IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

FF Special is one of my favorite MVS games that I own. Real Bout FFS is also fantastic. Too bad they both have blah character endings.

Yeah, they only give you like 4 seconds to see their special endings and they don't make anything special to say! I thought SFII series did a better job with endings! ;-)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Continuing with the Fatal Fury series, I'm taking out "Fatal Fury 3: Road to the Final Victory". Released in 1995 for all of the Neo-Geo platforms, this game was also introduced for the Sega Saturn and Windows 95! It was also the first in the FF series to use a snap cases to store your game and a square manual instead of the rectangle versions before!

According to Wikipedia,

"Fatal Fury 3 retains the format and controls of the previous game in the series, Fatal Fury Special. However, the two-plane battle stages have been revamped into a three plane format known as the Oversway System. The player fights primarily in the middle plane or the main plane, but can move or "oversway" into either of the sway lines at the background (LP+LK) or foreground (LK+HP). When the player performs an attack in a sway plane (or an Oversway Attack), their character will return to the main plane. Likewise, the player can attack an opponent who is in a Sway Plane with an Anti-Oversway Attack. The player can also do a "Quick Sway" to avoid an attack, leaving the opponent vulnerable to a regular attack.

Other new techniques introduced in this installment includes controlling the height of the character's jump, block an opponent's attack at mid-air (Air Guard), and a new type of combo techniques known as Combination Arts, allowing the player to cancel a specific series (which varies between characters) of regular attacks from one to the other. In addition to the regular Special Moves, and the Super Special Moves which can only be performed when the life gauge is flashing red, each character also has a "Hidden Ability", which is a stronger version of a Super Special Move. A Hidden Ability occurs once in every 1024 chances whenever the player inputs the command for the character's Super Special Move. A Hidden Ability can also be used by activating "Super Mode" before a match using a secret code. The player then enters a specific command for the Hidden Ability when the life gauge is flashing red. Unlike Super Special Moves, a Hidden Ability can only be used once per round.

Fatal Fury 3 also features a Fighting Level system when fighting against the computer. When the player completes a round, their performance is graded from A to SSS. The final opponents the player faces at the end of the Single Player Mode is determined then by the player's average.

The player will have a choice between four characters as their first opponent (Joe, Mary, Bob and Franco). After the first four opponents are defeated, the player will fight against Ryuji Yamazaki for a plot-based match in which the player must win only one round. The player will then proceed to fight against Mai, Andy, Hon-Fu, Sokaku, Terry and Geese in that order, before Yamazaki again for a full match. Depending on the grade average, the game will end against Yamazaki or the player will fight against either, or both, of the Jin twins."

Regular characters:

Terry Bogard

Andy Bogard

Joe Higashi

Mai Shiranui

Geese Howard

Sokaku Mochizuki

Bob Wilson

Hon-Fu

Blue Mary

Franco Bash

Bosses:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Jin Chonshu

Jin Chonrei

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

3 had some of the best graphics in the series! Especially that aquarium stage (I think it was Mai's). That oversway system was not a particularly great idea IMHO. And it kinda sucked that you only got to choose from 9 fighters. I still enjoyed it (brutally hard at times, though). I remember I first saw this at an arcade in the oceanside town of Lincoln City, OR.

• Like 1

3 had some of the best graphics in the series! Especially that aquarium stage (I think it was Mai's). That oversway system was not a particularly great idea IMHO. And it kinda sucked that you only got to choose from 9 fighters. I still enjoyed it (brutally hard at times, though). I remember I first saw this at an arcade in the oceanside town of Lincoln City, OR.

I liked the helicopter stage myself. A few months ago I suckered a second player into running about 15 credits through FF3 with me. I can't even think of the last time I had a second player before that.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Shock Troopers and Riding Hero came in today.

Shock Troopers never stops being awesome, but it is a tad easy. Not that I'm 1cc'ing the thing or anything, but my first game felt like it should have ended long before it did. It's almost like the game should have had health bar *or* dodge button, but not both. Still, it's a pretty damn awesome experience. My favorites are the traveling portions where the fighting is aboard a moving vehicle. The scrolling really does it for me.

