IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Brooke PS3/PS4 to Neo Geo adaptor came in today. If any of you are having trouble with the button mapping, help me out. I noticed on the website that they had a misprint on the instructions so I followed both the instructions and the corrected instructions from the site and still can't seem to button map. I'm using my PS3 OG madcatz TE because I was too lazy to dig out the VLX. I also messaged Brooke to see if I can get a response.

• Like 1

Brooke PS3/PS4 to Neo Geo adaptor came in today. If any of you are having trouble with the button mapping, help me out. I noticed on the website that they had a misprint on the instructions so I followed both the instructions and the corrected instructions from the site and still can't seem to button map. I'm using my PS3 OG madcatz TE because I was too lazy to dig out the VLX. I also messaged Brooke to see if I can get a response.

Good to know benjie,

Brooke should get back to you soon. They always message me promptly regarding concerns. :)

Anthony...

I could really go for that Super Spy game as it looks like loads of fun much like Crossed Swords 2. Truth be told if I had the money to throw around or some insanely dumb luck to do it, if I could rack up about 3 shooters, Super Dodgeball, Bomberman and a few others off the 161in1 I have I'd sell the dumb thing. I'd rather go by the less is more design as I'd value the games more and use them more if that makes any sense.

Hi guys,

This day in 1994, Art of Fighting - Genesis version released. #sega #genesis #oldschool #retro #retrogaming #fun

C2Fueg3XgAIAZ_h.jpg
0 replies1 retweet6 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

This day in 1994, Art of Fighting - Genesis version released. #sega #genesis #oldschool #retro #retrogaming #fun

C2Fueg3XgAIAZ_h.jpg
0 replies1 retweet6 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony..

Heh.. I remember discovering a Game Genie code for it. It made the enemies freeze in mid-air when I threw them. I could beat up on their feet as they floated and they wouldn't fight back. VERY easy!

• Like 1

Heh.. I remember discovering a Game Genie code for it. It made the enemies freeze in mid-air when I threw them. I could beat up on their feet as they floated and they wouldn't fight back. VERY easy!

Hey Russ,

That's right.. In your postings during the earlier days for this thread, you mention it and we were amazed that you posed this information and were glad you did. :)

When I posted that picture for the Genesis, I was thinking on what you said about the Game Genie code for this game! :)

Thank you as always Russ. Keep up the great work you always do. :thumbsup:

Anthony...

Hi guys,

More from Pitfall Harry.

1. #NeoGeo Pocket Color and Five Games New Batteries #retrogaming #ebay http://www.retrodeals.net/tumqgOwzdM

C29suvAWEAA3Jy6.jpg
    0 replies1 retweet1 like
    Retweet
    Liked
  2. SNK Playmore/#NeoGeo X Gold Limited Edition Black Console #retrogaming #ebay http://www.retrodeals.net/jeTUnsDACE

C29TjbsXEAAbBMX.jpg
    0 replies0 retweets1 like
    Retweet
    Liked
  3. Robo Army/#NeoGeo AES Dog Tag Version COMPLETE AND TESTED! #retrogaming #ebay http://www.retrodeals.net/sBpKajdPIV

C26J2XDWEAEiKes.jpg
    0 replies0 retweets1 like
    Retweet
    Liked
  4. C254SJ8WgAE5LNB.jpg
    0 replies1 retweet1 like
    Retweet
    Liked

Anthony..

Hi guys,

わしがアケアカNEOGEOで一番出して欲しいゲーム。

Translated from Japanese by BingWrong translation?

I gave the most in ACEA CA NEOGEO games.

C2KwB0UUQAAJJRO.jpg
0 replies0 retweets2 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony..

Hi guys,

PS3版持ってるし、アケアカNEOGEO版どうしよう?と思い吟味してたけど、やっぱりメガドラ版『餓狼伝説』はオリジナル要素が面白いな!これでいいや!!

Translated from Japanese by BingWrong translation?

I have a PS3 and ACEA CA NEOGEO version do? I was vetted, but still megadora Edition "Fury" original element is a funny! And this is good!

