IGNORED

Bought a 5200 - games and controllers?

Sir Guntz

So I will soon have a 5200 console, two port model I think. It comes with a 2600 adapter, a few games, two controllers and of course some 2600 stuff.

Do you guys have any game suggestions? The ones I'll start with are Super Breakout, Defender, Popeye, Pole Position, Galaxian and Soccer. I'd like to get Gremlins and Montezuma's Revenge.

And about those controllers. I know the contacts corrode and they stop working. Where do you guys get gold contact pads? Or is there some fix for the old contacts?

Feel free to add any other relevant thoughts and information here.

I would highly recommend a set of refurbished CX52 joysticks from Best Electronics. I own a four-port 5200 with a complete set of Best's joysticks, and they've been very good controllers. You might look into a 5200 Trak-Ball while you're at it; for games like Missile Command and Tempest, there's no better controller.

I would also recommend a 5200 Ultimate SD cartridge from AtariMax. Lots of Atari 800 conversions have been added to the 5200 library lately, and the Ultimate SD is the best way to play them on real hardware, and it takes up a lot less space than the stack of original cartridges it replaces.

• Like 4

In addition to seconding what jaybird3rd said, I'd also recommend hunting down a trackball controller. It's also worth tracking down a controller holder for Space Dungeon.

As for games you need to try, I'll recommend: Tempest, Star Raiders, Qix, Centipede, Missile Command, Countermeasure, Rescue on Fractalus, Adventure II, Millipede, Jr Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Koffi Yellow Copter.

• Like 1

Is an Atarimax SD for $130 actually worth it? That's more than what I've paid for my initial 5200 stuff so far (it was $100 shipped but was a good deal, the 2600 adapter is $50 alone). Are all the worthwhile carts that aren't rare valued higher than $130? I just need loose carts. I have 50 different 2600 cartridges and it's nice having individual carts instead of a flash cart. Takes too much effort to get more games so I enjoy what I have more.

What is the trak-ball controller worth? Does it work with more than just Super Breakout and Missile Command?

How about some thoughts on the updated 2600 titles you can get for 5200? I'd love to try the Activision titles like Pitfall and Keystone Kapers. Lots of 5200 titles never made it to the 7800, that was a big draw for me. The 2600 versions of stuff like Kaboom and River Raid are iconic now, nobody ever talks about the 5200 versions. How are they?

Is an Atarimax SD for $130 actually worth it? That's more than what I've paid for my initial 5200 stuff so far (it was $100 shipped but was a good deal, the 2600 adapter is $50 alone). Are all the worthwhile carts that aren't rare valued higher than $130? I just need loose carts. I have 50 different 2600 cartridges and it's nice having individual carts instead of a flash cart. Takes too much effort to get more games so I enjoy what I have more.

What is the trak-ball controller worth? Does it work with more than just Super Breakout and Missile Command?

How about some thoughts on the updated 2600 titles you can get for 5200? I'd love to try the Activision titles like Pitfall and Keystone Kapers. Lots of 5200 titles never made it to the 7800, that was a big draw for me. The 2600 versions of stuff like Kaboom and River Raid are iconic now, nobody ever talks about the 5200 versions. How are they?

The Atarimax SD makes more sense on the 5200 to me than probably any other flashcart. I really like my 5200, but I'm just not interested in collecting (another) copy of River Raid for it, so the flashcart makes sense. If you want to play Montezuma's Revenge you are gonna need it. It'll save you money in the end, and you can play the 8-bit conversions which has probably been the most interesting thing about the 5200 for me. It kinda opened up a whole new world of games that I missed as a kid.

If you can back out of the 2600 adapter purchase you should. That's too high. IMO, the quality of the video out is not very good from the adapter and it isn't exactly the most convenient thing to set up and leave out. I think you'll end up playing an actual VCS more (which you can get for less than $50). Get your $50 back and spend it on the flashcart.

As for the Activision games on both systems, some are almost identical. Pitfall is one that I think may have almost no variation from the 2600. Keystone Kapers I believe has more colors and detail, but the gameplay is unchanged. Kaboom has some additional 2 player options and a song that many consider annoying. River Raid has some improvements that are similar to the c64 version if you ever played that - its a good update. Pitfall II is one that is sought after because it has some additional hidden areas found only on the 5200 (and 8 bits maybe). Hero has some visual improvements which are pretty nice. Since all those games were designed with digital controls in mind (except Kaboom), you need to adjust to using the 5200's analog stick which some find challenging.

Search around for info about the controllers. You are about to become an expert on the differences between analog and digital controllers whether you know it or not . . .

• Like 1

I'd have to think over an Atarimax SD, whether there's non-cart games I'd want. $130 is a lot. I might end up being satisfied with the base library and a couple homebrew titles. For $130 I could get a Mega Everdrive and have access to more games overall (Genesis + SMS + 32X).

I didn't say I got a 2600 adapter for $50, I mean it tends to sell for that much and it was very cheap in this system bundle I bought. Even if it's not particularly great, I'd at least like to try it out. Maybe it'd make a good standalone 2600 system, just add power and AV jacks.

