IGNORED

ikari 7800

bloodrusher123

I very much want to get this game. But it's quite expensive...I guess I'll have to keep trying.

Not sure the price range you're wanting to stay in but there are a lot more on ebay currently than I've seen in a while, loose cartridge prices for two of the auctions aren't bad at all.

so, which is better, this or commando?

I really like both, but I prefer the feel of Commando. I think it's mostly because of the sound. The TIA music in Ikari always made it feel "cheap" to me, but I think if it were upgraded to pokey, I would like it every bit as much as Commando. I found the gameplay of Ikari to be really solid once I got past the sounds.

• Like 4

Thanks for the map trebor I appreciate it ,I love this game I bought it online from eBay boxed with the manual for £14.99 buy it now price which I was very surprised to find at such a good price , its always a good idea to keep an eye out for these sort of things to get the best deal.

I'm on the lookout for an Atari jaguar for a bargain price but I'm not rushing it just for the buzz of a good price

They're both solid versions of some fun games. A couple of significant differences between the two... Ikara uses a narrow playfield and larger pixel steps in the movements for enemies, bombs, bullets, etc. The end result is that Ikari feels a little more cramped, and the sprite animations -- except for the protagonists -- are a little less smooth. Commando on the other hand uses the full width of the playfield and most, if not all, sprites move in single pixel increments. So you get the more spacious feel and smoother gameplay. The differences are probably at least partially for technical reasons, since Ikari seems to have more happening on the screen at one time. You've also got the two player thing going on. So basically some tradeoffs.

Commando also has the obvious advantage in the sound department, and a little more overall polish with the hi-res, detailed, and tastefully done status panel on top. Of course you have to excuse the sound comparison with Ikari a little, since so few games added a Pokey at the time. To it's credit, Ikari does a great job in the sound department, considering, and TIA sounds always have their own special character when done well. Being able to throw hand-grenades directionally in Ikari is a distinct advantage -- although there is something to be said for being able to run away diagonally, or otherwise, while lobbing a grenade forward in Commando.

Edited by MrFish

It's really funny that somebody else asked if there is a continue code for Ikari Warriors like on the NES version because I was wanting to post the same question here a few weeks back. :)

When I finally scored a copy of Ikari Warriors for the 7800, I kept trying to enter the old "ABBA" NES cheat on the controllers to no avail. Ikari is as tough as nails, just gotta prod through the level a lot slower I guess. Commando is a little more exiting and fast paced, both are a lot of fun depending on what your looking for.

According to one of the old gaming magazines there is some kind of level select secret code in Ikari Warriors for the 7800. Unfortunately nobody noes how to activate it.

Mitch

Perhaps a disassembly of the ROM is in order. That's how the Donkey Kong easter egg on the XL/XE was discovered.

• Like 1

Perhaps a disassembly of the ROM is in order. That's how the Donkey Kong easter egg on the XL/XE was discovered.

Yes, I believe that's how most of the 7800 easter eggs and cheat codes have been found. Are you volunteering? :)

Mitch