C2Is180UUAEW6F1.jpg
C2Is8AuUUAE_v6z.jpg
C2Is-niUQAAolVD.jpg
C2ItABSUsAEI5wY.jpg
2 replies7 retweets15 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Hi guys,

This was from the New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-unexpectedly-high-stakes-world-of-neo-geo-collecting

THE UNEXPECTEDLY HIGH-STAKES WORLD OF NEO GEO COLLECTING

By Simon Parkin 02:00 P.M.
Parkin-TheUnexpectedlyHigh-StakesWorldof

Seven years ago, Shawn McCleskey, a dealer of rare video games, trading cards, and vintage machine guns in Memphis, Tennessee, made one of the biggest sales of his career. It unfolded like a Robert Ludlum novel. A man calling himself Wolf wired McCleskey fifty-five thousand dollars, then showed up a few days later at Memphis International Airport carrying a metallic briefcase. The two men met in the crowded arrivals hall and, after a brief stop at a local Chinese restaurant, proceeded to McCleskey’s house, where Wolf inspected the merchandise—a pair of video games released in 1996 for the Neo Geo, a Japanese-made console. Satisfied with each game’s condition and authenticity, Wolf opened his briefcase, which had been specially designed to house the foot-long cartridges, and locked them inside. “It was as if the deal was for a bag of diamonds,” McCleskey told me recently. As a condition of the sale, he agreed to keep Wolf’s identity private.

Most video games, like most of everything else, depreciate in monetary value the longer they’re in the world. But the Neo Geo has proved an exception, probably because its games possess the collector’s trifecta: quality, rarity, and expense. Launched in 1991 at a shelf price of six hundred and fifty dollars—more than eleven hundred dollars in today’s money—the console was a kind of generous afterthought on the part of its Osaka-based manufacturer, SNK, whose primary focus was its thriving arcade business. Unlike rival consoles of the time, which presented watered-down versions of contemporary arcade hits, the Neo Geo was true to its origins, right down to its circuitry. The chunky cartridges came in fat plastic cases and cost an average of two hundred and fifty dollars. As a result, the market was limited, and many of the games were produced in small numbers—perhaps as few as a hundred. (The launch of the final official title, Samurai Spirits Zero, took place in 2003, though third-party developers continue to release new games for the system today.)

When McCleskey was nineteen, he inherited a few hundred thousand dollars from his father. He invested half of the money in the stock market and spent the rest on Neo Geo cartridges and Magic: The Gathering cards. “At the time, I was living in my mom’s basement,” he said. “My friends and family saw me pouring my inheritance into video games. They saw it as no better than buying magic beans.” In recent years, his stock portfolio has dwindled, but Neo-Geo.com, the Web site and online store he runs, has become steadily more profitable. Last spring, McCleskey sold three cartridges to a buyer in South Korea for forty-five thousand dollars. “The Neo Geo attracts collectors because, compared with coins, stamps, and comics, you can go years and not find what you’re looking for,” he said.

The majority of the Neo Geo game library is freely (if unofficially) available to play online, and SNK has ported many of the best-known and most expensive titles to modern consoles, offering them for a fraction of their original price. This new ubiquity, however, has had no apparent effect on the collectors’ market. Digital distribution has freed video games from their physical hosts, just as it did with music, films, and books, but the craving for tangibility remains. “There is obviously something special about playing those games on the original systems,” Yasuyuki Oda, a veteran game designer at SNK, told me. “And they look great when they’re lined up on a bookshelf.” Still, despite a vibrant collecting scene, no more than five people in the world own a full collection. One of them, Mahesak Puttirungsriwong, a forty-year-old mathematics tutor from Thailand, estimates that he has spent around two hundred thousand dollars on Neo Geo games in the past twenty-six years. “I don’t know the exact figure,” he told me. “Because of my wife, it is better to forget.” Puttirungsriwong completed his collection last April with a European copy of Kizuna Encounter, a fighting game, which he bought from a friend in Italy for thirty thousand euros. (There are fewer than ten cartridges in existence.) “People who grew up hearing about the Neo Geo are now grown up and earning enough to chase their childhood dream,” Puttirungsriwong said. “They are willing to pay for it. The demand is increasing, and the prices with it.”

