IGNORED

Atari 7800 on HDTV.....options besides video mod?

Stevaside

Well finally stepped out of the stone age (TV wise at least =P ) & got myself a decent flatscreen & after years of dreaming about how it would be, hooked up my Atari to it. As of now I have the single RCA to coax adapter piece screwed in to the back of TV...It is playable but has a little distortion & crap in the background...Any other adapters out there that could correct this & improve the picture aside from getting it modded....such as a single rca to composite or coax to composite if that'd be possible???

Thanks in advance,

Steve

But s-video you lose artifacting right?

Is there any easy kits(like boards you can install) for the 7800?

In every video mod thread there is nothing but problems. I am waiting for sometjing problem free to be developed before I go screwing up my 7800..

Yes its true crap in crap out..

Thanks for the repsonses so far...TV doesn't have S-Video, as it seems virtually none sold in stores do anymore...I was lucky enough to find one with a VGA input so I can try out the VGA Box for my Dreamcast too....I will look into that cable....Modding the 7800 would be cool if I were more sure on getting results....seems tempting but the last thing I wanna do is pay for the shipping & installation only to get it back looking just as bad or worse

Edited by Stevaside

Modding the 7800 would be cool if I were more sure on getting results....seems tempting but the last thing I wanna do is pay for the shipping & installation only to get it back looking just as bad or worse

Numerous people have gone with the service I linked to earlier.

Excellent results no worries or hassles. Not just one relatively recent thread on the same service - but this one too.

I received my pristine AT84 serial console back packaged more heavily then how I sent it. Externally, you would never know the thing was worked on if it wasn't for the new connections - Composite, Audio Out & S-Video. Go for it! :)

I personally vouch for the Electronic Sentimentalities route. The fellow that runs that establishment is one of the nicest people you'll deal with, and his capability and dedication to his craft is exemplary. You will NOT be disappointed.

• Like 1

The easieast way is to get a French 7800: it has a SCART/Péritel output, so one can plug it into recent TV sets in the blink of an eye.

But will SCART transfer the signal to HDMI? I ask because there's a UK based owner who posted in one of the Facebook Atari groups that he bought a SCART mod and he said not only do it export his UK console's PAL signal better than the Composite mods but the adapter is even easier to install it on an NTSC console.