Riding Hero's gotten a little less love. I like the control--how it doesn't auto center gives me some great control in curves (instead of the usual tapping setup), I don't mind the unusually narrow roads, or the need to both accelerate and brake. Lots of skill is involved, and I like that. What I can't stand is how I can pass an opposing bike, very skillfully thread myself between 3 cars, start to accelerate down the straight and *BAM* he runs right through me thanks to rubberbanding. Maybe there's a way to predict when/where passes will happen. Another oddity is that the game keeps talking about money and energy (renewed by sleeping). I can't find a display telling me how much of either I have, but they sure tell me when I don't have enough. It really does feel a lot like Final Lap Twin, which also had kind of dodgy racing mechanics that I somehow got quite good at. I have a feeling the same will happen here.

• Like 2

I really want to share how Neo XYX AES Jp looks like, it's just awesome. This is the reason I'd never stop buying AES games until I die. Since I have trouble uploading the image from PC, nor is the site letting me tag the image from ng.com, you can just view it here

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17985&d=1408772407

• Like 1

Hi guys,

This morning, I'm continuing with "Real Bout Fatal Fury"! This is my favorite in the Fatal Fury series and a fun game to play!

According to Wikipedia,

"Real Bout changes the play controls from the previous Fatal Fury games, reducing the number of attack buttons from four to three: a standard Punch and Kick button, a "Strong Attack" button which can be either a stronger punch or kick attack, depending on the character. The game retains the three-plane "oversway" system from Fatal Fury 3, which features a main lane for fighting, with foreground and background planes used to avoid attacks or leap towards the opponent. A dedicated button is now used to make an "oversway" (or change plane) towards the background or foreground.

Real Bout introduces a Power Gauge, which fills up as the player performs normal or special techniques against their opponent or defend themselves, similar to many super move gauges featured in other fighting games. The Power Gauge allows players to perform one of three types of Special Techniques, depending of the level of the Power Gauge.

• When the gauge is at least half-full and colored yellow, the player can perform "Guard Cancels", which are special counterattacks that can be performed by the player after blocking an opponent's attack. They do not consume any filled portion of the Power Gauge.
  • When the Power Gauge reaches MAX level while the player still has more than half of their life gauge remaining, then the Power Gauge will enter "S. Power" level. The energy in the Power Gauge will begin to deplete gradually and during that time, the player can perform "Guard Cancels" or a "Super Special Move" (a powerful Special Move). However, once a Super Special Move is performed, the remaining energy in the Power Gauge will be consumed and the Power Gauge will return to its initial state.
  • When the Power Gauge reaches MAX level while the player has less than half of their life gauge remaining (when the life gauge is flashing red), the Power Gauge will enter "P. Power" level. In this state, the Power Gauge will gradually drain, but the player can perform both Guard Cancels and Super Specials indefinitely until the gauge runs out. The player can also perform a "Hidden Ability", an even more powerful Special Move (similar to the Hidden Abilities in the previous game), which will consume the remaining Power Gauge at this state.

Real Bout also introduces stages with ring-outs, a gameplay feature previously introduced in 3D fighting games such as Virtual Fighter If the player performs certain attacks on their opponent while next to the boundaries, the character will eventually destroy the barrier keeping the opponent in the ring and be able to knock them out of the stage for an easy win."

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Anybody have any experience with the savemasta VMC? I'm considering one, but I'd like to know more about it. As I recall it saves high scores when unibios is used, which I really want, because plugging in a game just to avoid losing a score is pretty annoying. I also can't really see where to buy it, except in pre-built CMVS units. Installation instructions also seem to be MIA. It's home page seems to be here and the hyphen site, which has a VMC thread on it, seems down this morning. I want it in my Omega anyway, so maybe I should just contact arcadeworks and see if they'll install one if I send it back (their new units have the option).

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Anybody have any experience with the savemasta VMC? I'm considering one, but I'd like to know more about it. As I recall it saves high scores when unibios is used, which I really want, because plugging in a game just to avoid losing a score is pretty annoying. I also can't really see where to buy it, except in pre-built CMVS units. Installation instructions also seem to be MIA. It's home page seems to be here and the hyphen site, which has a VMC thread on it, seems down this morning. I want it in my Omega anyway, so maybe I should just contact arcadeworks and see if they'll install one if I send it back (their new units have the option).

