IGNORED

Which 5200 and where from?

F4LL3N

Hey all,

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while - Uni took over my life! So after picking up Retro Gamers 40th Anniversary Atari Edition its re-ignited my ploy to obtain a 5200...

Of course there are a few issues, like the fact I am in England and they never released a PAL version. I also am unsure whether I should be aiming for the 2 or 4 port model. I know its a fickle console with a variety of problems upon its release, but I'd love to add one to my current Atari Collection!

AtariAge also got a mention in the book too =D. Will be looking to pick up some homebrews for my 2600 and Jaguar off here soon too :).

Cheers all, hope we are all well ;)

2 port is the "easier" one, since it doesn't use the special switch box. But I have one of each, 2 port and 4 port, and have had no problems with the switch box on the 4 port.

Contrary to common Internet talk, the 4 port switch box won't burn down your house.

Otherwise, the only problem I'm aware of with it are the controllers. Finding them non-working is common; they can be repaired/rebuilt, or you can pursue an alternative.

Edited by Brian R.
  • Like 1

2 or 4 port both work fine. The switch box is not that bad. However, you will get RF interference like rolling lines from both versions of the system. The best thing anyone can do is get the AV mod... even if your using an old CRT, the picture will be primo. If you have a CRT with no AV inputs, get a RF Modulator from Radio Shack... it has the s video input too. :)

The controllers are the only things you will undoubtedly have problems with so, get some rebuilt gold contact ones from Best Electronics, a good digital stick, and the Trak Ball.

I don't think you can say someone "will" get RF interference on either system. I have one of each and I get no interference (I use them on a CRT).

I haven't used my four port in a while, but I know for a fact my 2 port gets absolutely no RF interference, rolling lines, static, anything.

An AV mod is -not- required to get a good picture from a 5200.

Get an Atari 7800...

That's also on my list - but I think that is an easier machine to acquire :)

I don't think you can say someone "will" get RF interference on either system. I have one of each and I get no interference (I use them on a CRT).

I haven't used my four port in a while, but I know for a fact my 2 port gets absolutely no RF interference, rolling lines, static, anything.

An AV mod is -not- required to get a good picture from a 5200.

How will the video fair on a PAL TV? I will have to buy one from the US as we don't see many over here (obviously as there wasn't a PAL release). Also, an AV mod would just be convenient to me rather than absolutely necessary. Can put it through either an LCD or CRT, but I think they look better on CRT's anyway.

If you are brave there is a color adjustment inside the 5200 you might have to adjust to obtain the proper color for PAL TV's. The control can be located next to the power switch and power LED. Other than that the 5200 is a very able system of bringing the arcade-hits home. It's only known true competition was the ColecoVision (honestly, they are both good consoles). I've had a 4-port since Christmas 1982 and it still works. Everything is original on it and the only thing I've had to do is clean up the controllers. I'm down to one controller now and even it is coming close to needing a rebuild with new parts. 30 years, however, is saying a lot for a console that was suppose to have issues. I've had no issues with the RF switchbox or any signal interference other than when my laptop is sitting too close to my 5200 during video recordings. Then again that is to be expected. Other than that my 5200's video signal is great.

I personally prefer the 4-port over the 2-port mainly because the 4-port is all I've ever owned. If you plan on getting the VCS Adapter you will want the 2-port but I personally don't see the reason when a real 2600 can usually be found for a little less money if you know where to look. The 4-port, however, doesn't have issues playing some games that some 2-port models can't play. The only two games that I know of that make full use of the four ports are Super Breakout and Castle Crisis. I have no clue if Robotron or Space Dungeon are two player games and require the use of all four-ports or not as I have never owned those games. I hope to remedy that soon.

Good luck with your addition of a 5200! It will really amaze and entertain you when it's given an honest chance.

As for where to get a 5200 I've been burned by eBay sellers selling dead units and including the power supply for an Atari 800. It might not be that way now but I definitely learned my lesson. If cost is not an issue I recommend a reconditioned unit from video 61. Otherwise you might try 4Jays.net or stick with a trusted eBay seller. Make sure you get at least one controller. Those are hard to find in the wild so the more controllers you can find the better.

As for where to get a 5200 I've been burned by eBay sellers selling dead units and including the power supply for an Atari 800. It might not be that way now but I definitely learned my lesson. If cost is not an issue I recommend a reconditioned unit from video 61. Otherwise you might try 4Jays.net or stick with a trusted eBay seller. Make sure you get at least one controller. Those are hard to find in the wild so the more controllers you can find the better.

Thanks for the tips, sorry for the late reply i have been in hospital...

Can I get deliveries to the UK from the places you have mentioned?

I'm not sure about 4Jays. Their website lists their email address as

Email:

forjays@pacbell.net

You might want to contact them and ask them. Video 61 use to ship to other countries but I don't know if that has changed or not. I only mentioned him because I trust the quality he puts into his products. However a 5200 from him, the last time I looked, was around $150 USD not including shipping. There is one other website that has 5200 stuff but I am not sure if they still have 5200 consoles or not. Collector's Cards and Games is where I got most of my 5200 games from. All of them were in their boxes if you prefer your games to be complete, most were new. The only thing I can't give him credit for is in quality. The two consoles I have ordered from him required some heavy duty cleaning as they were caked with dust from years past. You might contact them to see if they have one and, yes, Collector's sends packages overseas. He does take a while to complete orders so I highly recommend contacting him first.

www.collectorscardsandgames.com

Sorry to hear you've been in the hospital. Too bad they don't have Atari's to help the visit go by faster ;) Hope all is well now.

Here is a link to Video 61's 5200 page. Scroll all the way down to view the hardware Lance has. It is a high price but with a new mainboard and 2 rebuilt joysticks it is worth the $150 price tag in my opinion. He might be able to help you out with the NTSC and PAL differences to make sure the 5200 will work in your location.

http://members.tcq.net/video61/5200new.html

Here is a link to Video 61's 5200 page. Scroll all the way down to view the hardware Lance has. It is a high price but with a new mainboard and 2 rebuilt joysticks it is worth the $150 price tag in my opinion. He might be able to help you out with the NTSC and PAL differences to make sure the 5200 will work in your location.

http://members.tcq.net/video61/5200new.html

That's great, thanks mate. And yeah, hospital was just to have minor surgery. I'm OK just feeling the pain afterwards!

Once you've experienced a 5200 in S-video you'll wonder why you ever bothered with RF.

Exactly, and S- Video even looks better downgraded through an RF Modulator for CRT's that don't have the AV jacks. I'm strongly considering an AV modded 7800 from Best Electronics.

Exactly, and S- Video even looks better downgraded through an RF Modulator for CRT's that don't have the AV jacks. I'm strongly considering an AV modded 7800 from Best Electronics.

I can only get S-Video on a SCART that supports S-Video through my Flat TV. The S-Video connection on my CRT doesn't work :(

I can only get S-Video on a SCART that supports S-Video through my Flat TV. The S-Video connection on my CRT doesn't work :(

I mean if you have an old CRT with just the coax input, and use an RF modulator with an s video input... the picture on a modded console STILL looks better then the stock composite output. In other words, modded is just better no matter what the purists say. ;)

Incognito board? LOL, that's an upgrade board for the 800 which has nothing to do with video; you're thinking of the VBXE board which outputs analog RGB and not digital video.

Oh noes, I committed a mortal online sin by confusing A8 upgrades! I'll be banished to the Spice Mines of Kessel where they only use Commodores and Spectrums!