IGNORED

'Atari 800 - Best Gamepack' Version 1.0 released

What I suggest is re-contact them as a collective (the whole team) ask would there be any issues if you were to include the Atari Mania database within your front end as the site rather than the indivual reponsable for the Atari 8-bit contribution as it has many contributors outside those would own and manage the site. Address tit to Atari Mania as a whole, rather than an indivual. I understand you wanting to do this right and I'm also sure the people you've already contacted know your honestly and intentions are for the good of preservation of the Atari 8-bit platform.

And sign up to their forum about it aswell. Again these guys over at Atari Mania are very cool bunch of people and I personally think they be honoured to have this included in your front end. All they can do is either say no or maybe, or be more than happy to have it included. And I think it will be the latter tbh.

Release now, you can always withdraw the release and alter it IF they find fault. There's been plenty of time for them to respond so either they are ok about it or too lazy to read emails?

As I have said before, there's already a gamebase out there with Atarimania links, they didn't find fault with that re links taking you to their site, its website promotion for them...

I think you have waited more than enough, let us all appreciate your hard work.

Or on holiday

Or ill

Or having any number of personal issues that mean a tardy reply is perfectly understandable..

However I'd love to see the full pack ASAP :-D

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Or on holiday

Or ill

Or having any number of personal issues that mean a tardy reply is perfectly understandable..

However I'd love to see the full pack ASAP :-D

sTeVE

Indeed you are right but I still say its actual promotion for their pages, there's nothing Atarimania copyrighted in the Gamebase, just a link to the site that takes the user to the site.

Not exactly theft :)

Hopefully Atari Frog and co will see the good side of this, anyway, someone is updating the Atarimania site so I reckon they just have read the emails and thought so what..

That's just MY guess tho :)

I love this gamepack! Great job Starwindz! Only issue I have found is that the "My Game Log" box appears out of location (see pic). This is version 1.02 Lite. Many apologies if this has already be covered prior.

Mike

gallery_16380_756_92442.jpg

I love this gamepack! Great job Starwindz! Only issue I have found is that the "My Game Log" box appears out of location (see pic). This is version 1.02 Lite. Many apologies if this has already be covered prior.

Mike

This issue is a bug of v1.02. This has been already fixed in v1.03. Anyway, thank you so much. :)

Edited by starwindz

The official letter in the name of project team will be sent to the following contacts for solving the issue about Atarimania database usage.

(1) e-mail: To Atarimania site admins

(2) Atarimania forum message: To Atarimania site admins

(3) Atarimania forum topic: To Atarimania site admins

If there are anyone who would like to join or support this project, please let me know your id or name. I will include you to member list of this project.

Also please review the draft of the following official letter.

Thank you.

To: Atarimania site admins (Atari 800)

Subject: Permission request of including Atarimania database to ‘Atari 800 – Best Game Pack’

Dear Atarimania site admins,

At first, thank you very much for making and organizing the Atarimania 8-bit database. Now we just would like to know your opinion about the usage of the Atarimania database for our project.

1. Project information:

(1) Title: Atari 800 – Best Game Pack

(2) Official blog: http://atari800.tistory.com/category/Home

(3) Official forum: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225101-atari-800-best-gamepack-version-10-released/

2. Project objective

(1) Preservation of best Atari 8-bit games and their database (Atarimania and Gamebase)

(2) Providing user friendly front-end for running games and accessing database (Covers, ads and manuals)

(Note: The result of this project will be released as public data such as atarimania.com and a8.fandal.cz.)

3. Request

(1) Permission of including Atarimania database to ‘Atari 800 – Best Game Pack’

(Note: We have sent the similar e-mail to you 23 days ago but no reply received.

Therefore, if there is no reply until 06/19/2014, we would like to release this software at 06/20/2014.)

4. Project members

(1) starwindz: Front-end programming and organizing database

(2) Mclaneinc: General comments and advice

(3) Greyfox: Logo graphic creation, General comments and advice

(4) Other people to be joined

Best regards,

‘Atari 800 – Best Game Pack’ Project Team

Edited by starwindz

Hi Starwindz,

I think you are overcomplicating the email, apart from the link to the site I presumed there's nothing directly from Atarimania, if you are refering to the games then 99.95 are available from open FTP sites etc and any games that Atarimania purchased then I'm sure they would either be happy to see them in a gamebase that is NON PROFIT or simply request them to be removed but as this is the creme de la creme of games I'd imagine they are everywhere to download. The same should go for present day developers who don't want their games in it.