How are the Atari ports? Are they more improved than the Activision titles?

Edited by Sir Guntz

In general yes. They are completely new games every time. Pac Man and Ms Pac Man are very good even compared to later console versions. I personally think that the 5200 version of Defender is the best console port ever. Other games like Moon Patrol and Missile Command got completely re-done for the 5200 and they are excellent. I really enjoy playing Super Breakout on the 5200, but many will argue with me on that (controls).

• Like 1

Sounds like I'll get my money's worth out of the 5200 then. How convenient that 5200 Pac-Man was also common, but far better. I know the 5200 is significantly more advanced than the 2600, thus feeling more like a usual console of that time than a dinosaur (though the dinosaur is still fun). But like a previous thread said, the 5200 almost has a luxury feel to it. It has updated versions of 2600 titles, often at times they're never talked about. It ought to be a fun extension of my already fun 2600 collection.

if you take it careful you can probably fix the controller without new parts if you can carefully remove the start pause reset bezel and clean the contacts on the flex circuit with some high grit paper like 600-1000 grit and do little skids on some paper the rubber/carbon dots you should be able to start a game

i suggest starting with robotron since it can start with a fire button press and be played with 2 sticks (the directions almost never go bad)

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I never mentioned this, but I got the previously mentioned 5200 lot on eBay. The box was a classic eBay package, nearly zero padding, stuff is probably broken inside. Thanks Pitney Bowes.

DSC07891.jpg

DSC07892.jpg

DSC07893.jpg

It shouldn't really be a surprise from a recycling company, but everything inside that box was filthy. So dirty, alcohol was not enough. I had to get a bucket of soap and water. I kid you not. They all cleaned up nicely but, good grief, where was this thing stored? In someone's backyard?

Here's a pic of it all cleaned up.

DSC07894.jpg

As I began testing everything, I found that the 5200 console, 2600 adapter and 5200 games all work. That's, well, not exactly a surprise with cartridges. But you know what WAS a surprise? They 5200 controllers work. THEY WORK. I haven't found any games that use all the keypad buttons, but the fire buttons and start/pause/reset buttons on both controllers work fine. Who would have thought the pile of almagordo-style 5200 stuff would have working controllers?

I'm also waiting for a package of a few more 5200 carts. I have my eyes on Montezuma's Revenge, really want that one.

I've always felt the 5200 was a vastly underrated System. Almost all games released are really good. My 5200 probably gets the most play time of all my consoles right now.

I got lucky when i got my Montezuma revenge. I paid $3 for it!

• Like 1

I'd have to think over an Atarimax SD, whether there's non-cart games I'd want. $130 is a lot. I might end up being satisfied with the base library and a couple homebrew titles. For $130 I could get a Mega Everdrive and have access to more games overall (Genesis + SMS + 32X).

I didn't say I got a 2600 adapter for $50, I mean it tends to sell for that much and it was very cheap in this system bundle I bought. Even if it's not particularly great, I'd at least like to try it out. Maybe it'd make a good standalone 2600 system, just add power and AV jacks.

The SD Cart is a little expensive, but it's worth it. You can get every game rom on line and load them onto it... and play EVERY game. :) You can also play homebrews and 64K games that members on here make available.

• Like 1

I'm not looking to play every game though. Just the games of the official library I'd like (the two big ones being Montezuma and Gremlins) and a few A8 conversions like the Donkey Kongs. Maybe a few prototypes but I'd have to see first if I'd like them. I don't need 200+ games. Even just 20 really great games would be plenty for me.

To each their own, but be prepared to put some money into it anyway. It's only a matter of time until the controllers start getting flaky. The 5200 is a high maintenance system to own.

Another reason to get the AtariMax SD is because Activision cartridges often won't work today. I have 3 RiverRaid carts and none work on my 5200 yet all of my Atari and Parker Bros carts work.

Interesting packaging. I bought a bunch of carts from Free Geek in Portland and their packaging was great.

The TrakBall can ever be used on Pole Position...

And according to Dan Kramer, the 2600 adapter was known internally at Atari Inc as the "Piggyback Parasite".

Edited by Lynxpro

I had a Pole Position cart that used to freeze up and get all glitchy, but the board showed signs of what looked like moisture damage. Maybe the Activision carts are EVEN MORE susceptible to long term moisture and humidity. Just an idea.

The metal in the Activision pins aren't the greatest.

And people have made the 2600 adapters into stand-alone 2600s before.

I never knew that Activision carts flaked out easier. However it now makes sense why when I got my first 5200 new for christmas we returned River Raid a few days later. Sometimes it worked but mostly didn't.

I never knew that Activision carts flaked out easier. However it now makes sense why when I got my first 5200 new for christmas we returned River Raid a few days later. Sometimes it worked but mostly didn't.

Hmm. I don't know about the reliability of Activision 5200 carts back in the day but they are flakey 30 years on. I have 3 River Raids that won't work after alcohol treatment although I admit I haven't used an eraser on them yet. My Pitfall copy works though.

Compare that to their 2600 carts that do work! Only the 2600 carts suffer from "Actiplaque" on their labels!