IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

So I've decided that I've outgrown my pro controllers. I really like their size and shape, but the buttons and especially the stick are letting me down. I've been shopping around for Hori Neos on ebay for the last month or so, and fought one up a good bit over $100 before giving up. From what I've heard, once I get one, they could stand some button/stick modding, and in that price range I feel that I should be getting a 'finished' experience.

Neo Geo controllers are very simple inside however. There are no fancy encoder chips or any of that--really they're wired up like an atari 2600 controller with a few more buttons. Common ground and every switch gets its own pin. I had a project *way* back where I wired a neo geo controller port to a gameboy advance and chose the neo for its simplicity. Not to mention button count was the same. Somehow that old site is still online. That was some pretty messy work I did back then, though... This gets me thinking about making myself a neo controller. In a previous life, I sold power tools, so my mental designs all have called for a drill press and router table--things I have no room for in my condo, and would feel silly spending money on. This video was a bit of an inspiration--though some of the woodworking techniques and material choices are highly questionable, it was done with a minimum of tools.

Man, that looks awesome! Thank you for posting it! :thumbsup: Making these controllers are fun to do!

I love how people make their own controllers using wood and using excellent wood finish to give it a beautiful looking shine and touch to make their controllers unique in their own way!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Here is the latest news from Le Cortex, the developers on Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon" on their Facebook account.

"Hello,

Having received all the questions and reactions from the Neo-Geo community through the normal means of communication, we realised that we have not kept our customers up to date as much as expected and that this is damaging our project.

We have therefore decided to change tack and share with you what happens day-to-day in our studio. We are keen to make you a part of the final steps in the conception and industrial production of the CPHD cartridge.

We would also like to remind you that the advantages of this CPHD are double, as we have always hoped: not only to give some background to our mascot NINJA PONEY within a game on a dead console, but also to design an industrial process for the production of NEW cartridges and an SDK for the community. In short, we wanted to revive support, or, at least, to allow the community to benefit from new games without destroying the existing heritage.

Here, then, is a short history of the cartridge since February 2014, the initial launch date for the games cartridge.

-February: Production of the first prototypes starts in Ireland, then the first series in China.
-March-April-May: Testing of received cartridges. The models show both “standard” design problems and “non-standard” problems in the quality of the components. This is the start of a series of exchanges with the manufacturers. Given the difficulty of dealing with engineering problems on the other side of the world and the quality of the cartridges, we decide to relocate production to within Europe.
-June: After contacting various European factories, a facility in Orleans is finally chosen. Manufacturing quality is good and the engineering service allows various difficulties to be thoroughly examined.
-July-August: The first examples for testing are received. CPHD is an excellent benchmark for the stability of the format, with game sessions lasting longer than a “one credit” play on a shmup. Design quality, circuit dilatation, endurance of components, everything passes the tests. Other problems are resolved.
-September: Debugging continues. We want to ensure top quality production, which takes time. We know that we have chosen to make things harder, but we are sure it will be worth it to offer the Neo-Geo community an industrial-quality format for their homebrew projects.

We apologise once again for the delay in delivering the format. We are as impatient as you are to finally deliver your cartridges to you. We know that we are not the most punctual and we are not the most “chatty”. However, we are putting all of our energy and our drive into finishing this project, to be able to guarantee delivery before Christmas 2014.

In this spirit, we are therefore going to try, each week, to keep you up to date with the final stages of production of the CPHD cartridge, both on our website and on Facebook.
In particular by creating a photo album, which should bring you a bit closer to our projects. Let’s go, go, go"

Anthony...

I decided it had been too long since I bought a Neo Geo game, and ordered a Shock Troopers 2nd Squad online. I like the first one more, but when I was shopping last night it was either Shock Troopers 2, or Stakes Winner 2 (buy-it-nows in the price range I was shopping in). The music's very nice in ST2, even if the "Uh" sound effect gets in the way sometimes.

I've been playing Aero Fighters 2 for the last couple days (3 credits here an there), but the short stick on my pro controllers, combined with the heavy 35mm balltop is a terrible combination for that game. Hopefully my 'controller issue' will find a way to solve itself before I decide to do any actual work in terms of building one.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Someone earlier mentioned Game Dude. That might be the place I received my Neo-Geo from in 1990. I am still in the process of finding that receipt. It's there, I just have tons of stuff.

Anyway, here's a question to all the Neo-Geo experts: They come out with a game in 1990 called Magician Lord, which is universally praised as a masterpiece (it was reviewed in EGM in '90 where the reviewer very meanly said something like "the best Neo-Game game there is or ever will be." I think it may have even gotten a perfect 10 by one reviewer. Many even consider it superior to Ghouls & Ghosts. So what's the question?

