IGNORED

5200 Repair

pbishop

I've got an old Atari 5200 which stopped working 20 years ago. I just pulled it out, and it still boots up but it still has the same problem. The game (every game I've tried) will come on, but I cannot start it. Back when I first had trouble with it I thought the controllers were bad because the Start button was on the joystick. We ordered brand new controls from Atari but they didn't fix the problem. When I started it last night the sound also didn't come through even though the picture was fine. Is this a common problem with the 5200 that can be fixed? If so are there any reference materials for do-it-yourselfers? If not who can I call?

What I meant by the "game started" was that the Atari logo came up and then the game demo started (if there was a demo on the cartridge).

I don't think the game demo's included sounds. Could be the controllers or controller ports on the console. Only way to probably know for sure is to try a known working 5200 controller and see if it will start the game.

I have a 5200 that doesn't work. I had to piece it together. Switchbox from Corssbow, Power supply from... Can't recall, and Realsports Baseball from oesii...

Power it up and nothing happens. I have everything hooked up correctly, and no sounds on anything, no led powerup, and no pic on screen. Just nothing.

Any help would be helpful.

It's all good, even though you were supposed to pay for the shipping at some point. :D

Inky, I think your 5200's problem is likely the voltage regulator, it's an easy fix and an easy one to test. I just got my hands on the real 5200 field service manual, I can probably fixed most problems now but shipping those beasts around is expensive. :(

I had the same problem Inky. There was a guy on these boards named NoahsMyBro who has some experience fixing 5200's. He traded me a 2 port for my DOA from auction 4 port. He changed the voltage regualtors and I think something else minor and got it working. I haven't seen him around here in a while though. He's in the member list if you want to try emailing him.

Here's his post upon fixing it:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14927