IGNORED

Dan Kramer & Al Alcorn will speak at the Sunnyvale Atari Party on 6/14/2014

Lynxpro

Heads up 7800 fans!

Al Alcorn and Dan Kramer will be speaking at this year's "Atari Party" which will be held on Saturday June 14th in Atari's old stomping grounds of Sunnyvale California.

Al Alcorn needs no introduction but if you are unfamiliar with Dan Kramer, he created the TrakBalls for both the 2600 and 5200 amongst many other projects back at Atari Inc.

Bill Kendrick is also looking for volunteers, especially people willing to bring hardware. I'm not sure if the people bringing 7800s have home brew or hacked titles, custom controllers, or Cuttle or Harmony carts to show.

Here's a link to the official website:

http://www.newbreeds...tariparty/2014/

So mark your calendars, fellow 7800 fans, especially if you live near the Bay Area or will be in the area on that day!

Btw: Dan Kramer has mentioned on Facebook that he may be in possession of one of the unreleased 7800 ProLine Joystick Couplers designed for such games as Robotron. He's currently checking his inventory for them as well as prototype High Score Cartridges. His discussion and Al's will be events you won't want to miss!

• Like 1

Sorry, I never heard of these guys. Since Al Alcorn needs no introduction, I'll have to look him up on Wikapedia. ;)

Really? An Atari fan who doesn't know of Al Alcorn?

And Dan is on here I believe as both DKAtari and TrakMan.

Edited by Lynxpro

I was in cali a week ago.. my first time there. Very nice place. Hot and dry..maybe go back in 5 years.. drive down in my 68 mustang convertible then. Will make a stop at the atari building. Maybe eat an Et cart in the doorway..you only live once!!

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1

Please get the word out, folks. This is going to be fun... Atari 2600s/Flashbacks, 5200s, 7800s, Lynx/Jaguar, A8, and Atari ST will all be represented...

And having Al Alcorn and Dan Kramer there makes this an event not to miss!

• Like 1

There's a yearly "Atari Party" in Sunnyvale? When did this start??

I believe last year was the first one, in Davis, CA. Davis–home of the UC Davis campus, and right outside of Sacramento–is about a 90 min drive from Sunnyvale.

Last years' Atari party was at the public library in Davis, and was advertised on KDVS radio, which I love. It was pretty cool to hear a public announcement for the Atari Party.

I believe last year was the first one, in Davis, CA. Davis–home of the UC Davis campus, and right outside of Sacramento–is about a 90 min drive from Sunnyvale.

Last years' Atari party was at the public library in Davis, and was advertised on KDVS radio, which I love. It was pretty cool to hear a public announcement for the Atari Party.

It's been held in Davis for several years now. Bill Kendrick is the grand pooh-bah. Last year was the first time he held one also in Sunnyvale but this year it be the only location [so far].

What has been sad - to me - about the Davis events has been the almost total lack of participation from members from the former Atari Users Groups of the Sacramento area. We used to have ACCESS, SST/STAR, and YAC in the area.

It's been held in Davis for several years now. Bill Kendrick is the grand pooh-bah. Last year was the first time he held one also in Sunnyvale but this year it be the only location [so far].

What has been sad - to me - about the Davis events has been the almost total lack of participation from members from the former Atari Users Groups of the Sacramento area. We used to have ACCESS, SST/STAR, and YAC in the area.

Ah, okay. I didn't know about previous years at Davis, but perhaps that's tantamount to the lack of participation you've pointed out. Last year looked like a lot of fun. My fam is from Sac, and I'll be going there this weekend!

Edited by phattyboombatty
  • Like 1

Dan Kramer said on Facebook he'd sign 5200 TrakBall controllers, the 2800/Sears Video Arcade II aka Cindy, etc.

If I recall correctly, he worked on the original 2600 remote controllers, the 2600 TrakBall, the Cosmos, the 7800 project, and plenty of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Ah, okay. I didn't know about previous years at Davis, but perhaps that's tantamount to the lack of participation you've pointed out. Last year looked like a lot of fun. My fam is from Sac, and I'll be going there this weekend!

Wait, were you or your family members former Atari users group members in the Sacramento area during the 80s and/or 90s?

Not every member on here is a "know it all" ... saying a person needs no introduction is a presumption that everyone on the planet should know who Al Alcorn is.

My apologies. However, every gamer *should* know who Al Alcorn is. :)

• Like 1

I dont know who this acorn is.. I like atari.

Ok edit.. google search says made pong game at atari. Is a computer scientist.

Atari employee #3, former Atari VP, built Pong as a test for Nolan Bushnell, basically project managed on the 2600 and the Cosmos, wrangled Steve Jobs [his "fictional" self in the film Jobs calls Steve Jobs "an a$$hole"; he's only referred to as "Al" in the film], saved the Warner acquisition deal for Atari, reportedly stamped the first Apple motherboard back at Atari, later became an Apple Fellow, etc. He's a legend.

Edited by Lynxpro