WHY IN THE HELL WAS THERE NEVER A SEQUEL MADE OR EVEN CONSIDERED? Sorry I shouted, but this has bugged me for 20+ years already. It has always boggled my mind, and I always have thought about what could have been. :( I love SNK, and I love the Neo-Geo. But it was a mistake not coming out with Magician Lord 2.

They wanted to spare us a disappointing sequel, hopefully.

I decided it had been too long since I bought a Neo Geo game, and ordered a Shock Troopers 2nd Squad online. I like the first one more, but when I was shopping last night it was either Shock Troopers 2, or Stakes Winner 2 (buy-it-nows in the price range I was shopping in). The music's very nice in ST2, even if the "Uh" sound effect gets in the way sometimes.

I've been playing Aero Fighters 2 for the last couple days (3 credits here an there), but the short stick on my pro controllers, combined with the heavy 35mm balltop is a terrible combination for that game. Hopefully my 'controller issue' will find a way to solve itself before I decide to do any actual work in terms of building one.

I agree, the music in the game is worth buy the game ST2 alone! I was meaning to play Stakes Winner 2 again on the MVS as well! I like the first one and was recently playing it again after a few years absent on the game!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Here is some of the new new boards + SD cards for Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon! more available on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.657161514398422.1073741826.326770727437504&type=1

Amthony...

10455288_657161681065072_436438405448615
1780702_657162097731697_5625918057635120
10686843_657163347731572_124973277484078
10653854_657192711061969_464984192695087
Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Some gentleman from Italy is making a early homebrew for the Neo-Geo called "Neo Thunder X" the video was done a few days ago and its a very early demo of it! Wish the developer luck and hope it turns out to something great!

"Neo Thunder X: Demo 01 (Neo Geo homebrew from Italy)"

Anthony...

NGDSGA (NEOGEO CD SINGLE GAME ARCADE) Work In Progress

Hi All from Italy, this is my little project for NeoGeoCD/AES/MVS (WIP). Enjoy!

27_NGDSGA%20(NEOGEO%20CD%20SINGLE%20GAME

Download NEOGEO CD ISO HERE: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/553098/NGPhoenix-008-nrg.html (WIP)

BLOG DEV: http://www.iocero.com/eventdetail.aspx?idEvent=27312

Ciao!

BEY

www.IoCero.com

• Like 4

Holy cow, nice to see an NGCD homebrew iso--that's something that doesn't happen every day.

---------------------------------

Changing the subject slightly, I know I've been complaining about my pro controllers, and also at times the prices on Hori neos, etc. I may have gone a little overboard today when I bought a Neo Geo Mas Stick. It just bugged me that Hori Neos were twice(ish) as much and lacked proper arcade components without upgrade. I tend not to like my genesis MAS stick for its massive size, and I expect this one to be about the same, but maybe I can use this as a nice base to test out different sticks and buttons. Figure out what I'm all about. I hear the koreans are bringing the bat stick back into fashion, and I'm always down for some clicky buttons.

Holy cow, nice to see an NGCD homebrew iso--that's something that doesn't happen every day.

---------------------------------

Changing the subject slightly, I know I've been complaining about my pro controllers, and also at times the prices on Hori neos, etc. I may have gone a little overboard today when I bought a Neo Geo Mas Stick. It just bugged me that Hori Neos were twice(ish) as much and lacked proper arcade components without upgrade. I tend not to like my genesis MAS stick for its massive size, and I expect this one to be about the same, but maybe I can use this as a nice base to test out different sticks and buttons. Figure out what I'm all about. I hear the koreans are bringing the bat stick back into fashion, and I'm always down for some clicky buttons.

I hope this project work! I would love to play a new NGCD game!

I always wanted to get a MAS stick for the AES1 But every time I see one available, another one pops up that play and looks even better!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Tonight, I'm playing "Money Idol Exchanger" for the MVS! The game is also called Money Puzzle Exchanger in English versions and its a great puzzle game to play! It was developed by a Japanese gaming developer called "Face" and its similar to games like Bust-a-move. and Magical Drop! The graphics, sould, and gamplay are excellent and a all around game to enjoy!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Today, I'm playing World Heroes for the Neo-Geo AES! The first of the series and its a true cult classic and an alternative from Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, The Fatal Fury series, etc!

Although, its not the best in the series, ADK did try to show its abilities on making a fighting game that can stand on its own! The series continued on and so did its loyal fans!

Anthony...