Inevitably, the disparity between demand and supply has lured counterfeiters. The first widespread Neo Geo fakes surfaced in the mid-two-thousands. Bootleggers would buy the cheaper arcade version of a game, pry the chips from the circuit board, and affix them to a blank Neo Geo cartridge. High-quality reproductions of the paper inserts and instruction booklets were then used to deceive unwitting buyers. In recent years, counterfeit Neo Geo games have become so widespread, and the fidelity so high, that one collector, a graphic designer from Palm Beach County, Florida, who goes by the name 8man—he requested anonymity, saying that he didn’t “need anyone stopping by, if you know what I mean”—has begun offering authentication services to other buyers. So far, he has inspected more than fifty cartridges, and has found many to be complete or partial fakes. “The bootleggers have ruined it all,” he told me. “I guess that’s what happens when a million subscribers of some retro YouTube channel run to eBay to buy that gem they just saw in a video.”

As collectors have become savvier about counterfeits, the bootleggers, the majority of whom are based in France and Germany, have become more up-front about their wares. Demand for rare titles is such that many players will knowingly spend hundreds of dollars on a fake grail, just to plug a gap in their collection. Today, most bootleggers don’t bother to use original chips. They simply use modern off-the-shelf parts, onto which the game’s files are loaded. “The experience is identical,” one French bootlegger told me. When I spoke with Puttirungsriwong, he seemed sympathetic to the completist impulse, but Oda was mortified. “I do hate the people making these pirate versions,” he said.

Whenever a rare game becomes available, hundreds of posts appear on McCleskey’s forum. “I’ve seen relatively new collectors enter the market to hoard multiples of the big rares,” McCleskey said. “That’s classic speculative investor behavior, and contributes to this seemingly never-ending appreciation.” Some, however, view the endeavor with the skeptical, skewering eye of the self-aware hoarder. “This is not the stock market,” one Neo-Geo.com user wrote in a recent thread. “It’s plastic clutter lowlife and we’re all casualties of nostalgia.”

Anthony

Edited by fdurso224

I'm part of that forum and I've never been around a more rough and abrasive group. Given the value behind the better half or more of the library MVS for sure and most of the AES I would not say it's not well deserved abrasiveness either. With the amount of copies out there, some(many?) have accepted it and they're kind of over the stupid scalper mentality of people along with the doofuses into it like trading stocks and commodities. I'm in that thread, could have easily been me quoted with the stock part and I thought I was until I did a Ctrl+F (find) on it. These days stuff is getting like with the Nintendo overly hot mess out there where every piece is parted out. Box, bubble bag even, the art assets (2 for MVS), the dipswitch front/back paper (MVS), and the mini marquees too. Now people are reproducing them and for around $10 shipped on the little marquees which isn't bad as many are around that value but can jump up 10-30+ more depending on which. There's one particular guy who does make copies and they're so close to original it's crazy, and if you don't inspect it super well you wouldn't notice it and very unlikely if it was in a machine behind the plexiglass in its holder.

• Like 1

I'm part of that forum and I've never been around a more rough and abrasive group. Given the value behind the better half or more of the library MVS for sure and most of the AES I would not say it's not well deserved abrasiveness either. With the amount of copies out there, some(many?) have accepted it and they're kind of over the stupid scalper mentality of people along with the doofuses into it like trading stocks and commodities. I'm in that thread, could have easily been me quoted with the stock part and I thought I was until I did a Ctrl+F (find) on it. These days stuff is getting like with the Nintendo overly hot mess out there where every piece is parted out. Box, bubble bag even, the art assets (2 for MVS), the dipswitch front/back paper (MVS), and the mini marquees too. Now people are reproducing them and for around $10 shipped on the little marquees which isn't bad as many are around that value but can jump up 10-30+ more depending on which. There's one particular guy who does make copies and they're so close to original it's crazy, and if you don't inspect it super well you wouldn't notice it and very unlikely if it was in a machine behind the plexiglass in its holder.

Our you the person who is also named tanooki on neogeo.com?