Talk to the people at Jamma Nation X! I think they can help you! ;-)

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/index.html

Anthony...

• Like 1

Talk to the people at Jamma Nation X! I think they can help you! ;-)

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/index.html

Anthony...

That'd be another option, I think in that specific case the people there consist entirely of Xian Xi. As I recall he helped me out with some questions for my Panic Bomber repair a few months back.

I'd probably still rather send it back home to arcadeworks (since it's from there). Now, I'm still researching what exactly VMC does, too. Neo-geo.com is back up, making that at least slightly easier. I'm wondering how many high scores it can save. I don't care about saving progress, since I tend to play without continues enabled, and I hope I can keep it from harassing me about saving/continuing.

It does seem that my unibios version saves scores to memory card (link) for most games. It also seems that (this) is the thread on the vmc which isn't terribly useful to me.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

That'd be another option, I think in that specific case the people there consist entirely of Xian Xi. As I recall he helped me out with some questions for my Panic Bomber repair a few months back.

I'd probably still rather send it back home to arcadeworks (since it's from there). Now, I'm still researching what exactly VMC does, too. Neo-geo.com is back up, making that at least slightly easier. I'm wondering how many high scores it can save. I don't care about saving progress, since I tend to play without continues enabled, and I hope I can keep it from harassing me about saving/continuing.

It does seem that my unibios version saves scores to memory card (link) for most games. It also seems that (this) is the thread on the vmc which isn't terribly useful to me.

Maybe if you talk to Jeff Kurtz I think he can help you as well! He wanted to fix my Neo-Geo system at one point, but I found someone close by to install a unibios in the system! He could be an option for you as well!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Time to continue again with the Fatal Fury series with "Real Bout Fatal Fury Special".

The game retains the cast of the original Real Bout, with the addition of Tubg Fu Rue, Cheng Sinzan, Laurence Blood and Wolfgang Krauser from Fatal Fury Special, with Krauser serving as the new final boss. Geese Howard, who was killed off in the end of the original Real Bout, appears in this game as a hidden final boss in a special "Nightmare Match" and as an unlockable playable character in the home versions. The game also features hidden "extra" versions of Tung Fu Rue, Billy Kane, Blue Mary, and Andy Bogard, for a total of 23 (24 if counting Geese) characters.

Anthony...

• Like 1

I'm still playing Shock Troopers like a madman--it's become one of my favorites on the system. I'm up over 3 million points, which isn't stellar but it's double what I was getting when I started. Just a little longer and I'll have the controls fully mastered. I like that there are 3 routes, so when I get sick of one, I can just switch it up.

But my desire for gun-shootery extends a bit farther than shock troopers, naturally, and I've just won an auction for Metal Slug X for a reasonable $35 shipped. I've had 1,2&3 for a while, and it'll be nice to have a version of ms2 that doesn't suffer from all of that slowdown.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

I need to get Shock Troopers someday. I remember playing ST2 a lot through MAME, just because of the size of Angel's boobs. :)

2nd squad features the "uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh,

uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh,

uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh"

That game didn't need many more sound effects...but maybe one more would have helped ;)

It's on my to-buy list for someday too. Ebay's had one for $45 shipped for months now and on numerous occasions have I put it in my cart and hovered over the 'checkout' button. Someday, 2nd squad, the 'uh' will be mine.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

2nd squad features the "uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh,

uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh,

uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh"

That game didn't need many more sound effects...but maybe one more would have helped ;)

:lolblue: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :lolblue:

Oh man, that was hilarious!!! +100 for you Reaper!!!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

This afternoon, I'm finishing off the Fatal Fury series with Garou: Mark of the Wolves. This is the final FF game for the Neo-Geo platform and its known to be a favorite among players and collectors to have in there library! Here's more from Wikipedia,

"Ten years after crime lord Geese Howard's death, the city of Southtown has become more peaceful leading it to be known as the Second Southtown (having formerly been corrupted by Geese). A new fighting tournament called "King of Fighters: Maximum Mayhem" starts in the area, and several characters related with the fighters from the previous King of Fighters tournaments participate within it."

Regular characters

Rock Howard – Rock Howard is the son of Geese Howard and protégé of Terry Howard as well as the new lead character of Garou. His fighting style combines techniques of both Terry and Geese, giving him an edge on both offense and defense. He wears a red and white jacket with a white star on the back, similar to Terry's classic vest.