So the MAS stick came today. The buttons are quite stiff, and I'm not sure I like optical joysticks as much as clicky ones, but it's clearly a big improvement over my 'pro' controllers for many game types. (it tires me out in shooters, but I'm working on that) Here it is compared to my old genesis MAS stick, and in the spoiler below that, there are some internal shots.

wUBkuD.jpg

gHeKIi.jpg
Osmjen.jpg
yS2nv8.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I found a good video of a Neo-Geo owner who is showing how to refurbish an AES controller! He goes from washing the shell, to fixing the boards from the inside! Pretty neat video for those that want to restore their own Neo-Geo controllers but need visual guidance to do so!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

So the MAS stick came today. The buttons are quite stiff, and I'm not sure I like optical joysticks as much as clicky ones, but it's clearly a big improvement over my 'pro' controllers for many game types. (it tires me out in shooters, but I'm working on that) Here it is compared to my old genesis MAS stick, and in the spoiler below that, there are some internal shots.

Hey that looks nice! Thank you for posting it!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Continuing today with World Heroes 2 Jet for the AES! This is the game that made me interested on the series in the first place (just like many others)! I first saw it on the Game Boy. After seeing it on an MVS machine, I was hooked and had to add it to my collection in the future!

I personally feel its the best in the series! An improvement from WH2 and with better A.I., music, enhanced artwork, funnier jokes/one liners, control, gameplay, and better sub-bosses and boss! Still a fun fighting game to play and enjoyable alternative from SFII, MK, and FF series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEneXhc7zY

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

I found another video for those that have or for future reference on fixing a NGCD controller. This piece was later refurbished and was used to help play on his CMVS ubit! Another great visual repair guide for the "do-it-yourself repair player".

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Tonight, I'm playing "World Heroes Perfect" for the AES! This is the final game in the series and an impressive one to say the lease! Some didn't realize that this title existed due to a quite release and until years later it was shown on the World Heroes ports to modern systems afterwards! The background graphics have improved greatly with better depth, while the music was intense and more towards the fighting! The controls were smother and replay value is equal to WH2JET! Well worth playing this game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTuly2NJtEs

Anthony...

So, I've been playing KoF '98, because that MAS stick's buttons are better suited to fighters than shooters. (I have IL-branded replacements on order) Largely because of the time I spent playing KoF 98 on Dreamcast, and KoF 99 on NGCD, those are my favorites in the series, and I generally thought I could go back and forth between which one is my favorite. But maybe not.

Today, I happened to notice that my Kof 98 is lower on voices than I think I remember. During intro poses, many characters seem mute.

I actually haven't played much MVS KOF 98, is this the case? Are there many intros that I remember being voiced in 99 that are mute in 98? I even think robert garcia's lips move, but nothing comes out. The first thing I assumed was that I had a defective/bootleg game, but the boards check out, and they CRC fine in unibios. Solder joints look good on the v-roms (which I think is where sound comes from).

Am I mis-remembering KOF 98's voice track? Maybe mixing it up with the DC version, or KOF 99? Or does, for example mai, really not say anything in her standard intros or victory poses? Maybe It's a quirk with the MV-1C in the omega and I should try it on another MVS.

If this is really how KoF 98 plays, I think I've started leaning heavily toward 99.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

So, I've been playing KoF '98, because that MAS stick's buttons are better suited to fighters than shooters. (I have IL-branded replacements on order) Largely because of the time I spent playing KoF 98 on Dreamcast, and KoF 99 on NGCD, those are my favorites in the series, and I generally thought I could go back and forth between which one is my favorite. But maybe not.

Today, I happened to notice that my Kof 98 is lower on voices than I think I remember. During intro poses, many characters seem mute.

I actually haven't played much MVS KOF 98, is this the case? Are there many intros that I remember being voiced in 99 that are mute in 98? I even think robert garcia's lips move, but nothing comes out. The first thing I assumed was that I had a defective/bootleg game, but the boards check out, and they CRC fine in unibios. Solder joints look good on the v-roms (which I think is where sound comes from).

Am I mis-remembering KOF 98's voice track? Maybe mixing it up with the DC version, or KOF 99? Or does, for example mai, really not say anything in her standard intros or victory poses? Maybe It's a quirk with the MV-1C in the omega and I should try it on another MVS.

If this is really how KoF 98 plays, I think I've started leaning heavily toward 99.

I would love to see your playing skills on that MAS stick. ;-) The more I see that picture of yours of it, the more I want one! :D

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Tonight I was looking up some videos to help the members that have a Neo-Geo unit that they would like to repair themselves and would help give a visual understanding on how to fix their systems without going to an outside source to spent a large sum of money to have their console working again!

Tonight, I have a few Neo-Geo CD videos that can help some members see on how they can repair some units regarding their issues.. Enjoy!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224