere.

Yep, it stops when the cable is removed. I'll try your suggestion and see if that helps.

Alright, wiping down the mylar thoroughly with alcohol seems to have helped. It's mostly responsive again and no longer spamming keys on its own. There's still about half a dozen keys that are still giving some trouble, might have to go over again but for now I can at least play some games on it. Thanks for the advice!