Terry Bogard – The main character from the previous Fatal Fury games and the only returning character in Garou. In Garou, he has a new look: his long blond ponytaill is trimmed, and he has exchanged his trademark red vest, hat, and sneakers for a brown bomber jacket and work boots. Terry has a new Desperation Move, the "Buster Wolf"; however, he can no longer perform his original trademark move, the "Rising Tackle", which now belongs to Rock Howard.

Kevin Rian– Kevin is a high-spirited police officer of Second Southtown. He is also a friend to both Terry and Rock. He fights using Sambo (similar to his distant relative Blue Mary,[1] although much of his fighting style revolves more around direct strikes than grappling. He is cheered on during fights by his friend's son Marky. In Garou, he seeks revenge for the death of his partner, murdered by Freeman.

Bonnie Jenet – Bonne Jenet is a female pirate who is looking for treasure in Second Southtown. Her fighting style involve wind-like projectiles that hit multiple times, and swooping attacks intended to catch opponents with suddenly changing directions.

Kim Dong Hwan– Dong Hwan was taught Taekwondo by his father, Kim Kaphwan, using techniques infused with lightning, and has a friendly rivalry with his younger brother Kim Jae Hoon. He is more of a show-off and slacker than his brother, relying more on aerial attacks and juggles (i.e. attacks that strike the opponent into the air uncontrollably). He believes he is a "genius" in the story, and doesn't need to study diligently in order to master Taekwondo but his father and brother see it differently.

Kim Jae Hoon– Jae Hoon was taught Taekwondo by his father, Kim Kaphwan, using techniques infused with fire, and is a brother of Dong Hwan's. Jae Hoon admires his father, so he fights more like him than Dong Hwan does, with a combination of high and low attacks with plenty of power behind them. Like his father, he has a strong sense of justice and chivalry, but unlike his brother, he establishes his strength through constant practice.

Gato – Gato is a powerful fighter always in search of stronger opponents. He is the older brother of Hotaru Futaba, but hotly denies this. His actual background and motivations aside from these are unknown.

Hotaru– Hotaru is the younger sister of Gato. She searches for her brother. She is generally very polite and charming, and is accompanied by her pet sable, Itokatsu. Her stage is a belfry, where a flock of birds removes her cloak.

Hokutomaru – Hokutomaru is a ninja who trained under Andy Bogard. He is extremely fast and crafty (with many moves that are among the fastest in the game), making him a nearly unpredictable opponent to deal with. His stage is a traffic accident that he caused, as he was unfamiliar with urban ways due to his age and training. Hokutomaru carries a sword on his back, but he seldom draws it except during two special moves.

Khushnood Butt – Butt is a Kyokugen-style karate expert, who trained under Ryo Sakazaki. He is named Marco Rodriguez in Japan, but was renamed in the U.S. version possibly to avoid confusion with mixed martial artist Ricco Rodriguez. He leads a somewhat austere life in a wooded area on the outskirts of town, and fights using powerful, deliberate attacks. Just like Ryo, he has several famous moves from Art of Fighting with some of his own derivatives.

Tizoc – Tizoc is a famous pro wrestler in Second Southtown and is seen as a hero in the eyes of children. Somewhat disillusioned, he enters the tournament in order to rekindle his own interest in fighting. His name in Japanese versions of the game is "The Griffon Mask".

Freeman – Freeman, real name unknown, is a mysterious English serial killer that fights using slashing movements with his hands as if they were claws. Little is known about him, except that he killed the partner of Kevin Rian, and defeated Kim Kaphwan in a fight, prompting Kim's sons to enter the tournament. Many of Freeman's special techniques are references to heavy metal bands, such as Nightmare, Morbid Angel, Overkill, and Vision of Disorder

Bosses

Grant - Grant, real name Abel Cameron, is a master of the dark style known as Ankoku Karate. He is Kain R. Heinlein's closest friend and personal bodyguard.

Kain R Heinlein: Kain is the mysterious host of Southtown's "King of Fighters: Maximum Mayhem" tournament. Being the younger brother of Marie Howard (Geese Howard's deceased wife and thus Rock Howard's mother), he is Rock's uncle.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1