The only thing atarimania wise that would require a request is anything watermarked to them and if they said no then I would not blame them as although some stuff has been PD but watermarked (naughty boys) a lot is down to them scanning things purchased by them and for those the atari community should offer a huge round of applause for their hard work and dedication.

So, what you decide to do is up to you but I'd suggest you wait till the 16th as you decided and then release if there's no reply, if there IS any Atarimania watermarked scans in the database then I'd suggest you remove them until you get a message either way but game wise I'd publish and then any parties unhappy with their games being in it can contact you for removal but as this is a non profit item I'd hope their gaming spirit would allow them to be in.

Thanks for allotting me 'Project member' status, I've only done a bit of tech help re Altirra that anyone could have done but its nice to be included....Thank you, just here to help.

Hi Starwindz,

I think you are overcomplicating the email, apart from the link to the site I presumed there's nothing directly from Atarimania, if you are refering to the games then 99.95 are available from open FTP sites etc and any games that Atarimania purchased then I'm sure they would either be happy to see them in a gamebase that is NON PROFIT or simply request them to be removed but as this is the creme de la creme of games I'd imagine they are everywhere to download. The same should go for present day developers who don't want their games in it.

The only thing atarimania wise that would require a request is anything watermarked to them and if they said no then I would not blame them as although some stuff has been PD but watermarked (naughty boys) a lot is down to them scanning things purchased by them and for those the atari community should offer a huge round of applause for their hard work and dedication.

So, what you decide to do is up to you but I'd suggest you wait till the 16th as you decided and then release if there's no reply, if there IS any Atarimania watermarked scans in the database then I'd suggest you remove them until you get a message either way but game wise I'd publish and then any parties unhappy with their games being in it can contact you for removal but as this is a non profit item I'd hope their gaming spirit would allow them to be in.

Thanks for allotting me 'Project member' status, I've only done a bit of tech help re Altirra that anyone could have done but its nice to be included....Thank you, just here to help.

I also think that I am little bit complicating this issue. So I have withdrawn sending another email to atarimania admins. If there is no reply until 06/16/2014, and then I will release the game pack until 06/17/2014.
Regarding usage of atarimania database, I understand what you mean and I agree with you. That is the atarimania watermarked scan data can be a problem since there is no atarimania's permission for including them to game pack. But I have decided that I will remove them if someone from atarimania raise an issue after the game pack released. It is virtually impossible to distinguish them since there are so many scanned covers and ads, and it is really huge-time consuming.
Edited by starwindz

Preview v1.03: Now 556 games. New features added. (Please find the difference between the second and third screenshot. :))

@Mclaneinc and @Greyfox

Please see the first screenshot. Your IDs have added as the names of project team. Is that okay with you? :)

post-39035-0-33814800-1402579430_thumb.jpg

post-39035-0-37144300-1402579434_thumb.jpg

post-39035-0-57453300-1402579438_thumb.jpg

post-39035-0-60923300-1402579442_thumb.jpg

More than fine with me, could you change it to Paul 'Mclane' Irvine instead though please, its just to keep in line with other projects I'm named in, was always my full name and nick in them....Sort of tradition :)

Oh and those screens look epic....Roll on the 16th...

Edited by Mclaneinc

More than fine with me, could you change it to Paul 'Mclane' Irvine instead though please, its just to keep in line with other projects I'm named in, was always my full name and nick in them....Sort of tradition :)

Oh and those screens look epic....Roll on the 16th...

Okay, I have just changed it now. Thank you. :)

Finally, V1.03 has been released.

Click here to download it.

For some personal schedule, I am not able to release the game pack at the appointed date, 06/17/2014. So I have decided to release the game pack today. I think that postponement is not a good idea at the present point. :)

post-39035-0-41606300-1402843592_thumb.jpg

post-39035-0-29402200-1402843601_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU, getting it now and am the 1st to download it :)

Just a quick look and I found that the screen shots used for Jawbreaker II are actually Jawbreaker I , sorry...Jawbreaker II isn't a pac man style game.

Edited by Mclaneinc

with it being Father's Day over were I live, this is one of the best Father's Day treats I've had indirectly lol...cracking work with the front end and amazing job through and through..thank you for making this a wonder to behold ;)

Edited by Greyfox

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU, getting it now and am the 1st to download it :)

Just a quick look and I found that the screen shots used for Jawbreaker II are actually Jawbreaker I , sorry...Jawbreaker II isn't a pac man style game.

Small fix file for this problem will be released within this weekend. Thank you. :)